The Piazza server move starts Thur 15 Mar 2018

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

The Piazza server move starts Thur 15 Mar 2018

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Ashtagon announced that there would be impending downtime, back in September 2017.

Since that date, the admin team has been doing behind the scenes work to set up a new server for The Piazza, and make arrangements for the URL and hosting to move over there. Chimpman has just completed the last part of the preparation research. We are now ready to move from our current (V4) server to the new (V5) server.

The Piazza will be closed for a few days in order to get the move done.

The V4 server is going to be locked (for the last time) on Thursday 15th of March.
Piazza move image 2.jpg
The V4-V5 server move starts Thursday 15th March 2018
Piazza move image 2.jpg (162.06 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
If all goes well, The Piazza will open up on our V5 server early the following week.

Server move Q&A:
  • Q: If I sign up on the V4 server, will I have an account on the V5 Server?
    A: Account registrations are being locked prior to the start of the move. This means that all activation requests will be carried over to the V5 server. If you sign up fairly close to the deadline, your account may be activated, but you may find the forum locked when you try to post. But, don't worry, we are going to make sure nobody signs up after the data is being transferred. We don't want any lost accounts.
  • Q: When exactly will the forums close?
    A: We are all on different timezones, so it's hard to give an exact time for things like this, but we are working towards preparing for a backup. The forums will probably start to lock down after 20.00 GMT, but we are not making any promises there, as the priority is to get things ready for the backup.
  • Q: When exactly will the forums reopen?
    A: Just as with the closure time, it is hard to give an exact time. We are hoping for the administrators to be able to access the forums on the V5 server by Monday. But, as well as there being the question of different timezones, there is also the issue of updating the URL in Domain Name Servers. A DNS update might take up to 24 hours to push out to various forum users. And if the admins are being pointed at the V4 server, when they want to work on the V5 server, that might cause their work to take a bit longer. We hope to be back by Wednesday, but will try to open earlier than that if Chimpman's research work pays off.
  • Q: I have my password saved in a cookie. Will it still work after the move to the V5 server?
    A: We are not planning to change the URL of the forum. We are planning to take it with us. The cookie on your computer looks for the URL - not the server itself, so should work afterwards. If you have any problems, there are reset options, that can allow you to make a new password, and you can contact us for help on our social media platforms.
  • Q: What will happen if there is a problem?
    A: This is not our first server move - it's the fourth server move - and Chimpman and the other admins have spent time doing research to try to avoid any problems. But if we really get stuck, we will still have the V4 server. We can reopen on the V4 server and then do additional research to deal with any thing that does stop the V4-to-V5 move. However, we are hoping that things will go smoothly and that this is the last week that we use V4.
  • Q: Why are you moving? Why can't you stay on the current server?
    A: The V4 hosting company is a good one, but The Piazza has grown too large to fit into the space provided on the V4 server. The V5 hosting company gives us room to expand.
To contact the forum staff during the downtime, please see our social media pages: This post will be obviously be unavailable in the middle of the server move, so you might want to bookmark your preferred social media option now, just in case.

See you all on the new server!

EDIT: We are now on the V5 Server conducting an Open Test. Please see: Open Test of V5 Server: Please read this announcement for more details and to find out how you can help.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Re: The Piazza server move starts Thur 15 Mar 2018

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm

We are now on the V5 server and are doing some testing to see if everything is working.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.

Boo
Miniature Giant Space Hamster

Post by Boo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Giant Space Hamster wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm
We are now on the V5 server and are doing some testing to see if everything is working.
Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm!
"Every hamster has his day."
Official Piazza Test Account: Do not send PMs to this account.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Giant Space Hamster wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm
Test reply.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Lord Torath
Troll

Post by Lord Torath » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:43 am

Gotta' be honest, it's gonna' take some time to get used to the new layout. But I'm glad we'll have more space to expand!

Thanks for all your hard work, Admins and Mods! I really appreciate it!

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:06 am

Lord Torath wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:43 am
Gotta' be honest, it's gonna' take some time to get used to the new layout. But I'm glad we'll have more space to expand!

Thanks for all your hard work, Admins and Mods! I really appreciate it!
Thanks Lord Torath.

We have not quite finished yet. We are still only about two thirds into the process and are on the testing phase.

So far the work completed includes:
  • Data moved from V4 server to V5 server,
  • Book-House tested and migration issues fixed,
  • Piazza favicon uploaded to Book-House,
  • phpBB forum tested and prepared for update to new software,
  • phpBB forum updated to new software (this includes removing Softwood),
  • Missing forum icons reuploaded,
  • Troublesome V4 cookie replaced with new V5 cookie (to hopefully bypass login issues experienced by some users).
Despite a large amount of planning, to try to anticipate any problems and prepart for them, there were some unforseen issues with the move that turned out to need fairly imaginative solutions.

I would particuarly like to thank Chimpman, who has done much more work than we thought he would need to do and is still working very hard to iron out the remaining bugs.

Work to be carried out includes:
  • Custom BB code (stuff like the table tags) need to be repaired,
  • Fixing list of moderators so that they show up as members of "The team",
  • Fixing access to private forums (Threshold Magazine, Wildspace Magazine and the one for the forum staff),
  • Choosing one or more forum styles to replace/stand-in for Softwood.
We have also had a few moderators get locked out, by the same thing that has dropped them all off of the list of "The team". I'm slowly working through the entire team, to get their accounts reset and to confirm they are back in.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:53 am

We are now on the V5 Server conducting an Open Test. Please see: Open Test of V5 Server: Please read this announcement for more details and to find out how you can help.

EDIT: The Open Test is now completed and we are running on the V5 server.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”