If subforums could "level up" (Forum Levels)

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.

If subforums could "level up" (Forum Levels)

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Nine years ago, I got (over)excited about working out the Forum Ranks (and posting stats for each rank). Now that I've become an administrator, I kind of can't really do that any more, but I've been wondering about what sort of forum ranks the various subforums at The Piazza might have for a while.

There is no system for this, so I thought I'd invent one, for my own amusement. I'm going to post it so that anyone nerdy enough to want to follow what I'm doing can have a look.

I'm using three things as the starting point for my system:
  • Ashtagon's minimum topic requirement for a forum is 10 topics (making 10 topics into the "Level 1" requrement),
  • British money works with a 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 progression and
  • Replies are as important as topics (if not more so) so I'm going with a baseline of "ten replies per topic".

So, working from these rules I have set myself, I'm going to assign forum levels in this progression (rather than try to emulate XP from any edition of D&D):

I will edit the above table, and add more levels, if I need to, but you should be able to work out the progression from that. :)

The nerdy "Forum Levels" will be posted in the next post (after I work them out).

EDIT: Here is a list of posts with stats:
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: If subforums could "level up" (Forum Levels)

Postby Havard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:15 pm

I like that you are including both threads and total posts.

I remember being very frustrated at another website back in the days for insisting that only the number of threads should be used in determining status of forums. That meant that forums with lots of long and interesting discussions was actually being punished for that. Glad we are not taking that route! :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Havard wrote:I like that you are including both threads and total posts.

I remember being very frustrated at another website back in the days for insisting that only the number of threads should be used in determining status of forums. That meant that forums with lots of long and interesting discussions was actually being punished for that. Glad we are not taking that route! :)

Well it's only a fun thing anyway.

But if I was going to go on just one thing, I'd go on post count, rather than topic count.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:32 am

No consideration for the number of views as well??? :)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Forum Levels for 16 June 2017 (Forum Order)

Here is the table that explains the forum levels.

Big Mac wrote:

I might come back and edit this post and add another version of the top table, with the forums sorted by level (highest to lowest).

EDIT: I just added this:

Forum Levels for 16 June 2017 (Level Order - And Post Count Within Each Level)

Last edited by Big Mac on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Yaztromo wrote:No consideration for the number of views as well??? :)

I think that is only visible on individual topics. :o

But feel free to make your own topic and sit down with an adding machine to work out what the views would be. :twisted:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Big Mac wrote:I might come back and edit this post and add another version of the top table, with the forums sorted by level (highest to lowest).

I just did. See the previous post.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Morfie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:03 am

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I might come back and edit this post and add another version of the top table, with the forums sorted by level (highest to lowest).

I just did. See the previous post.

Thanks Big Mac.. for answering Big Mac's question. :D
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 am

I love this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I love this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing!

One forum has already "levelled up" since I posted this. :)

I used to go to nerdy lengths trying to reverse-engineer Ashtagon's forum ranks (but when she made me into a Junior Administrator I stopped doing that).

And I once worked out a pie chart of the top posters on the forum.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:46 am

Big Mac wrote:I once worked out a pie chart of the top posters on the forum.

I love visualizations like that.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I once worked out a pie chart of the top posters on the forum.

I love visualizations like that.

Here it is:
Freaks of The Piazza motivator by David Shepheard, on Flickr
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:02 am

So 12 people generated nearly half the posts as of 7 years ago? That's crazy!
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:48 am

Tim Baker wrote:So 12 people generated nearly half the posts as of 7 years ago? That's crazy!

Yes. That's correct. You can look at the memberlist sorted by post count if you want to try to repeat the calculations I used to make that chart.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Khedrac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:08 am

I resent the assumption that the rest of us necessarily have social lives...
(That said, I wasn't a member back then.)
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:11 am

Khedrac wrote:I resent the assumption that the rest of us necessarily have social lives...

:lol:

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Khedrac wrote:I resent the assumption that the rest of us necessarily have social lives...

No social life, huh? That's fighting talk! :lol:

Well your "I don't have a social life" number is currently 0.29 ppd. (Mine is 6.24 ppd.)

You are currently behind froglegg on page 7 of The Piazza leaderboard. (Froglegg only has 0.04, so I think you can leap past him. #DYSWIDT)

Alzirus (0.11 ppd) might stay ahead of you for a while, but I think you will eventually catch him. But Mike Myler also has 0.29 ppd, so I think you will struggle to ever catch him.

Sarastro Magnifico has 0.21 ppd, so you will probably catch him eventually, but not too quickly.

Everyone else ahead of you on your page is also listed as 0.04 ppd, so if you want to prove you have no social life, and get onto page 6 of the leaderboard, you might be able to do it, assuming there are some slow people on page 6 that you and Mike Myler can steal the slots from. ;)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Khedrac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:No social life, huh? That's fighting talk! :lol:

Well your "I don't have a social life" number is currently 0.29 ppd. (Mine is 6.24 ppd.)

You are currently behind froglegg on page 7 of The Piazza leaderboard. (Froglegg only has 0.04, so I think you can leap past him. #DYSWIDT)

Alzirus (0.11 ppd) might stay ahead of you for a while, but I think you will eventually catch him. But Mike Myler also has 0.29 ppd, so I think you will struggle to ever catch him.

Sarastro Magnifico has 0.21 ppd, so you will probably catch him eventually, but not too quickly.

Everyone else ahead of you on your page is also listed as 0.04 ppd, so if you want to prove you have no social life, and get onto page 6 of the leaderboard, you might be able to do it, assuming there are some slow people on page 6 that you and Mike Myler can steal the slots from. ;)

I assume ppd is posts per day?

Yes, I have a couple of problems with pushing it up - one is that my main board to lurk at is GiantITP so I post there rather more often than here, and I am also more of a lurker than a poster :(
The other is that my work varies between "working flat out with no time to look at the PC with internet access" and "spend (nearly) all day on the internet because I have nothing to do" (our part of the project is effectively done so we spend most of our time waiting on others). Now this latter sounds good, but my work PC usually gets a network access error on these forums whenever I browse into a sub-forum, something it doesn't seem to do anywhere else. It's not a blocked website as that is a different message (found that out with Project Gutenberg), it just rarely works from my office. It could be something to do with the routing as the network portal is usually in Germany even though I work int he UK (which really messes up listening to the cricket on the BBC).

So yes, just because I don't spend my life posting on here doesn't mean I have a social life (one of the reasons why I grabbed a custom forum title last year) but I will see what I can do to rectify my miserly post count.
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:No social life, huh? That's fighting talk! :lol:

I assume ppd is posts per day?

Yes it is. I abbreviated it. The forum writes it in full.

Khedrac wrote:Yes, I have a couple of problems with pushing it up - one is that my main board to lurk at is GiantITP so I post there rather more often than here, and I am also more of a lurker than a poster :(

Giant in the Playground do some cool stuff. I don't blame you for hanging out over there. And there is nothing wrong with a bit of lurking. But it is nice when people delurk and you can have a chat with them.

Khedrac wrote:The other is that my work varies between "working flat out with no time to look at the PC with internet access" and "spend (nearly) all day on the internet because I have nothing to do" (our part of the project is effectively done so we spend most of our time waiting on others). Now this latter sounds good, but my work PC usually gets a network access error on these forums whenever I browse into a sub-forum, something it doesn't seem to do anywhere else. It's not a blocked website as that is a different message (found that out with Project Gutenberg), it just rarely works from my office. It could be something to do with the routing as the network portal is usually in Germany even though I work int he UK (which really messes up listening to the cricket on the BBC).

That's odd. I do occasionally get problems with a page on The Piazza loading, but if I immediately reload the page, it usually loads the second time.

There was a time, in the past, when I was using Internet Explorer and I kept loosing my posts. I use Firefox now, and have much less problems, although my work PC just went a bit weird with some other websites. (We swapped it out, as we got asked to test Windows 10, so that's fixed that problem.)

If you can try using a different browser, I would suggest giving that a go.

Khedrac wrote:So yes, just because I don't spend my life posting on here doesn't mean I have a social life (one of the reasons why I grabbed a custom forum title last year) but I will see what I can do to rectify my miserly post count.

I'm glad you got that title. Those custom titles are fun. But, seriously, it's more about cool ideas here, than post count. So if you have any great ideas, please do share them.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:31 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:So 12 people generated nearly half the posts as of 7 years ago? That's crazy!

Yes. That's correct. You can look at the memberlist sorted by post count if you want to try to repeat the calculations I used to make that chart.

WOW! I just found out I'm already in the second page!!! :shock: ;) :cool:
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:09 am

Yaztromo wrote:WOW! I just found out I'm already in the second page!!! :shock: ;) :cool:

Congrats! I just took a look and saw that I just made it onto the second page, too.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:43 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Yaztromo wrote:WOW! I just found out I'm already in the second page!!! :shock: ;) :cool:

Congrats! I just took a look and saw that I just made it onto the second page, too.

When you start looking at the "posts per day" of the people above you, to see if you think you can catch them up, that's when it's time to join Postaholics Anonymous. ;)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Missed the top ten by that much -> 1 :oops:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Khedrac » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:51 pm

When I look at the memberlist I can see the date of joining and the total post count, but I don't see a "posts/day" column - is there one in a view I am missing, or are people dropping this into a spredhseet and adding a calculated formula?
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby RobJN » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Khedrac wrote:When I look at the memberlist I can see the date of joining and the total post count, but I don't see a "posts/day" column - is there one in a view I am missing, or are people dropping this into a spredhseet and adding a calculated formula?

It's calculated on the Profile Viewer page, found by clicking on the user's name.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Next

Return to The Kippin' Griffin