Impending Downtime

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.

Impending Downtime

Postby Ashtagon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:17 pm

The Piazza has outgrown its current webhost, and will shortly be moving to a new webhost. The exact date is still to be confirmed, but in the meanwhile...

Currently, searching is only spottily effective. For the time being, it is better to use google to search the archives (forum search will work only for searching or posts made since September).

The date of the down time is TBC. Watch this thread for updates. When it happens, there will be approximately 2-3 days in which the forum will be offline and inaccessible. After that, there may be another 1-2 days for the various DNS servers to update their data on the location of the new forum hosts. After that, expect full forum service as usual.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Impending Downtime

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Ashtagon wrote:The Piazza has outgrown its current webhost, and will shortly be moving to a new webhost. The exact date is still to be confirmed, but in the meanwhile...

V5 is coming. :cool:

Ashtagon wrote:Currently, searching is only spottily effective. For the time being, it is better to use google to search the archives (forum search will work only for searching or posts made since September).

I've already been using Google with "site:www.thepiazza.org.uk" to search the forum.

Ashtagon wrote:The date of the down time is TBC. Watch this thread for updates. When it happens, there will be approximately 2-3 days in which the forum will be offline and inaccessible. After that, there may be another 1-2 days for the various DNS servers to update their data on the location of the new forum hosts. After that, expect full forum service as usual.

But, is The Piazza going to have a 4DVENTURE-style countdown? :-P
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RobJN » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:41 pm

As long as it's not a year+ playtest, I'll be happy :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:52 am

Hopefully, the number of posts and ranks will be retained in v5. Will there be any feature changes, or is this purely a change in hosting solutions to accommodate growth?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:04 am

This is intended to be purely a hosting change. All features should be exactly teh same, and search service will be fully restored shortly after the move (the server will need to have the search index table rebuilt, which is apparently not a quick process).
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 am

Tim Baker wrote:Hopefully, the number of posts and ranks will be retained in v5. Will there be any feature changes, or is this purely a change in hosting solutions to accommodate growth?

The Piazza has already moved servers four times, since Ashtagon set up the V1 server on Thu May 22, 2008. We still have all the old posts. :)

As for feature changes, I expect there will be some changes at some point after the V5 move.

The Piazza was originally set up to replace the section of the Wizards of the Coast forums that used to cater for out of print D&D campaign settings. It has already expanded far beyond that, with new bespoke forums for D&D campaign settings that the Wizards COMmunity Boards/Gleemax never supported. The Piazza has also gone beyond D&D rules (and settings) with a percentage of forums that support other things.

The most amazing thing (in my eyes) is the bespoke forum built around the retroclone (Dark Dungeons) that Blacky the Blackball built right before our very eyes here. (That's all down to Blacky's hard work, BTW. He churned out an entire RPG like some sort of roleplaying design sausage machine. ;) )

Oh, and we have The Book-House on The Piazza (which also needs to be moved to V5). That sister site was added to The Piazza on the 18th of February 2012. That's not going away either. It's still a work in progress, but the aim of that project is to collect links for every useful resource available online for every D&D product ever published (plus some non-D&D products too). (Plus it has some affiliate links that allow people to buy products for the same price and get a small amount of money sent to The Piazza by Amazon and/or DriveThru RPG. That doesn't cover the running cost of The Piazza, BTW.)

Anyhoo, the long story cut short is that V4 has stuff going right back to the start of The Piazza and V5 will have those things (and hopefully more things).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:29 am

Can't wait to see V5! :D

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:50 pm

The V5 server has already been rented.

We are still working out the best time to do the move (and rebuild the search index).
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Big Mac wrote:The V5 server has already been rented.

We are still working out the best time to do the move (and rebuild the search index).

So the fact that I can't search for Whiteleaf topics is just a technical issue?
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:41 pm

willpell wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The V5 server has already been rented.

So the fact that I can't search for Whiteleaf topics is just a technical issue?

Yes. It's a technical issue that can not be resolved until after the V4-to-V5 move.

Once we are on the new server, we can run the program that will rebuild the search index. That will take a bit of time to run and can't be done before the move.

In the meantime, I suggest you use Google site-search to look for "whiteleaf" at thepiazza.org.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Kippin' Griffin