Reviewing The Piazza subtitle?

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Reviewing The Piazza subtitle?

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:15 pm

The Piazza
The forum for discussing the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons
This is written at the top of the page and this was true for long time, as the subforums were about Blackmoor, Greyhawk, Mystara, Dragonlance, etc.
However, now quite a few of the subforums are not about worlds of Dungeons & Dragons anymore, but about other worlds and settings that often refer to other rulesets.
What do you think? is it time to review and discuss about the subtitle: "The forum for discussing the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons" ?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Reviewing The Piazza subtitle?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:34 pm

The PIazza was set up (back in 2008) to replace the Other Worlds section of the WotC COMmunity Boards/Gleemax.

It has expanded beyond that, since then, but it is still pretty much a Dungeons & Dragons community.

Changing it to something like "The forum for discussing the worlds and rules of Dungeons & Dragons" could work (as we have a significant amount of discussion on rules). But if you wanted to cover other stuff, it starts getting a bit vague.

We have forums for We have forums for Star Wars, Scarred Lands, Freeport, Calidar, Gamma World, Wilderlands, Talislanta, Traveller, Pelinor, Conan, Middle-earth, Midgard, Call of Cthulhu and Warhammer but they don't fit into a logical grouping.

We also have forums for d20 Modern, Pathfinder, Castles & Crusades, Dark Dungeons and 13th Age and again they don't fit into a logical grouping.

So I'm not sure it would be easy to cover that stuff. (But I do think a tweak could support rules editions.)

EDIT: Nothing is probably going to get done about this unti after the maintenance on the forum.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:16 pm

There is no hurry at all, but I was thinking about something more general, such as: "The forum for discussing roleplay gaming worlds" ("and rules" perhaps...) or something along these lines, just to make it clearer that we don't discuss only D&D (worlds and rules), but also other worlds (and rules) linked to RPGs that may not be D&D.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:14 am

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:16 pm
There is no hurry at all, but I was thinking about something more general, such as: "The forum for discussing roleplay gaming worlds" ("and rules" perhaps...) or something along these lines, just to make it clearer that we don't discuss only D&D (worlds and rules), but also other worlds (and rules) linked to RPGs that may not be D&D.
Oh, I think now is as good a time as any to talk about something like this, but with the forum about to close for maintenance, I didn't have the time to do anything about it. Let's come back to this on Monday.

Ironically we had someone else contact us a while ago, who thought that we need to stress "Dungeons & Dragons" more, so that The Piazza might come up in a search for D&D.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:21 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:14 am
Ironically we had someone else contact us a while ago, who thought that we need to stress "Dungeons & Dragons" more, so that The Piazza might come up in a search for D&D.
That's life, I suppose! :lol:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 am

Just add 'and more' to the end of it I think that will cover it.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Post by XstarkillerX » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 am
I agree with you, Angel.
Life won't wait for us, and love won't heal itself. Let's find our way. Descendents, "Without Love"

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:21 am
Big Mac wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:14 am
That's life, I suppose! :lol:
Sometimes there are multiple ways of doing things and each has it's own pros and cons. Othertimes one way has more of an advantage and no disadvantages and it's a no-brainier decision. :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 pm

XstarkillerX wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 am
I agree with you, Angel.
That might work...or something similar to it.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:45 pm

I like Angel's suggestion too. Or some variant of that.

I think some concerns are the following:
  • Having D&D in the name is good for searches and brand recognition
  • The Worlds of D&D represents our roots and our core "brand".
  • The largest core users are currently fans of various D&D worlds
  • D&D is the most popular RPG meaning it will be easier to recruit new D&D fans.
  • At the same time, we also want to make sure that discussions about other RPG related topics are all welcome.
-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:15 pm
The Piazza
The forum for discussing the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons
This is written at the top of the page and this was true for long time, as the subforums were about Blackmoor, Greyhawk, Mystara, Dragonlance, etc.
However, now quite a few of the subforums are not about worlds of Dungeons & Dragons anymore, but about other worlds and settings that often refer to other rulesets.
What do you think? is it time to review and discuss about the subtitle: "The forum for discussing the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons" ?
This did eventually get tweaked. It is now:
The forum for discussing the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons...and more

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:45 pm

WOW! You made history! :)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:25 pm

Yaztromo wrote: