You choose The Piazza's next forum II!

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.

Which forum should The Piazza set up next?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:41 am

Call of Cthulhu Campaign Setting
22%
Chainmail Campaign Setting
6%
Council of Wyrms Campaign Setting
9%
Ghostwalk Campaign Setting
11%
Jakandor Campaign Setting
2%
Lankhmar Campaign Setting
26%
Pathfinder Campaign Setting
15%
Rokugan Campaign Setting
4%
Sovereign Stone Campaign Setting
6%

Total votes: 54

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: You choose The Piazza's next forum II!

Post by Big Mac »

Right! I'm off to beg my friends to pile on! :-P

You may want to do the same.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

And the winner is...

...Lankhmar!

Thanks to everyone who voted. That was more fun than last time. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

When this gets done again, I submit that the two Worlds of Darkness be included as options...not because they have anything to do with D&D, but they're no further off than Call of Cthulhu is.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

willpell wrote:When this gets done again, I submit that the two Worlds of Darkness be included as options...not because they have anything to do with D&D, but they're no further off than Call of Cthulhu is.
I think it is a great idea. But we need to do some ground work first. If we can get enough threads started on the World of Darkness setting, I think we could easily see a forum for it being started. But we should not wait untill the next poll. With the sufficient number of threads about a setting we don't even need the poll to have a forum created as long as someone makes a request for it. So lets start talking about the World of Darkness and see if there are more people here who are interested in that topic? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

willpell wrote:When this gets done again, I submit that the two Worlds of Darkness be included as options...not because they have anything to do with D&D, but they're no further off than Call of Cthulhu is.
Great suggestion Willpell, but I have to say the same sort of thing as Havard.

The Piazza does not add forums on a "if we build them, they will come" basis, it adds them on a "if they come we will build it" basis.

It's a simple three step process:
1) You need to find at least 5 fans of the World of Darkness campaign settings (including yourself and other fans that might already be here). I'm not sure of the names of the two World of Darkness campaign settings, but the fans need to start posting topics with forum tags for the two worlds,
2) The fans need to post at least 10 meaningful topics about one of the Worlds of Darkness campaign settings (or both of them) and
3) One of the fans needs to count the topics, check that there are five people who have posted ten meaningful topics and then submit a formal application for a forum to the Forum Request Topic.

If you like those settings yourself, and are willing to post starter topics for them both, than would mean that you would only need to track down another four fans and get them to help you post another 9 topics (for each setting).

(The other way to go would be to focus on the Worlds of Darkness RPG system, rather than the setting and go for 10 topics in The Crunchy Bits instead of 10 topics per setting in Campaign Worlds. Not having played the game, I'm not sure where you would get the most feedback.)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

Big Mac wrote:The Piazza does not add forums on a "if we build them, they will come" basis, it adds them on a "if they come we will build it" basis.
resists temptation to begin ranting about the wrongheadedness of this approach
1) You need to find at least 5 fans of the World of Darkness campaign settings (including yourself and other fans that might already be here). I'm not sure of the names of the two World of Darkness campaign settings, but the fans need to start posting topics with forum tags for the two worlds
The two worlds have a staggering number of gamelines between them. Not counting a few oddments, there are:
* Vampire: the Masquerade and Vampire: the Requiem
* Werewolf: the Apocalypse and Werewolf: the Forsaken
* Mage: the Ascension and Mage: the Awakening
* Changeling: the Dreaming and Changeling: the Lost
* Mummy: the Resurrection (actually the third, completely distinct, attempt at mummies in OWOD) and Mummy: the Curse
* Wraith: the Oblivion and Geist: the Sin-Eaters
* Demon: the Fallen and Demon: the Descent
* Hunter: the Reckoning and Hunter: the Vigil
* Promethean: the Created (NWOD only)
* Beast: the Primordial (NWOD only)
* Kindred of the East (OWOD only)

And, if you're willing to count fan-created companion works, there are several more of those, the best of which are probably Genius: the Transgression and Leviathan: the Tempest. But in all cases, rather than each of these having its own tag, they should probably all just have a World of Darkness tag, possibly signified as Old or New (in all the double-lists above, the New version comes second).
(The other way to go would be to focus on the Worlds of Darkness RPG system, rather than the setting and go for 10 topics in The Crunchy Bits instead of 10 topics per setting in Campaign Worlds. Not having played the game, I'm not sure where you would get the most feedback.)
Uh, no, White Wolf's crunch is almost deliberately terrible, it's definitely the fluff that interest me.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

willpell wrote:But in all cases, rather than each of these having its own tag, they should probably all just have a World of Darkness tag, possibly signified as Old or New (in all the double-lists above, the New version comes second).
I agree with this.

We already have four topics on the World of Darkness at this point so it looks promising. The New and Old World of Darkness can be split into subforums at a later date and individual game lines could also theoretically get their own subforums depending on how popular these topics prove to be.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

Havard wrote:
willpell wrote:But in all cases, rather than each of these having its own tag, they should probably all just have a World of Darkness tag, possibly signified as Old or New (in all the double-lists above, the New version comes second).
I agree with this.

We already have four topics on the World of Darkness at this point so it looks promising. The New and Old World of Darkness can be split into subforums at a later date and individual game lines could also theoretically get their own subforums depending on how popular these topics prove to be.

-Havard
The main problem with splitting the WOD forum down into subsets is that, while you can divide between Old and New in order to keep the lore consistent, there's also a lot of parallelism between Old Vampire and New Vampire, for instance. The Invictus and the Camarilla, or the Daeva and the Toreador, might not be exactly the same, but they certainly have enough similarities that it's possible to have a topic that's equally pertinent to both. While indexing would be useful, subforums might not.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

willpell wrote:The main problem with splitting the WOD forum down into subsets is that, while you can divide between Old and New in order to keep the lore consistent, there's also a lot of parallelism between Old Vampire and New Vampire, for instance. The Invictus and the Camarilla, or the Daeva and the Toreador, might not be exactly the same, but they certainly have enough similarities that it's possible to have a topic that's equally pertinent to both. While indexing would be useful, subforums might not.
That is a good point. However I think most of these scenarios involving more than one World of Darkness forums are too far into the future for us to worry too much about them right now. As mentioned, we already have some good World of Darkness topics started, but if you or anyone else reading this, has some friends who are World of Darkness fans that you can invite here that would help alot in getting at least one forum started.

The Piazza has grown out of D&D setting fan bases, but many of us have a fairly wide experience in gaming and can probably participate in these discussions even if we may lack the expertise that hard core fans would have. It will be interesting to see who will drop by the discussions in the weeks ahead :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster »

MODERATOR NOTE: As this vote-off is now over, this topic is going to be unstickied and returned to The Kippin' Griffon. The topic is also going to be locked, as the vote-off is over.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”