Open Test of V5 Server: Please read this announcement

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Open Test of V5 Server: Please read this announcement

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:45 am

African Snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:29 pm

hi nice tosee this slowly coming back;
the following points of notice
1 the colors almost hurt my eyes...the beige/brown tints of the v4 version were much better. i hope they eventually return

2 the profile pictures seemed yesterday to be more pixelized than before.. today they seem ok, but not on all accounts...like mine...which had a sharper image

3 as others noticed, the list of moderators, is multiplied above each page, also here

4 i don't know if this has to be but while i write this i see
BBCode is ON
img is ON
flash is OFF
url is ON
Smilies are ON
i removed the []hooks otherwise i could not post this
5 great work of all of you moderators bytheway..respect :D

6 several pictures on variant page show a strange clock instead the picture...example the posts of micky amongst others

7 i could not locate the edit function , until i noticed a slight difference in the buttons.
is it possible to set the report button elsewhere? it is too easy to make a mistake when placing it between to more used buttons.
8 before there was agreat difference visually between logged in and logged out...this has dissapeared
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Won't accept file attachments (350k 'too large')
Aquaria boards

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:24 pm

The file size limit is currently 256 kb. This must be a new setting, as there are definitely older uploaded files larger than that.

I'm setting the maximum size of each file to 5 mb. There is a separate limit of 256 kb worth of attached files per private message, which I plan to leave as-is (private messaging on a forum isn't really the place for file sharing).

Note that most people do not (or should not) routinely have access to uploading files to this site in any case (old policy; could be reviewed if there is a strong case for it).

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 am

I'd like to see attachments instituted because it would help prevent the gradual loss of images from old posts.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 am

The forum logged me out somewhere in the past 24 hours, which may be normal since I may have logged in without "remember me" previously. Then the forum was "closed for maintenance" for a short time this afternoon.

AllanP
Cloud Giant

Post by AllanP » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:01 pm

As a change from people flagging perceived problems with the new board, I'd like to say that there are definite improvements. Things seem a fair bit tidier, the notifications flag seems more obvious, and I especially like the fact that the layout is responsive and easily readable on my phone.

As for the question of the Softwood style - well, I only saw that on the v4 board when I wasn't logged in; on v4 when I logged in (to see what new posts there were or to post myself), I'd see the blue (default?) style. So most of the time I didn't see the softwood style...

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:39 pm

AllanP wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:01 pm
As for the question of the Softwood style - well, I only saw that on the v4 board when I wasn't logged in; on v4 when I logged in (to see what new posts there were or to post myself), I'd see the blue (default?) style. So most of the time I didn't see the softwood style...
At the time I made the softwood style, I made a conscious decision not to force it on any existing new users. Existing members were strongly suggested to switch to the new theme (or stay with either of the two then-pre-installed themes available). Softwood was set as the default theme for new members.

Once softwood is re-created, we'll properly set everyone to that theme, while leaving this theme (the pre-installed one) availabel for anyone who really wants to switch back.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Robin wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:29 pm
hi nice tosee this slowly coming back;
I've been chomping at the bit to get back here myself.
Robin wrote:
the following points of notice
1 the colors almost hurt my eyes...the beige/brown tints of the v4 version were much better. i hope they eventually return
That's the default phpBB 3.2 forum style. It's called "prosilver". The company that made phpBB radically changed the way that forum styles worked. Although it mostly looks the same sort of shape as before, it's completely incompatible with any forum styles from the old version.

We are still (as I post this) running the Open Test, so we are not putting any other styles on, at this time. But, as soon as the Open Test ends (which is going to be as soon as the admins are confident that we definitely do not need to roll back the upgrade and repeat it) we are going to look into things like style options.

This will include an effort to recreate Softwood (which Ashtagon put together on the old software) and/or efforts to create other forum styles or to find other styles that we can use.
Robin wrote:
2 the profile pictures seemed yesterday to be more pixelized than before.. today they seem ok, but not on all accounts...like mine...which had a sharper image
I've not spotted that myself.

I've not done any work on profile pictures. I'm not sure if Chimpman has done anything there. :?
Robin wrote:
3 as others noticed, the list of moderators, is multiplied above each page, also here
We have actually had several issues connected to moderators. We were not initially sure if they were all related or all separate things.

We still have a couple of things that Chimpman and myself need to go over, but the duplicate names for moderators seems to have stabilised during one of the bug fixes we implemented.
Robin wrote:
4 i don't know if this has to be but while i write this i see
BBCode is ON
img is ON
flash is OFF
url is ON
Smilies are ON
i removed the []hooks otherwise i could not post this
Adobe Flash was already turned off before the V4-to-V5 migration, but thanks for checking these settings. :)
Robin wrote:
5 great work of all of you moderators bytheway..respect :D
Chimpman has been working really hard on this. If I ever get to meet him, I'm going to buy him dinner.
Robin wrote:
6 several pictures on variant page show a strange clock instead the picture...example the posts of micky amongst others
I've seen that.

That's from where people have hosted images externally, and the image hosting companies have later blocked the image. It's a real problem for a place like The PIazza where people are encouraged to dig into old conversations that are still relevant today.
Robin wrote:
7 i could not locate the edit function , until i noticed a slight difference in the buttons.
is it possible to set the report button elsewhere? it is too easy to make a mistake when placing it between to more used buttons.
That's part of the style sheet (prosilver). That's not something we can change straight away (for the reasons I gave above).

Different stylesheets can move things into different places. Hopefully, when we have choices for people, everyone can look for one where the buttons are in the best places for them. I've actually been on other forums, where I've switched to an unusual style, to see what it looks like, and then I've had trouble finding the menu to switch back (because it's been in a different place).

(For what it is worth, things are worse for moderators, who get extra buttons that users don't get.)
Robin wrote:
8 before there was agreat difference visually between logged in and logged out...this has dissapeared
That would be down to you having a personal style that is not the same as the default style of the board.

When we eventually get to the stage of adding on styles, it's going to be good if there are one or two choices that work for people who like things to look different ways. But the default style, for logged out users, is also going to be quite important as people are "stuck with it" until they create an account and log in.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:05 pm

ExTSR wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:04 pm
Won't accept file attachments (350k 'too large')
Aquaria boards

F
Just to warn you, Frank, the forum migration/upgrade team have not officially signed off the Open Test and handed the forum back.

So do bear in mind that, if you do upload things, that there is a chance (which is getting smaller every day) that we might have to abandon this install and go back to do it again. That could give you broken links, if you link in and mean that you have to reupload things.

I'm hoping Chimpman and myself can now start the "signing off" proceedure, for any errors that are not related to the move. Then we can possibly end the Open Test (and lock this topic) and get on with the work of post-migration improvements.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 am

Thorf wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 am
I'd like to see attachments instituted because it would help prevent the gradual loss of images from old posts.
This is not really related to testing the new server to identify bugs that might force us to restart the process. :)

It's more of a request for change. We can raise an RFC, in the private moderator forum, for this, as soon as the Open Test finishes and see if we can estimate how fast image attachements would increase the amount of server space that would get used up.

Right now, I want to focus on working with Chimpman to finishing up sorting out the issues that forced us to conduct the Open Test, instead of just opening the forum normally, like we planned to. So I want to get back to that, for now.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Moderator team missing and Piazza staff forum locked down bugs marked as RESOLVED.

The forum style issue and the broken table tag issue are not actually technical problems with the installation and upgrade process.

I'm going to go over a few things with Chimpman, to see if we are ready to declare the Open Test closed and reopen the forum for new accounts.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:02 pm

willpell wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 am
The forum logged me out somewhere in the past 24 hours, which may be normal since I may have logged in without "remember me" previously. Then the forum was "closed for maintenance" for a short time this afternoon.
I don't know about the forum logging you out, but it was me that closed the forum for maintenance, while I was doing some stuff™.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm pleased to be able to inform everyone that we are declaring the Open Test a success and will not be rolling back the forum.

We do have a couple of unresolved issues:
Giant Space Hamster wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am
  • Forum styles missing: We have had to drop our previous forum styles, as part of the move and have not yet got to the stage where we replace (or recreate) those styles. UNRESOLVED
  • Table BB Code broken: Tables created using the "TABLE" custom BB code are not working. The tables are all still there, but they are not displaying. Tests show that the other custom BB code is working. UNRESOLVED
We are signing the test off with these issues to be resolved later.

That means we are still going to be looking into these problems. But we are going to reopen the forum to new members again and investigating these as "business as usual" problems.

Thanks to everyone who took part in the test and who gave us feedback.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”