Table code no longer available?

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Table code no longer available?

Post by Hugin » Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Hello folks.

Is there a way to create tables in this version of The Piazza? I had used them in the past and now those ones just show all the code as text.

My main use of it can be seen here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): I'm pinning your topic, until we get a solution that allows us to get the table tag working on the new forum.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Table code no longer available?

Post by Havard » Tue May 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Hugin wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 pm
Hello folks.

Is there a way to create tables in this version of The Piazza? I had used them in the past and now those ones just show all the code as text.

My main use of it can be seen here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Hugin,
this is an issue that is being discussed by the Moderator Team. Sadly the current version of the forum software does not appear to support javascript which was the basis for how the old tables worked.

So, we are working on it, but it might take a while.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 am

Thanks Harvard.

It's good to know it's being investigated, even if nothing can be done at the moment.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Hugin wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 am
It's good to know it's being investigated, even if nothing can be done at the moment.
I need to chase this up (but I've been busy).

We have a few BBCodes and I checked them all out during the Open Test thinking that they were all broken. Then I found it was just this one. I did mention it, in the Open Test topic, but I should have started a separate topic here. So thanks for doing that.

The bottom line with the table tag is that BBCode does not actually support what it does. Ashtagon originally tried out an earlier system, which was a nightmare that required people to use an Excel sheet to generate the BBCode. That was a nightmare to use and I think I am the only person who ever worked out how to create a table manually. (And I only did it once, to see how hard it was.)

So what Ashtagon did next is work out what would be useful for users and then "cheat" to make BBCode do stuff that it would not do with BBCode tags alone.

The new BBCode parser does not allow cheat mode, so what we need to do is find another way to put Ashtagon's super-special table-creating magic into something that will work with the forum tag.

I've raised a support ticket about this, and we got some advice, but we need to do more research (and maybe ask for a bit more advice).

I am a heavy user of tables myself, so I'm definitely not going to give up on this.

One thing I'm worried about is what is going to happen after we find a fix. There is a small chance that I might need to edit every single post with a table in it to add something (like a full-stop) to trick the forum software into reparsing the code.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 pm

That's fantastic, Big Mac!

I have no problems fixing my own tables, as I figured I'd have to do that anyway.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue May 29, 2018 6:00 am

Thinking out loud, [is there something we can tag / is it worth tagging] the existing posts that have tables with, so that if it turns out they do need fixing (rather than merely fixing the bbcode at a central level), they would be easier to find?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 29, 2018 7:34 am

Ashtagon wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:00 am
Thinking out loud, [is there something we can tag / is it worth tagging] the existing posts that have tables with, so that if it turns out they do need fixing (rather than merely fixing the bbcode at a central level), they would be easier to find?
I suspect we would need to get Chimpman to design an SQL search for table tags that returns a long list of post numbers. Then do something with them to hack them into the working URLs and go through them one by one to fix the posts.

If we created a fake tag using something that would not appear on the forums (i.e. an "[abracadabra]" tag - but not that now, as I've just typed it) we would be able to try doing an SQL search that is not expected to return dozens or hundreds of results. :)

But first, I need to figure out where we can move your magic table generating stuff, and still get to it.

I don't know my way around the phpBB forums yet, but I actually think it would be useful for your miniature computer program to be turned into a "forum mod" that was available to other people (so that the community over there was more inclined to support it, when they upgrade).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”