How does the IMG tag work? - Was: Dreams of Aerie

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Ambreville
World Soul

How does the IMG tag work? - Was: Dreams of Aerie

Post by Ambreville » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:38 pm

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from the Dreams of Aerie topic in the Calder forum, as this is forum business, rather than Calder discussion and I want the moderator team to be able to find this topic.

How do the codes work? I can't seem to get them to display an image from a url address. I get the error msg that the image must be 800px or less in length. I wrote [img=800]http://etc... to no avail.

Here is what I tried:
[img=800]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB58PTAXsAUAqkT.jpg[/img]
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Re: Dreams of Aerie

Post by Azure Admiral » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Test reply...
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„

AllanP
Cloud Giant

Post by AllanP » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Bruce -

I don't believe you can control the imnage size with parameters on the img tag in the BBCode used by phpBB.
To get round this in the past, I've had to create a separate re-sized image and upload that to your web spave before linking it from the img tag.

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Post by Azure Admiral » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:39 pm

AllanP wrote:Bruce -

I don't believe you can control the imnage size with parameters on the img tag in the BBCode used by phpBB.
To get round this in the past, I've had to create a separate re-sized image and upload that to your web spave before linking it from the img tag.

regards,

Yes. Just tried with the google logo (544*184 pixels, 13kb) in a post preview and looked fine.
Last edited by Azure Admiral on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:11 pm

regards,
Apparently it is possible. Not here evidently.

Check this.

I'll try some other time with another illo. Thanks!!
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:44 am

Inline images here are limited to 600 pixels width, to prevent strange things happening with page formatting when posting images — a common problem with bulletin boards.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:58 am

Good question Bruce. (That's why I've shunted it over to the "forum business forum").

I've asked about this before myself, as it was something I wanted to see addressed.

There were some legacy reasons behind the size, back when I brought it up, and I didn't finish my research (so I kind of dropped the ball on getting Ashtagon the information she needed to move forward) but Thorf has escalated this to the moderator team and it is being looked into now.

I've split this topic, so that the moderators can come over here to see what feedback we are getting from you, and other forum users.

I do want to get this addressed, but it might need to wait a bit (or get addressed in stages).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: How does the IMG tag work? - Was: Dreams of Aerie

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:58 am

AllanP wrote:I don't believe you can control the imnage size with parameters on the img tag in the BBCode used by phpBB.
I've actually managed to resize images in Piazza posts in the past, but not from phpBB. There is an HTML attribute that can resize images at the server end. But it doesn't work everywhere. If I recall correctly, it worked for images on Wordpress sites. I don't want to push that out as a "solution" as it's more of a hack than a proper way to do things.
AllanP wrote:To get round this in the past, I've had to create a separate re-sized image and upload that to your web spave before linking it from the img tag.
I've posted images on Facebook in the past and then "stolen" the thumbnails from there to post over here. I've also posted images on Flickr (which automatically makes various thumbnail images) so I could use the smaller images there.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:07 am

Ambreville wrote:

regards,
Apparently it is possible. Not here evidently.

Check this.

I'll try some other time with another illo. Thanks!!
That's BBCode.org.

In an ideal world all forum software would follow the industry standard of BB Code. Sadly they don't and phpBB and vBulletin (the two leading forum software versions) handle some aspects of BB Code differently. One thing they do differently is require that quotes are included or not included around URLs inside forum tags. That always confuses me.

I'm not sure that it is possible to modify the IMG tag to make it follow the BB Code standard, but I did once see someone make a custom BB Code tag that did a similar thing to what the example on BB Code shows. I tested that custom tag (on The Piazza) when nobody was looking and it seemed like it worked. But I removed it straight after my test, because I saw people saying negative things about the custom tag and didn't want to make a change that might cause problems (including migration problems) without discussing it with Ashtagon.

I'll take that up with the moderator team as a possible workaround.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm

For this site, the current image size restriction is set to allow images up to 800x600 pixels in size. That was set up quite a few years ago when 1024px wide was the lowest common standard then in use., Technology has certainly moved on from there (certainly, my own screen size has). What's the most common screen size in use these days?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Call me a dinosaur, but I most often hit up the forums from either my creaky 3rd gen iPad (2048x1536) or even creakier MacBook (1280x800) :oops:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 am

Ashtagon wrote:What's the most common screen size in use these days?
I've lost the plot on this, but What Is The Best Screen Size To Design For in 2017? has some stats.

They also seem to suggest that people design for mobile devices, but surely The Piazza could have a separate mobile style sheet to do that (rather than saddle everyone else with mobile settings).

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:29 am

Based on that, I'm setting the limit to 1100 pixels.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 am

Ashtagon wrote:Based on that, I'm setting the limit to 1100 pixels.
Is that the width? If so, what height are you going with?

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Sounds fine to me. Anything above 1000 is very reasonable.

For height, I'd suggest either no limit or quite a large limit. The reason is that excessive width can interfere with how threads display, while excessive height just requires scrolling.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:Based on that, I'm setting the limit to 1100 pixels.
Is that the width? If so, what height are you going with?
Up to 1100 px wide, up to 900 px high.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:53 am

Ashtagon wrote:Up to 1100 px wide, up to 900 px high.
Why set the height so low? That rules out things like infographics, comic strips, as well as making portrait orientation images of all sorts smaller than they could be.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Thorf wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:Up to 1100 px wide, up to 900 px high.
Why set the height so low? That rules out things like infographics, comic strips, as well as making portrait orientation images of all sorts smaller than they could be.
I would agree with that.

I've had problems posting things like pictures of the covers of RPG books (which are in portrait format).

I always thought that the main problem (with forums and big images) was wide images stuffing up the CSS files and making topics containing wide pictures look weird.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:31 pm

It's a compromise between comfortable screen size and bandwidth.

Larger images will use lots of bandwidth, no matter what. That's not a problem for people using broadband connections. But there are a significant number of people on limited internet connections, and it has always been my intention to keep the site accessible for such people.

As a second concern, even though on a desktop screen the image could be arbitrarily tall and not break the site layout, it still means that an arbitrarily tall image can't be seen all at once. It's easy enough for someone with a decent image editor program to reduce it in size and if need be, link to an external site with a hi-res version. It's unreasonable to expect end users to do that just so they can see the whole picture at once.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”