The Discord server for The Piazza

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: The Discord server for The Piazza

Post by Coronoides » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:24 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:30 pm
I jumped in with a suggestion of my own (partially to see if anyone would turn up :P ) and I think that it would work better if someone did that, rather than looking for someone else to volunteer to talk about a topic they might not be an expert in.

For example, if you were going to propose a time, Tim, I'd think you might want to talk about 13th Age and Escalation...at a time that works for you?

And if Coronoides wanted to propose a time, he might want to talk to us about Council of Wyrms, when he is awake.

If people come along and want to talk about other stuff, that's fine too. It's about building a fire under the thing, at the moment.

If nobody has suggested anything in the next few weeks, I might talk to people about Spelljammer and what I would like to see in a 3rd Edition conversion. :)
I can also talk about it in my sleep but sleep-typing is tricky.

Excellent suggestion but the other thread provides and awareness of when there are most likely other people about. For example right now is great for me. My partner is at a class all morning and it’s Saturday. Unfortunately, its just past midnight in the UK where many of you are. I might be better off hosting Saturday evening when the Brits are eating breakfast. That said we all do what we can when we can. FOMO is an integral part of being part of an international community. :)
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:24 am
Big Mac wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:30 pm
I jumped in with a suggestion of my own (partially to see if anyone would turn up :P ) and I think that it would work better if someone did that, rather than looking for someone else to volunteer to talk about a topic they might not be an expert in.

For example, if you were going to propose a time, Tim, I'd think you might want to talk about 13th Age and Escalation...at a time that works for you?

And if Coronoides wanted to propose a time, he might want to talk to us about Council of Wyrms, when he is awake.

If people come along and want to talk about other stuff, that's fine too. It's about building a fire under the thing, at the moment.

If nobody has suggested anything in the next few weeks, I might talk to people about Spelljammer and what I would like to see in a 3rd Edition conversion. :)
I can also talk about it in my sleep but sleep-typing is tricky.
:lol:
Coronoides wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:24 am
Excellent suggestion but the other thread provides and awareness of when there are most likely other people about. For example right now is great for me. My partner is at a class all morning and it’s Saturday. Unfortunately, its just past midnight in the UK where many of you are. I might be better off hosting Saturday evening when the Brits are eating breakfast. That said we all do what we can when we can. FOMO is an integral part of being part of an international community. :)
I'm not so sure the UK is the place to focus on. I've not got access to the webstats for the forum, right now, but the Facebook group for The Piazza says the top country (for Piazza membership) is the USA. The UK and Canada are joint second, with about a 10th of what the USA has, followed by Italy, France, Australia and Brazil.

So, if you are looking for numbers the USA is the group to go for. And you would get Canada and Brazil, as a bonus, as they are in the same area.

The UK, Italy and France would be in another block.

I suggest you just pick a time and see who turns up. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:17 pm

So … this is just personal opinion, only …
But, solely within my own experience, scheduled meetups are definitely a cool thing, especially using Discord's voice chat.

However, I think that a prime opportunity is being missed … Discord is a *marvelous* tool for non-synchronous discussion.
Not that I think that we ought to discuss chat options instead of, or other than scheduled ones, but, I think that it ought to be emphasized that many, many users of Discord keep it on in the background on their desktop, or use the app on their phones, so that there's often people available for chat at various times.
Also, the chatlog is complete any time someone logs on, so that they can see what discussions are happening, and catch up on them.

I think that it would be a great idea to encourage members of the Discord server to visit and chat throughout the week and join conversations, in addition to lengthier, more in-depth conversations that take place on the forums. This would avoid the "scheduled only" perception that people may get from the emphasis on what times/days there should be for chatting.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:18 am

Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:17 pm
I think that a prime opportunity is being missed … Discord is a *marvelous* tool for non-synchronous discussion.
Not that I think that we ought to discuss chat options instead of, or other than scheduled ones, but, I think that it ought to be emphasized that many, many users of Discord keep it on in the background on their desktop, or use the app on their phones, so that there's often people available for chat at various times.
Also, the chatlog is complete any time someone logs on, so that they can see what discussions are happening, and catch up on them.

I think that it would be a great idea to encourage members of the Discord server to visit and chat throughout the week and join conversations, in addition to lengthier, more in-depth conversations that take place on the forums. This would avoid the "scheduled only" perception that people may get from the emphasis on what times/days there should be for chatting.
That's an excellent suggestion.

Gatherings should be the peaks for people who don't go there much and who want a conversation where they get immediate answers from one or more people.

I think that people could also arrange ad-hoc "open meetings" with another person they want to talk to, and where they don't mind other people joining in. For example, I woudln't mind having a chat with you about Chainmail, from time to time. And I wouldn't mind chatting with anyone about Spelljammer any time. (Maybe we could have a chat about the possible influences of the Sundered Empire on Greyspace. :) )
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

kinokopress
Goblin

Post by kinokopress » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:46 am

I‘d like to join too.
Author of Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets (new 13th Age classes)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:22 am

kinokopress wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:46 am
I‘d like to join too.
I've PMed you a link. (I'll have to set you up with a role after you arrive.) :)

Also, welcome to The Piazza!

You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic, say "Hi" to everyone and tell people a bit about yourself and the sort of RPG stuff you like to talk about.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:35 am

kinokopress wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:46 am
I‘d like to join too.
Welcome, kinokopress! It's great to have a fellow 13th Age fan join the community. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

johnsonny
Goblin

Post by johnsonny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:15 am

Could you add me to the discord channel? Thanks!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:59 pm

johnsonny wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:15 am
Could you add me to the discord channel? Thanks!
Welcome to The Piazza Johnsonny! You might want to go over to the Introduce yourself here topic, say "Hi" to everyone and tell them a bit about yourself and the sort of RPG stuff you like to talk about.

I've PMed you a Discord link. (I'll set you up with a role after you are on.) :)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:52 am

I had a fun time with last week's Discord chat. How do we reach out to the community for volunteers/suggestions for the next one? They take some time to organize, so we should probably lock that down for September pretty soon.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”