[Book-House][1e] Deities & Demigods Cthulhu/Melnibonean

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.

[Book-House][1e] Deities & Demigods Cthulhu/Melnibonean

Postby Big Mac » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:01 pm

We have a page for Deities & Demigods on the Book-House on The Piazza. It could use a little love, but seeing what Falconer said in this Cthulhu topic I think we might have a problem with it:
Falconer wrote:A nitpick, if I may. The AD&D book was titled Deities & Demigods for printings 1-4, and Legends & Lore for printings 5-8. The Cthulhu Mythos is contained only in printings 1-2, so, definitely it should be cited under the earlier title.

Checking Acaeum shows not just 4 versions of Deities & Demigods, but something they call "Forth Plus" that was published with that title, before the book was renamed Legends & Lore. We have a Legends & Lore page on the Book-House, but that's a page about the 2e version.

One of the reasons for the Book-House is to help people work out what D&D books they want to buy. And it seems to me that this book is very confusing (or could be very confusing, to someone who doesn't know about the removal of two pantheons or the name change).

I don't think the Book-House is likely to go into the same sort of nerdy level of detail that Acaeum does (that's why the pages here link to their articles) but I'm thinking we need more disambiguation with this book.

I'm trying to decide between keeping this on one page or having two pages. I think we need a generic "warning" template for books where purchasers have to be careful about which specific printings they buy. :?

What do people think would be easiest from the point of view of a newbie, who knows nothing about the 17 pantheons being dropped down to 15?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Book-House][1e] Deities & Demigods Cthulhu/Melnibonean

Postby ghendar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:I don't think the Book-House is likely to go into the same sort of nerdy level of detail that Acaeum does (that's why the pages here link to their articles) but I'm thinking we need more disambiguation with this book.

Well, with the above being true and not likely to change, then I would think a warning directing folks to the Acaeum page would work. I would direct everyone (noobs or otherwise) to the excellent Acaeum resources
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Big Mac » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:17 pm

ghendar wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I don't think the Book-House is likely to go into the same sort of nerdy level of detail that Acaeum does (that's why the pages here link to their articles) but I'm thinking we need more disambiguation with this book.

Well, with the above being true and not likely to change, then I would think a warning directing folks to the Acaeum page would work. I would direct everyone (noobs or otherwise) to the excellent Acaeum resources

Not likely to change...unless I change it. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ghendar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am

Big Mac wrote:
ghendar wrote:

Not likely to change...unless I change it. :)

:lol:
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:42 pm

I just saw James M. Ward post a statement about Melnibonean/Lovecraft content in Deities & Demigods and have made an adjustment to the Deities & Demigods article on the Book-House.

I think I still need an article for the 1e version of Legends & Lore despite the fact that it is just the cut-down Deities & Demigods with a new cover.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Kippin' Griffin