The Piazza's 9th Birthday Party (Sun 21 May 12 noon)

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.

The Piazza's 9th Birthday Party (Sun 21 May 12 noon)

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 pm

It's that time of year again.

I've already made personal plans for the weekend of the 27th May, but seeing as how the birthday is actually on the 22nd May, let's aim for Saturday 20th May. That date is actually closer anyway.

Who's up for a London pub meet , either preceded or followed by a trip to a local eatery and/or Leisure Games/Orc's Nest/both?

EDIT (by Big Mac): We are going for Sunday 21st May at The Pendril's Oak at 12.00 noon, with a side-trek to My Old Dutch at 13.00.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: The Piazza's 9th Birthday Party

Postby Big Mac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Ashtagon wrote:It's that time of year again.

I've already made personal plans for the weekend of the 27th May, but seeing as how the birthday is actually on the 22nd May, let's aim for Saturday 20th May. That date is actually closer anyway.

Who's up for a London pub meet , either preceded or followed by a trip to a local eatery and/or Leisure Games/Orc's Nest/both?

Sounds great, but I'm in Auld Dragon's Spelljammer gameon Saturdays. I've been waiting decades to play Spelljammer, so I don't want to skip that.

I'll have to find some way to split myself in half.

Perhaps I can come early and slink off an hour and a half before the show starts (if I do all the prep on Friday). If you want to go to Leisure Games, I'll probably have to leave earlier as that's up in North London.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Hugin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 am

Wow! I can't believe it's been nearly 9 years already.

Absolutely incredible.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:50 am

Hugin wrote:Wow! I can't believe it's been nearly 9 years already.

Absolutely incredible.
Where does the time go? Feels like it wan't that long ago that I registered for The Piazza.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Ashtagon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:36 am

Seeing as how BigMac has specific plans for Sat 20th May on a spelljammer thing, would there be more take up for Sunday 21st for a meetup? This does however mean that Orc's Nest would be closed, although Leisure Games will be open.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Big Mac » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 am

Ashtagon wrote:Seeing as how BigMac has specific plans for Sat 20th May on a spelljammer thing, would there be more take up for Sunday 21st for a meetup? This does however mean that Orc's Nest would be closed, although Leisure Games will be open.

I can go on the Saturday, but I have to get home before 5pm. (If we go up to Leisure Games, I would have to leave earlier than if we went to Orc's Nest, as I live in South West London.)

If you did switch it to the Sunday, I would hope to get home by 8pm (instead of 5pm) as I hang out in the chatroom on Maze Arcana's live streamed Eberron game. Ruty Woot (the GM) asked about the Piazza's Birthday Party a while ago, so maybe he will give the custom forum title giveaway a mention on his show. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat May 13, 2017 11:20 am

I went to our usual pub (The Bard's Bonce*) yesterday and it's closed for refurbishment. :o

* = OK, it's really called The Shakespeare's Head but my name is more fun. ;)

There is another Weatherspoons pub nearby, called The Pendril's Oak, which I've been to before, that is pretty good. It's also nearby to Holburn Station. The address is:
    283–288 High Holborn
    Holborn
    London
    WC1V 7HP

They have a secret basement, but that's only open on Saturday...and I think we are doing Sunday.

Here is a map to get there from Holburn Underground Station.

The directions are pretty easy:
  • Go out of the exit on the right, when you come up the escalators,
  • Turn right and head east along High Holburn,
  • Walk for 5 minutes and The Pendril's Oak will be on your right (as you get to an alley called Great Turnstile)

I walked down Great Turnstile yesterday, and sadly the gigantic turnstile I was hoping to see was not there. :roll:

Fun fact: The Pendril's Oak is named in honour of Richard Penderel who helped King Charles II escape the Parliamentarian soldiers during the English Civil War by hiding him in an oak tree (among other places) until he could find a way to get the king out of the area.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Yaztromo » Sat May 13, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm in a different continet, now...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 14, 2017 11:53 pm

I spoke to Ashtagon. We are going to go to The Pendril's Oak at 12.00, on Sunday 21st May, and then head down to My Old Dutch for food at 13.00. After we eat we will head back to the pub.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: The Piazza's 9th Birthday Party (Sun 21 May 12 noon)

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 am

this sounds like it would be so much fun

but sadly I'm on the wrong side of the Pond to attend
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon May 15, 2017 2:11 am

Hopefully one of these years I'll be able to attend.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 15, 2017 7:20 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Hopefully one of these years I'll be able to attend.

Maybe a few of you in the USA (or somewhere else) can meet up somewhere else one day. :)

If you do, perhaps we could do a Skype call or something. :idea:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon May 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:If you do, perhaps we could do a Skype call or something. :idea:
Skype is doable!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby nerik » Thu May 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Unfortunately, my brother's birthday do is on the same day, (at almost the same time), so I can't make it this year.

We will need to remember this for next year.
nerik
Bionoid

Postby Big Mac » Thu May 18, 2017 5:09 pm

nerik wrote:Unfortunately, my brother's birthday do is on the same day, (at almost the same time), so I can't make it this year.

We will need to remember this for next year.

That's a great reason not to be able to make it. I hope that your brother has a great birthday. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby nerik » Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 am

Big Mac wrote:That's a great reason not to be able to make it. I hope that your brother has a great birthday. :)

Thanks!
nerik
Bionoid

Postby Ashtagon » Sat May 20, 2017 10:01 am

As is traditional, there will be nine custom forum titles available for the asking (one for each year the forum has been running).

The rules:

1. At some point on Sunday (UK daytime), a thread will be started, inviting people to request custom titles.
2. Anyone with who currently has a custom title can request a new one. This will replace the current custom title.
3. Requests will be considered in order of their appearance on the thread. Once nine titles have been approved, that's it (until next year).
4. I reserve the right to reject custom titles requests for any reason or no reason. This may be because of (but is not limited to) the following reason: offensive, liable to cause confusion, presents legal issues, duplicates an existing title.
5. Anyone with a custom forum title may at any time request to have their custom title reset to the default (which is based on their post count).
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Return to The Kippin' Griffin