Forum Request Thread

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Forum Request Thread

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:38 pm

You did a lot better than I did.

I'm going to edit the quote of your post, to add in the topic names (so that if I do a search for other topics, I don't duplicate your work). I'm also going to sort them into chronological order (for my own benefit).

Topics about Barsoom:
  1. Barsoom - First published D&D setting
  2. [Barsoom] John Carter of Mars RPG?
  3. [Barsoom] OD&D Based John Carter the RPG
  4. [Barsoom] Encylopedia Barsoomia
  5. [Barsoom] Sean K. Reynolds 3E Barsoom Files
  6. [Barsoom] Dungeon #101: Iron Lords of Jupiter & Barsoom
  7. [Barsoom] HG Wells Mars and Barsoom
  8. [d20 System][Barsoom] John Carter: Warlord of Mars
  9. [d20 System][Barsoom] Anyone play with Sundered Reaches?
  10. [Barsoom] [Tarzan] Does Tarzan add anything to the setting?
  11. [Barsoom] Sky Tyrants of Mars
  12. [Mars] [Barsoom] The adventures of Lt. Gullivar Jones
  13. [Barsoom] play test review of new licenced John Carter game
  14. [Barsoom] The Secret of Exum
  15. Clean "forum sized" Barsoom logo needed
Topics that might be about 13th Age in other campaign setting/rules forums:
  1. Dark Sun: Barsoom Influences?
  2. Other Worlds: Pellucidar: [Pellucidar] How does Pellucidar relate to Barsoom?
  3. Other Worlds: Pellucidar: [Pellucidar] Lost Worlds at Swords & Stitchery Blog
  4. The Wishing Well: [Barsoom] Modiphius to produce John Carter RPG!
  5. The Wishing Well: [Barsoom][Adamant] Savage Worlds: Mars on Sale
  6. The Wishing Well: [Modiphius] [Barsoom] John Carter of Mars RPG
  7. Other Worlds: Tarzan: [Tarzan] How big is Tarzan's Universe?
  8. The Wishing Well: [Kickstarter] Cavaliers of Mars
  9. The Wishing Well: [Barsoom] New game nearly out / mailing list link
Yaztromo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:32 pm
I may have missed a few, but in general I think we have the numbers (WRT meaningful contributors, I think we have enough just in this single thread viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7414 without having to check around too much).
If I'm going to create a forum I would need to have a hunt around to try to find any other topics.

We only need five different people contributing (saying more than "that's cool" or "I agree") so that isn't too hard. It's mostly just a problem of somebody needing to count, as the forum software has never automated that.
Yaztromo wrote:
My worry is that the posts are spread across a very long timeline and many different rulesets, setting variants, adaptations and publishers.
Well that's the problem I had with World of Warcraft, Chainmail and Ghostwalk.

You do run the risk of that some folks will have either forgotten what they started a topic for...or that they might have stopped writing here. But I think that is countered by the chance of people bumping the old topics and reviving them.

Different variants of Barsoom might be a problem, but then again, we have settings like Forgotten Realms, that are supported by 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5e, 4e and 5e. Freeport also has support for several editions. And Middle-earth has radically different RPG systems. Maybe a sticky or two could clarify things.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:46 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:38 pm
Yaztromo wrote:
WRT meaningful contributors, I think we have enough just in this single thread viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7414 without having to check around too much).
We only need five different people contributing (saying more than "that's cool" or "I agree") so that isn't too hard. It's mostly just a problem of somebody needing to count, as the forum software has never automated that.
In that above mentioned thread only, we have what I believe are meaningful contributions from:
1) Angel Tarragon
2) cromsriddle
3) dulsi
4) BlackBat242
5) Jorkens
6) Ashtagon
7) Big Mac
8) rabindranath72
9) night_druid
10) Havard
11) Boneguard
12) Yaztromo
13) Falconer
14) Sturm
15) Dread Delgath
16) Raymond
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:37 pm

The 13th Age forum at The Piazza has now been created and all the RPG discussions have been moved there.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 am
I believe we have sufficient threads (mostly in the Other Worlds section, spread across a long timeline) and "meaningful" participants to the discussions to have a Barsoom section.
What do you think?
Looks like there are enough topics.

I put out a call for a logo.
Yaztromo wrote:
The issue with Barsoom is that it is spread across so many different rulesets, so I would like to review with you first if it is worth it making a dedicated section of The Piazza...
Good call.

The entire reason for the rules that Ashtagon set out was to avoid having a ton of forums that didn't expand.

The John Carpenter of Mars RPG is coming out soon. There might be more for people to talk about, when that is out.

But the main thing is do we have someone who actually wants to run games in Barsoom?
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:05 pm

I am actually playing in a Barsoom campaign, but I don't think I'm using the same ruleset that most other people does or will do.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:45 am

I'd support a Barsoom forum - I realize that I've fallen down a bit on support for The Horde, ;) , but I've already done some on the Barsoom front and want more!

And it's not about rules - The Piazza is about settings first and foremost!

So the more rule-sets the better, as long as the posts & threads cover the setting as well.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:05 pm
I am actually playing in a Barsoom campaign, but I don't think I'm using the same ruleset that most other people does or will do.
That's the situation I'm in with Spelljammer. I want to use 3rd Edition rules, but most (not all) Spelljammer fans want to use 2nd Edition.

So long as you want to discuss the campaign setting and there is a chance that any topics you make might be useful to some other fans, I don't really see that as a reason to hold back.

If you are using a super-niche set of rules, it is possible that you might get less useful feedback from other people. But if there is another Barsoom fan who is willing to talk to you about non-rules stuff, you might still be able to have some enjoyable conversations. :)
BlackBat242 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:45 am
I'd support a Barsoom forum - I realize that I've fallen down a bit on support for The Horde, ;) , but I've already done some on the Barsoom front and want more!
Thanks Black Bat 242. If there are two of you talking, that's going to provide some forward momentum.

A new topic or two would be good for The Horde. I just checked out it's stats on the top of the Forgotten Realms forum and it has 18 topics and 173 posts. It would be cool if it (and Arcane Age) could get to 20 topics/200 posts and "level up" at some point.
BlackBat242 wrote:
And it's not about rules - The Piazza is about settings first and foremost!
Well said. That's very true.

But The Piazza is about rules second and fivemost! :P
BlackBat242 wrote:
So the more rule-sets the better, as long as the posts & threads cover the setting as well.
I'd actually like to know how many rules systems there are for Barsoom. Looks like there isn't a topic for it. I'd better start one: [Barsoom] How many John Carpenter of Mars RPGs are there?
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 am

Yaztromo wrote:
I believe we have sufficient threads (mostly in the Other Worlds section, spread across a long timeline) and "meaningful" participants to the discussions to have a Barsoom section.
What do you think?
The John Carter of Mars forum at The Piazza has now been created and all the RPG discussions have been moved there.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:13 am

Giant Space Hamster wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 am
Yaztromo wrote:
What do you think?
The John Carter of Mars forum at The Piazza has now been created and all the RPG discussions have been moved there.
Why on Earth (or any other planet) would you call it John Carter instead of Barsoom? That's as if the name of Dungeons and Dragons was "The Adventures of Mordenkainen and Elminster".

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:58 am

I kind of have to agree with Willpell. I'm not even sure if Barsoom is appropriate for the name of the forum though, as Tarzan and Pellucidar have connections to the Red Planet.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:08 am

You could call it the Burroughsverse....

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:29 am

Well, virtually all of the books have "Mars" in the title, not "Barsoom" - the recent movie was titled simply "John Carter" -and while JC was the main character in many of the books he had only bit parts in a few (if he appeared at all).

So maybe it should be titled "Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars of John Carter, AKA Barsoom".

But that's a bit unwieldy... ;)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:29 am
Well, virtually all of the books have "Mars" in the title, not "Barsoom" - the recent movie was titled simply "John Carter" -and while JC was the main character in many of the books he had only bit parts in a few (if he appeared at all).
I wouldn't use the John Carter movie as a touchstone; it was a tremendous flop and most people don't even remember it existed.
So maybe it should be titled "Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars of John Carter, AKA Barsoom".
I would go "Barsoom, Tarzan, and Pellucidar" with a subtitle mentioning "The worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs, including John Carter of Mars."

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:29 pm

"The Forum of Mars"...?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 pm

willpell wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:13 am
Why on Earth (or any other planet) would you call it John Carter instead of Barsoom?
Because there is a John Carter of Mars roleplaying game and I have yet to see anyone post evidence of any roleplaying game called Barsoom in my [Barsoom] How many John Carter of Mars RPGs are there?.
willpell wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:08 am
You could call it the Burroughsverse....
Nope. Not happening.

It's not going to be renamed Martian McMartianface either.
willpell wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 pm
I would go "Barsoom, Tarzan, and Pellucidar" with a subtitle mentioning "The worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs, including John Carter of Mars."
There are not enough fans of Tarzan or Pellucidar, but if you go out, find fans, bring them here and establish a viable "business case" for either setting we can look at the pros and cons of moving those topics into the John Carter of Mars forum...instead of giving each setting it's own forum...at that time. (I think the number of crossover gaming products would have an influence on the decision.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:29 am

But that's a bit unwieldy... ;)
It is too long. :)

And there isn't any other forum at The Piazza that has the name of the author in the forum title. So it doesn't fit in with the house style.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”