Internal Search does not work anymore

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Post Reply
User avatar
Sturm
Blue Dragon
Posts: 5350
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:26 pm
Gender: male
Location: Genoa, Italy
Contact:

Internal Search does not work anymore

Post by Sturm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi, I think this was discussed before but I cannot find it. The search system of the forum does not work anymore, or, more precisely, does work but shows only some results but misses a lot more, probably the older ones.
I am sure of this as I have used unique search words which I was sure were present in older posts. In fact, a google search returns these results but an internal search does not. This problem can be circumvented by using a google search, but I think it is pretty serious because new users will not know of this and so they will be unable to find older posts, as the internal search apparently works, but in truth does not.
See this example, by searching zenopus I found these results in the internal search: search.php?keywords=zenopus
while there are much more in the Google search: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1339& ... Culj7MwzMM but the Google search is very imprecise and full of "noise" so not a good substitute..

ADMINISTRATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): This issue requires the forum to be taken offline. We need to delete and rebuild the search index. This is currently being discussed privately, amoung the forum admin team, so that we can get the process worked out and minimise the amount of downtime.

There will be an annoucement, when we have worked out the process and are ready to disable the forums.

Until that is done, you can use Google Advanced Search to do a search of www.thepiazza.org.uk.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3388
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: Internal Search does not work anymore

Post by willpell » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm

The latest forum upgrade broke all the tags or whatever. Any post predating that doesn't appear. That's why I've been going out of my way to "bump" several of my old Whiteleaf posts, even though this forum clearly doesn't care. Just in case it ever matters, I'd like to be able to find my list of Dwarf Clans or my homebrew Genasi or whatever.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 25113
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Internal Search does not work anymore

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Sturm wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:04 pm
Hi, I think this was discussed before but I cannot find it. The search system of the forum does not work anymore, or, more precisely, does work but shows only some results but misses a lot more, probably the older ones.
OK, so the situation was this:
  • We had problems on the previous server that forced us to dump the search index,
  • We have moved to the new server,
  • We still need to rebuild the search index.
We are still looking into the process of rebuilding the search index. It's going to be a pretty big file and it takes quite some time to rebuild, so we don't want to do it wrong and have to delete it and rebuild it all over again.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: Internal Search does not work anymore

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 pm
Sturm wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:04 pm
Hi, I think this was discussed before but I cannot find it. The search system of the forum does not work anymore, or, more precisely, does work but shows only some results but misses a lot more, probably the older ones.
OK, so the situation was this:
  • We had problems on the previous server that forced us to dump the search index,
  • We have moved to the new server,
  • We still need to rebuild the search index.
We are still looking into the process of rebuilding the search index. It's going to be a pretty big file and it takes quite some time to rebuild, so we don't want to do it wrong and have to delete it and rebuild it all over again.
I've faced similar issues since the forum was upgraded.
Thank you for working on this Team Piazza.

User avatar
Sturm
Blue Dragon
Posts: 5350
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:26 pm
Gender: male
Location: Genoa, Italy
Contact:

Re: Internal Search does not work anymore

Post by Sturm » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am

Ok, thanks, I was not sure if this was still a work in progress or not. As above, Thank you for working on this.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 25113
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Internal Search does not work anymore

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Sturm wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am
Ok, thanks, I was not sure if this was still a work in progress or not. As above, Thank you for working on this.
There is this to solve, as well as the [ table ] tag to reboot.

And we also need to get Softwood rebuilt...or replaced with another style.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 25113
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Internal Search does not work anymore

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm

ADMINISTRATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): This issue requires the forum to be taken offline. We need to delete and rebuild the search index. This is currently being discussed privately, amoung the forum admin team, so that we can get the process worked out and minimise the amount of downtime.

There will be an annoucement, when we have worked out the process and are ready to disable the forums.

Until that is done, you can use Google Advanced Search to do a search of www.thepiazza.org.uk.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 8980
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Contact:

Re: Internal Search does not work anymore

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:49 pm

willpell wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm
The latest forum upgrade broke all the tags or whatever. Any post predating that doesn't appear. That's why I've been going out of my way to "bump" several of my old Whiteleaf posts, even though this forum clearly doesn't care. Just in case it ever matters, I'd like to be able to find my list of Dwarf Clans or my homebrew Genasi or whatever.
What I did for Sarunia was build one thread with links to others. I suggest you do the same, and said reference thread can then be linked to in your forum sig.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Post Reply

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”