I'm Back; But It Appears the Board is Not

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

I'm Back; But It Appears the Board is Not

Post by julius_cleaver » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:05 pm

So perhaps Ashtagon or someone can provide me with update to the "What the Hell Happened to the Board!!"

No Piazza picture or funky skins...obviously the board switched service providers. But it looks like all the content is intact. So what's the skinny?
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Robin
White Dragon

Re: I'm Back; But It Appears the Board is Not

Post by Robin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:38 am

Glad your back. missed you
The board updated, but we have (still) no tables and lost the wood look
You'll get used to it.
Many new active writers/creators, and such since you left.
Have fun exploring ;P
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 am

Robin, do you mean all the tables and things associated with posts; and there were a lot with the Threshold Sub-Forum; are not, or have not been included or updated to go with the thread they were originally in?

Is it possible to have pictures taken of them and just attach them that way for the time being?

For Threshold, I guess this could mean the tables could be set up in Google Drive, and then posted here as a jpeg or gif.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:45 am

Welcome back Julius Cleaver!

Questions about the forum go in The Kippin' Griffin, so I''ve moved your topic out of the Mystara forum.
julius_cleaver wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:05 pm
So perhaps Ashtagon or someone can provide me with update to the "What the Hell Happened to the Board!!"
The Piazza got too big for Ashtagon's server and she got told that they would disable it without notice if she didn't "make it smaller immediately".

She deleted the search index to buy time and then found a new server. I am looking after the new server, as Ashtagon doesn't have so much free time to do admin stuff these days (but she is still here and does still have admin rights).

Chimpman helped me move The Piazza to the new server. We had several goes at importing it, as it was, but were forced to upgrade it to the new version of phpBB software. (This was something that we were intending to do later after lots of research and Chimpman worked really really really hard for several days to rescue The Piazza.)
julius_cleaver wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:05 pm
No Piazza picture or funky skins...obviously the board switched service providers. But it looks like all the content is intact. So what's the skinny?
The new version of phpBB was built from the ground up and doesn't support the clever coding that Ashtagon used to get the table tags to work. I've spoken to phpBB support, but it's something that "phpBB is not supposed to do". We would have to get some custom forum code written in php to bring back the table tag another way. (I suspect I might have to take a php course to improve my php-fu and then work with Ashtagon to reverse-engineering her amazing code, and then support the table tag code module myself...bearing in mind that it might have to be rewritten any time phpBB overhauls it's software.)

The new version of phpBB also has a totally differet way of supporting styles and Softwood has not been rewritten for it.

(Both Ashtagon's table code and Softwood were things that we were going to do lots of research about, so that we could set them up on the new phpBB software, before we upgraded. It unfortunately came down to giving them up, at least for the time being, to get the forum back.)

The logo was actually embedded into the Softwood style and we haven't realy decided on a new style yet. (The default style looks almost identical to the old default style, but there are actually some subtle differences in where things are.

(I've rebuilt the search index recently, so the search system should be back to normal.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 pm

julius_cleaver wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 am
Robin, do you mean all the tables and things associated with posts; and there were a lot with the Threshold Sub-Forum; are not, or have not been included or updated to go with the thread they were originally in?

Is it possible to have pictures taken of them and just attach them that way for the time being?

For Threshold, I guess this could mean the tables could be set up in Google Drive, and then posted here as a jpeg or gif.

All the table from the former Piazza are now jumbled. the programming simlply remove all the in-between barriers.
Pictures can be placed, and even become links (i do this regularly in my 1 mile hex post)

So indeed tables could be placed as an image, yet the existingf tables are still a jumbled mass

And the rest...as our Wonderful Giant Space Hamster explained, is difficult.
Giant Space Hamster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:45 am

The new version of phpBB was built from the ground up and doesn't support the clever coding that Ashtagon used to get the table tags to work. I've spoken to phpBB support, but it's something that "phpBB is not supposed to do". We would have to get some custom forum code written in php to bring back the table tag another way. (I suspect I might have to take a php course to improve my php-fu and then work with Ashtagon to reverse-engineering her amazing code, and then support the table tag code module myself...bearing in mind that it might have to be rewritten any time phpBB overhauls it's software.)

The new version of phpBB also has a totally differet way of supporting styles and Softwood has not been rewritten for it.

(Both Ashtagon's table code and Softwood were things that we were going to do lots of research about, so that we could set them up on the new phpBB software, before we upgraded. It unfortunately came down to giving them up, at least for the time being, to get the forum back.)

The logo was actually embedded into the Softwood style and we haven't realy decided on a new style yet. (The default style looks almost identical to the old default style, but there are actually some subtle differences in where things are.

(I've rebuilt the search index recently, so the search system should be back to normal.)
You have done already Wonderful work Hamster. thanx :mrgreen:
And I truly hope you (all of you) succeed in bringing the table system back. The softwood was great, yet not something I really miss.
The tables I (and many others) do however.
So great work, thusfar. ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Robin wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 pm

You have done already Wonderful work Hamster. thanx :mrgreen:
And I truly hope you (all of you) succeed in bringing the table system back. The softwood was great, yet not something I really miss.
The tables I (and many others) do however.
So great work, thusfar. ;)
I think my biggest fear (with fixing the table tag via a bespoke bit of php code is that the do-dad that parses the posts might not actually fix the posts that already exist.

I've done many many invisible edits (where I will do something like add a full stop and then take it straight out) to get previous problem posts to reparse.

Chimpman is pretty good at using the back-end stuff to search for things in the database. I might end up working with him to make a list of posts that need a nonsense edit to get a the forum to recheck posts that already have table tags in.

I'll know when I know.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:28 pm

julius_cleaver wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 am
This sounds like a great workaround for figuring out how to do layout for things like Threshold, but bear in mind that if a bunch of text is converted into a picture, it won't get parsed by the search engine system.

I've disabled some of my own tables (by removing the table tags). They don't look as pretty as they used to ;( but you can read everything there.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Well you guys have done an amazing job!

Glad to see the content all here.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:19 pm

I'll know when I know.
We know when you (and the others) succeed ;P
And then we'll cheer indeed. ;)
Succes

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:39 am

I suspect I might have to take a php course to improve my php-fu and then work with Ashtagon to reverse-engineering her amazing code, and then support the table tag code module myself...bearing in mind that it might have to be rewritten any time phpBB overhauls it's software.
Such is the paradox of relying on any sort of external source. If I had it to go back and do over again, I would never have used any service such as Yahoo Groups or Google Drive, instead learning the programming mojo necessary to create my own software tools, and only then developing hobbies that would make me want access to those tools.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:51 am

willpell wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:39 am
I suspect I might have to take a php course to improve my php-fu and then work with Ashtagon to reverse-engineering her amazing code, and then support the table tag code module myself...bearing in mind that it might have to be rewritten any time phpBB overhauls it's software.
Such is the paradox of relying on any sort of external source. If I had it to go back and do over again, I would never have used any service such as Yahoo Groups or Google Drive, instead learning the programming mojo necessary to create my own software tools, and only then developing hobbies that would make me want access to those tools.
Good luck writing (and supporting) your own forum software.

phpBB is the largest Open Source forum software in the world. There are a ton of people donating time to support it.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:24 pm

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:51 am
willpell wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:39 am
Good luck writing (and supporting) your own forum software.

phpBB is the largest Open Source forum software in the world. There are a ton of people donating time to support it.
Well, perhaps (probably {almost certainly}) I could never have done better. But it would be nice if I had at least ever gained the education necessary to *try*.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”