Timing for Discord Chat

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.

What day of the week works best for a Discord chat (in UTC)?

Monday
11%
Tuesday
11%
Wednesday
11%
Thursday
11%
Friday
22%
Saturday
22%
Sunday
11%

Total votes: 9

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Timing for Discord Chat

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:27 am

Is there a particular day(s) of the week that works well for a Discord chat?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: Timing for Discord Chat

Post by Coronoides » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:31 am

At +10 hours from UTC any day other than Friday or Saturday is likely to catch me on a work day. Guessing that event on Friday are likely to be evening UK time (middle of the night my time) that leaves Saturday.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:37 am

My usual days off these days are Thursdays/Fridays, but most days I'm home from work around Noon-ish (CDT/UTC-5)
Last edited by RobJN on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:27 am
Is there a particular day(s) of the week that works well for a Discord chat?
I live in London (GMT/BST).

I am sometimes around on weekday evenings.

Thursday is more awkward than other weekdays.

And I sometimes go out on Friday evening (as it is my most flexible evening). But if we were going for once a month, it would be easier to give up one Friday and still do other stuff on the other three Fridays.

Saturday evening (UK time) is a problem for me, as I'm in AuldDragon's live-streamed Spelljammer game. And I often hang out with the other players after the game to talk about stuff. Again, if it was just one Saturday a month, I might be able to drop in after AuldDragon's game ends...if he doesn't need to do D&D admin with me.

Sunday is my easiest day (which is why I did something on the Sunday) but I'm aware that people often need to go to bed early (in their time zone) to get up early on Monday.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 am

With my current day job, it's more a case of "winter vs. summer" :?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:02 am

Ashtagon wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 am
With my current day job, it's more a case of "winter vs. summer" :?
You managed to pop in once or twice for the Birthday Party for The Piazza. :)

I figure if we start off with once per month...or even once per quarter, if that is not viable...that people would find it easier to commit to that sort of online meeting and that we could build from that base.

If the Winter is going to be easier for you than the Summer, then I'd say it would be more sensible for you to host a meeting (maybe with a theme of a discussion about your maps or something else you are working on) when you know you won't have to drop out. If there were going to be 5 people instead of 6 people in the Summer, that still might be enough of a core audience to build upon. And if you were able to drop in for a bit that would be a bonus. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am

I could run a 13th Age Q&A from 1 pm to 4 on Pacific Daylight Time (-0700) next Saturday, the 25th of August. That's 9 pm to midnight BDT. I can let the 13th Age community know.

Would that work? Is it sufficient time to get the word out? Other thoughts?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
I could run a 13th Age Q&A from 1 pm to 4 on Pacific Daylight Time (-0700) next Saturday, the 25th of August. That's 9 pm to midnight BDT. I can let the 13th Age community know.

Would that work? Is it sufficient time to get the word out? Other thoughts?
Hrm.

Well I was hoping to get this set up for internal people first, and then look at inviting external people in after that...

...and you are looking to start just about when AuldDragon's game is winding up (meaning I couldn't be there at the start if it overruns - which it does sometimes)...

...but...

...I suppose I could log into the Discord server in on Saturday morning and get you a 24 hour temporary code that runs onto long after when you are due to finish. :)

If you want to do this, post a topic, and I'll edit the invite link into the topic next Saturday ahead of time.

Here is a bespoke page on Time & Date.com to show people the time of your 13th Age Q&A in their own Timezone*.

And here is a countdown to your 13th Age Q&A*.

* = Assuming you want to go with it. :)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:49 pm
Well I was hoping to get this set up for internal people first, and then look at inviting external people in after that...
I'd forgotten about that -- you mentioned it before, but I spaced it last night. That's not a problem. We'll keep it to internal folks for now.
Big Mac wrote:
...and you are looking to start just about when AuldDragon's game is winding up (meaning I couldn't be there at the start if it overruns - which it does sometimes)...
My schedule is pretty crazy, and trying to find several hours when I can sit (relatively) uninterrupted is a rare thing. It happens to be that this coming Saturday looks like it will work well in the afternoon for me. I'm sorry that it conflicts with your schedule. We could try a different host/topic for now, and see when my schedule works better on a different day of the week in the future. What do you think?
Big Mac wrote:
...I suppose I could log into the Discord server in on Saturday morning and get you a 24 hour temporary code that runs onto long after when you are due to finish. :) If you want to do this, post a topic, and I'll edit the invite link into the topic next Saturday ahead of time.
That would work. Again, if you'd like to hold off until we find a time that works better for you, I'm happy to do that. This is really more of an attempt to get something started than anything, and I hate to exclude you. I'm in no particular rush.
Big Mac wrote:
Here is a bespoke page on Time & Date.com to show people the time of your 13th Age Q&A in their own Timezone.

And here is a countdown to your 13th Age Q&A.
These are handy, thank you. I'll wait to hear your thoughts on whether we should wait until I have more availability on a non-Saturday before I post anything.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

The other option that worked for me was Friday night Pacific Time. However, that's 11 pm Friday night to 2 am Saturday morning on the U.S. East Coast, and 7 am to 10 am Saturday morning in the U.K. I could create a quick poll to see if there's a preference.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:32 pm
Big Mac wrote:
I'd forgotten about that -- you mentioned it before, but I spaced it last night. That's not a problem. We'll keep it to internal folks for now.
Well, we are going to have to open it up to more people at some point (or open some of it up anyway).
Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
My schedule is pretty crazy, and trying to find several hours when I can sit (relatively) uninterrupted is a rare thing. It happens to be that this coming Saturday looks like it will work well in the afternoon for me. I'm sorry that it conflicts with your schedule. We could try a different host/topic for now, and see when my schedule works better on a different day of the week in the future. What do you think?
Life happens sadly. ;(

If we are going to do some "beta chats" to see which time works best, I think it's important to explore Saturday. I know that Coronoides said that Saturday was a good day for him.

I can probably still pop in later. I just won't be there at the very beginning. :)
Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
...I suppose I could log into the Discord server in on Saturday morning and get you a 24 hour temporary code that runs onto long after when you are due to finish. :) If you want to do this, post a topic, and I'll edit the invite link into the topic next Saturday ahead of time.
That would work. Again, if you'd like to hold off until we find a time that works better for you, I'm happy to do that. This is really more of an attempt to get something started than anything, and I hate to exclude you. I'm in no particular rush.
No. Go for it.

At the bare minimum you can have a conversation with two people. And there is always what Icarus said to consider.
Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Here is a bespoke page on Time & Date.com to show people the time of your 13th Age Q&A in their own Timezone.

And here is a countdown to your 13th Age Q&A.
These are handy, thank you. I'll wait to hear your thoughts on whether we should wait until I have more availability on a non-Saturday before I post anything.
This weekend is actually a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK. I'm half tempted to just say we go from Saturday to Monday and that people can drop in and out when they are available. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm
The other option that worked for me was Friday night Pacific Time. However, that's 11 pm Friday night to 2 am Saturday morning on the U.S. East Coast, and 7 am to 10 am Saturday morning in the U.K. I could create a quick poll to see if there's a preference.
Try that another time.

Do it...and get a feel for what works best, rather than just go with what people vote for.

I kind of get the feeling that when things are established there would be three "handover points" Europe/North & South America, North & South America/Australia and Australia/Europe, as well as three times that are mostly good for the people within that time zone (and anyone who wakes up in the middle of the night).

If we actually try some things, we can find out if enough people turn up at various times. (And if two people are having fun, and other people reply later, that is "enough".)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:46 am

Sounds good. I created a thread for this Saturday's 13th Age Q&A.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”