Avatar Question (Split from: Forum Request Thread)

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Avatar Question (Split from: Forum Request Thread)

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:38 am

Hey, guys! I only post here from time to time, but... If we have to have avatars, can you make them bigger? On other fora, the avatar section is where many bring out their inner armchair artist. Here, it's a pixely pest! ;)

Admin Edit: Split from the Forum Request Thread

-DT
"Rise, O artist, from thy slumbers - hasten from thy couch unworthy;
Forge from gold the Moon for Northland - forge anew the Sun from silver..."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Avatar Question (Split from: Forum Request Thread)

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Le Noir Faineant wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:38 am
Hey, guys! I only post here from time to time, but... If we have to have avatars, can you make them bigger? On other fora, the avatar section is where many bring out their inner armchair artist. Here, it's a pixely pest! ;)
I don't understand your post. How does this relate to a forum? Are you talking about the forum icons? They are all 90x30 images.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm
Le Noir Faineant wrote:
I don't understand your post. How does this relate to a forum? Are you talking about the forum icons? They are all 90x30 images.
He wants the maximum size of user profile images to be larger to have more room to express his inner artist. ;)

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:28 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:07 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm
Le Noir Faineant wrote:
He wants the maximum size of user profile images to be larger to have more room to express his inner artist. ;)
Well, a 90x90 avatar picture is like one of those Adidas Popper Pants: Might have looked well in 1993, perhaps doesn't look all too well today. Now, one might make the case that the Piazza itself carries a lot of the spirit of 1993 - but even the famous Trojan Room coffee pot had a higher resolution than the glimpses you so far allow others into my sensitive and artistic soul: Without my avatar of the drunken bear cub riding on the mead barrel, my browsing experience will forever remain incomplete!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:54 pm

This has been brought up before. But it misses a key point: The purpose of the avatar isn't to be a permanent reminder of someone's artistic genius, but to be a visually distinctive reminder of who the person writing that post actually is.

As such, the key trade off is recognisability vs. bandwidth. Not everyone who browses this site does so from a broadband connection, or even a fast mobile phone connection.

And to address your other point ("if we have to have avatars..."), no, you don't have to have an avatar. If you wish, you can choose to have no avatar at all.

Also: This thread is specifically for requesting new forums on the site, nothing else.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:32 pm

B-but my bear cub... ;( Seriously, though, I see your point if it's a bandwith issue. Just saying, this is certainly a change that I personally would welcome. :) Now, bigger things exist in life that might bug me than this, so, no worries. :)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:45 pm

If your wish is to showcase your art skills, I would recommend getting a deviantart account (as they are still friendly to hot-linking), and creating threads with hot-linked images you've made.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”