Forum Logos Design Discussion

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.

Forum Logos Design Discussion

Postby Giant Space Hamster » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 pm

We have gotten a bit behind with forum logos. I can't put them up when I create new forums, for technical reasons.

This topic here, is to help the people who are going to help me work on getting the logos onto the server (so that I can link them to the appropriate forums) find the logos that are being created by the logo-artists who are helping to make one or more logos for each campaign setting/ruleset.

LIST OF FORUMS WAITING FOR LOGOS:

I'm going to edit a list of forums into this post later. I think I can find the topics, but if anyone wants to save me a bit of time and post links, that might speed things up a bit.

PIAZZA FORUM LOGO DESIGN REQUIREMENTS:

We have had a number of people spend time making logos the wrong shape or size in the past so here is what is needed: A 90x30 pixel PNG file, in the correct proportions.

PNG files for logos should be based on clean logos, with any product cover background removed and replaced by a transparent background. If there is any doubt about a logo (or if there are two or more logos for a particular setting or ruleset) it is sometimes good to post full-size screen grabs of the original logos on their product covers, in a discussion specific to that logo. That can help several people focus in on the pros and cons of working from that particular source art.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.
Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Re: Forum Logos Design Discussion

Postby Isuru » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:48 am

In regards to the individual campaign setting subforums, the following are currently without logos, but have candidates produced for them:

Image Star Wars: Dragonhelm created a well formatted one of the metallic logo, which seems to work with a variety of forum themes/skins.

Image Middle-Earth: Falconer produced one from the ICE logo of the '90s, which the thread for the Middle-Earth forum logo seemed to trend towards consensus.

Image Call of Cthulhu: I resized one from a webpage of a convention. It's not in the classic yellow, but the embossed effect probably means it works with more forum skins. This is another forum that may have an existing logo discussion or option, but I didn't see it when I checked.

Image Council of Wyrms: Dragonhelm pulled through again by extracting the very intricate Council of Wyrms logo from box art.

Image Warhammer: I grabbed the army-on-the-horizon logo and resized it to format. [Edit: Tried redoing the logo a few times using different compression, did nothing.]

Also -
Midgard: The current Midgard logo was a temporary placeholder since it does not have background transparency and its slightly mis-sized. I've uploaded a couple of options prior:

And also included one made from the recent logo of the setting's upcoming second edition:
[Edit: This is a modified one from the one I posted originally, fixing some scaling issues that distorted enough details to hampered legibility and fade out major features (mainly the dragon horn). This is the improved one, please use this version if going with the newer Midgard logo.]

Of the game system forums, I believe Original Dungeons & Dragons does not have a logo. [Edit: See posts below.]

Homebrew Worlds: Since all the settings have a logo or one in the works (incuding the catch-all Other Worlds forum), it seems remissed to leave the Homebrew Worlds forum blank. I've composed a few potential logos based on the Other Worlds theme of a planet over a dark field/space. The images were extracted from a NASA image (artistic interpretation) of recently discovered exoplanets [This Image]. Unless I am mistaken, those images should be available for non-commercial, fair use according to their media use rules. (If use of those NASA images are not as open as I thought, then I can delete these to avoid non-compliance with stated rights.) [Edit: See posts below.]

For consideration for the Homebrew Worlds logo:

There are a few other planets in that image, but these seemed to "pop" more due to the contrast. I have the working file saved and can whip up more variations if needed. I can also colorize the black background of the above proposed Homebrew World logos to reduce the harsh contrast between planet and space (see the Other World logo for what I mean).
Last edited by Isuru on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Nice work Isuru. I'm on lunch, but I'll see if I can get all the links (to the logo discussions) added into the top post, tonight.

(I am also supposed to be shopping for a micrphone/headset, so that I can be in an online Spelljammer game.)

The World of Kulan logo (a subforum of Homebrew Worlds) also needs to be there. Knightfall had two designs for that and didn't choose which one he wanted, last time we had a good workflow of logos going up.

Of the campaign setting, subforums (for subsettings) we only need a logo made for the Chainmail forum (that's Greyhawk's subsetting Chainmail - as in the Sundered Empire - not the pre-D&D product).

I think that would bring us up to date, but given that it's pretty hard to organise a workflow, where I create a bespoke forum, and then another person uploads the logo, and then I go back to the forum and link to the logo, I'm wondering if it might be worth making a few logos ahead of the forums being created. :?

(The risk with creating logos ahead of forums, is that if people are not interested enough in a setting - or rules system - the person creating the logo would be wasting their time. ;( But I guess that, if they understand the risk, and if they don't make a logo before something has several topics, it would be less annoying if they made a logo that didn't get used.)

I'm also wondering if it might be worth having a blank 90x30 transparant logo, so that I can space out forums that do not have a logo yet.

As for the NASA thing, I believe they have information about copyright of NASA images on their website. I think you might be right about them allowing free use, but it would be best to check the section that you grabbed the image from.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Isuru » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:43 am

Big Mac wrote:Of the campaign setting, subforums (for subsettings) we only need a logo made for the Chainmail forum (that's Greyhawk's subsetting Chainmail - as in the Sundered Empire - not the pre-D&D product).

Is this the logo for that variant of Chainmail? I've never heard of the Sundered Empire subsetting until encountering the discussions on the Piazza.
This was just a quick trial based on what I could find at a glance through google. Will have to fix the text border which did not survive the rescaling.

Edit: Found a better starting point and updated potential forum logo in a couple of posts below.
Included here for comparison.

Big Mac wrote:I think that would bring us up to date, but given that it's pretty hard to organise a workflow, where I create a bespoke forum, and then another person uploads the logo, and then I go back to the forum and link to the logo, I'm wondering if it might be worth making a few logos ahead of the forums being created. :?

(The risk with creating logos ahead of forums, is that if people are not interested enough in a setting - or rules system - the person creating the logo would be wasting their time. ;( But I guess that, if they understand the risk, and if they don't make a logo before something has several topics, it would be less annoying if they made a logo that didn't get used.)

This depends on the availability of the logo or the relative ease of extracting it from existing materials. It was relatively simple to find something for a popular property as say Warhammer, while something like Jakandor would likely have to be digitally cut out of a cover image.

Whipped up this for Sovereign Stone relatively painlessly.

Here is the new one for Pathfinder, if that is more your style.

It seems in all likelihood, Sovereign Stone may be the next setting reaching critical mass to bud off into its own subforum.

Big Mac wrote:I'm also wondering if it might be worth having a blank 90x30 transparant logo, so that I can space out forums that do not have a logo yet.

Easy enough to create.
Image <- Here is a Blank Logo spacer, just a 90 x 30 transparent .png.
May we call it the "Invisible Stalker" (Reference)?

Also, here is an attempt at an OD&D rules set logo.
Rather than extracting it out of an existing image of the original booklets (or the reprints), I doubt I have the skill to produce an intact image from such an attempt, I recreated this from a facsimile font in a red color reminiscent of Men & Magic (can easily create a green or blue one to match Monsters & Treasure or The Underground & Wilderness Adventures). Then applied a very faint drop shadow so it isn't too flat against the forum background theme. This can be tweaked as desired (color, shadow, size, etc.)

Edit: Extracted a logo from a scan of the actual OD&D print booklet. Slightly more detailed description a few posts below.
Included here for comparison.

Big Mac wrote:As for the NASA thing, I believe they have information about copyright of NASA images on their website. I think you might be right about them allowing free use, but it would be best to check the section that you grabbed the image from.

As per their Media Usage Guidelines :
NASA Media Usage Guidelines wrote:Still Images, Audio Recordings, Video, and Related Computer Files for Non-Commercial Use
NASA content - images, audio, video, and computer files used in the rendition of 3-dimensional models, such as texture maps and polygon data in any format - generally are not copyrighted. You may use this material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits, computer graphical simulations and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages.

The guidelines go on for other uses cases; educational, commercial, licensing, etc., and notes one could contact them regarding a specific image. However, based on the first guideline point and the non-commercial use, not sure it warrants such a procedure.
Last edited by Isuru on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Isuru wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Of the campaign setting, subforums (for subsettings) we only need a logo made for the Chainmail forum (that's Greyhawk's subsetting Chainmail - as in the Sundered Empire - not the pre-D&D product).

Is this the logo for that variant of Chainmail? I've never heard of the Sundered Empire subsetting until encountering the discussions on the Piazza.
This was just a quick trial based on what I could find at a glance through google. Will have to fix the text border which did not survive the rescaling.

That's the exact right logo. But as you say, the border seems to be a problem. (I had logos going fuzzy around the edges, when I was trying to make them. I think you are better at solving this issue than me.)

I didn't know about Chainmail/The Sundered Empire before I joined The Piazza either. I have learned so much stuff, since I came here. (And I thought I was pretty good at Spelljammer-fu, but am constantly finding more obscure books with SJ references.)

They used Chainmail for miniatures combat, during the early 3e Era, so some of the books are pretty "lite" on the amount of detail they go into. But there is just enough to run a campaign on that part of Oerth.

Isuru wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think that would bring us up to date, but given that it's pretty hard to organise a workflow, where I create a bespoke forum, and then another person uploads the logo, and then I go back to the forum and link to the logo, I'm wondering if it might be worth making a few logos ahead of the forums being created. :?

This depends on the availability of the logo or the relative ease of extracting it from existing materials. It was relatively simple to find something for a popular property as say Warhammer, while something like Jakandor would likely have to be digitally cut out of a cover image.

Whipped up this for Sovereign Stone relatively painlessly.

Here is the new one for Pathfinder, if that is more your style.

The old school logo is probably more iconic, but I think that the new school logo, that Tony got put onto the Pathfinder products, is clearer to see.

Isuru wrote:It seems in all likelihood, Sovereign Stone may be the next setting reaching critical mass to bud off into its own subforum.

I think it is practically there, to be honest.

Isuru wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm also wondering if it might be worth having a blank 90x30 transparant logo, so that I can space out forums that do not have a logo yet.

Easy enough to create.
Image <- Here is a Blank Logo spacer, just a 90 x 30 transparent .png.
May we call it the "Invisible Stalker" (Reference)?

Also, here is an attempt at an OD&D rules set logo.
Rather than extracting it out of an existing image of the original booklets (or the reprints), I doubt I have the skill to produce an intact image from such an attempt, I recreated this from a facsimile font in a red color reminiscent of Men & Magic (can easily create a green or blue one to match Monsters & Treasure or The Underground & Wilderness Adventures). Then applied a very faint drop shadow so it isn't too flat against the forum background theme. This can be tweaked as desired (color, shadow, size, etc.)

That looks great.

I didn't realise that the ampersand was that far away before. I'll have to go find the original logo and blink between your one and the original one.

Isuru wrote:
Big Mac wrote:As for the NASA thing, I believe they have information about copyright of NASA images on their website. I think you might be right about them allowing free use, but it would be best to check the section that you grabbed the image from.

As per their Media Usage Guidelines :
NASA Media Usage Guidelines wrote:Still Images, Audio Recordings, Video, and Related Computer Files for Non-Commercial Use
NASA content - images, audio, video, and computer files used in the rendition of 3-dimensional models, such as texture maps and polygon data in any format - generally are not copyrighted. You may use this material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits, computer graphical simulations and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages.

The guidelines go on for other uses cases; educational, commercial, licensing, etc., and notes one could contact them regarding a specific image. However, based on the first guideline point and the non-commercial use, not sure it warrants such a procedure.

Big Mac's brain is not here right now. Please leave a message after the beep...BEEP! ;)
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Isuru » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Isuru wrote:

That's the exact right logo. But as you say, the border seems to be a problem. (I had logos going fuzzy around the edges, when I was trying to make them. I think you are better at solving this issue than me.)

I didn't know about Chainmail/The Sundered Empire before I joined The Piazza either. I have learned so much stuff, since I came here. (And I thought I was pretty good at Spelljammer-fu, but am constantly finding more obscure books with SJ references.)

They used Chainmail for miniatures combat, during the early 3e Era, so some of the books are pretty "lite" on the amount of detail they go into. But there is just enough to run a campaign on that part of Oerth.

I found a better quality source to start with for a Chainmail forum logo. After snipping out the black background and placing it into a transparent .png, it turned out better than I expected.
Edit 1: Cleaned the image up a bit more.

Edit 2:
Finally got around to snipping the original logo from someone's scan of the OD&D booklet. Here it is in all its old school glory. This is not a recreation using the same font as I cobbled together in an earlier post. This is extracted right from a book bearing the first version of the logo, the pixels that make up this image are a copy of a copy that at some point originated from a scan of real dead tree and ink.

Here's a version of it over two lines for improved legibility. This one looks better I think.

Edit 3:
Updated the Midgard Logo for better scaling.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Isuru » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:30 am

I noticed the Other Worlds logo, while a 90x30 pixel .png, does not have the background extend across the entire length of the image. This makes it seem undersized when place near other logos that take up the entire space, especially ones with full backgrounds. I've extended the background to match the full 90 px width.
Isuru
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:35 am

Hi Isuru.

I'm delighted to be able to tell you two things (assuming you have not already noticed).

• Firstly, Ashtagon found the time to set up things so that Chimpman could upload logos to the server.
  • Secondly, Chimpman has found the time to upload logos for Call of Cthulhu, Council of Wyrms, Middle-earth, Star Wars and Warhammer.

That's not quite everything you have been working on. I know that we still need to get Chainmail, OD&D and Homebrew Worlds up. And I forgot that you worked on some tweaked logos. (And I know that you were trying to work ahead a bit too.)

One thing that I have become a little bit confused about is that you have actually rebooted some of your logos, so there is a chance that the logos I got passed onto Chimpman might have been outdated ones that you improved upon without me noticing. I do apologise if that's happened, as it would entirely be my fault if Chimpman got asked to upload an older version.

Thanks for helping The Piazza look better. :cool:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:04 pm

How could you possibly make a logo for Homebrew Worlds? By definition, they're all different; what single logo could represent them all equally well?
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi Isuru,

I think we have caught up with you now.

Thanks for your help! :cool:

willpell wrote:How could you possibly make a logo for Homebrew Worlds? By definition, they're all different; what single logo could represent them all equally well?

The logo represents the Homebrew Worlds forum, not all the individual homebrew worlds within it. I think that Isuru has done an excellent job.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Kippin' Griffin