Forum Ranks (and posting stats for each rank) *spoilers*

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Forum Ranks (and posting stats for each rank) *spoilers*

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Carillion wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:33 pm
That would be my guess, but hey, what do I know as I'm only a lowly troll!
Interesting theory.

Obviously n + 250 doesn't work all the way down to Kobold (which was originally 0-5, before Ashtagon added in the Peasant rank for people without posts).

Do you have any theories for the lower end of the table (the bit we already have nailed down)?

Do you see any obvious transition points?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Carillion
Troll

Post by Carillion » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 pm

Hello Big Mac

Some of the earlier ranks appear to have an arbitrary post range (or at least I can't seem to find a correlation between them).

The other main numerical pattern I've spotted is between the ranks of 'Troll' and 'Cloud Giant', where the posting range is n + 50, but the range is only increased on every other rank. So for 'Troll' and 'Hill Giant', the posting range is 100 + 50 = 150, and for the next two ranks of Stone Giant and Frost Giant, it is 150 + 50 = 200. Then it is 200 + 50 = 250 for Fire Giant and Cloud Giant. Note that for Storm Giant, it switches to n + 250 (in this case 250 + 250 =500), which is what the posting range formula is for the dragon ranks.

Looking at the above, it appears that the highest rank of each category switches to the posting range of the next category. For example, the rank of troll (the most powerful creature before giant) follows the giant rankings, whilst the storm giant rank (the most powerful giant) follows the dragon posting range. This therefore suggests that the Gold Dragon rank might not actually follow the dragon posting range at all, as the Gold Dragon is the most powerful dragon in the Basic D&D rule set. Therefore, it will most likely follow the posting range for the next highest category, so will begin at 8,250 as I stated previously, but will probably not finish at 10,250 (and instead will be a higher number).

As for the post ranking group above 'Dragon', I suspect that they will follow the Immortal rule set rankings of Initiate, Temporal, Celestial, Empyreal, Eternal and Hierarch. This however is complete conjecture on my part!

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:29 pm

Carillion wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 pm
As for the post ranking group above 'Dragon', I suspect that they will follow the Immortal rule set rankings of Initiate, Temporal, Celestial, Empyreal, Eternal and Hierarch. This however is complete conjecture on my part!
Well, we know the count number for Hierarch. It's currently 3738 and is held by Ashtagon ;)

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:21 pm

Carillion wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 pm
Hello Big Mac

Some of the earlier ranks appear to have an arbitrary post range (or at least I can't seem to find a correlation between them).

The other main numerical pattern I've spotted is between the ranks of 'Troll' and 'Cloud Giant', where the posting range is n + 50, but the range is only increased on every other rank. So for 'Troll' and 'Hill Giant', the posting range is 100 + 50 = 150, and for the next two ranks of Stone Giant and Frost Giant, it is 150 + 50 = 200. Then it is 200 + 50 = 250 for Fire Giant and Cloud Giant. Note that for Storm Giant, it switches to n + 250 (in this case 250 + 250 =500), which is what the posting range formula is for the dragon ranks.

Looking at the above, it appears that the highest rank of each category switches to the posting range of the next category. For example, the rank of troll (the most powerful creature before giant) follows the giant rankings, whilst the storm giant rank (the most powerful giant) follows the dragon posting range. This therefore suggests that the Gold Dragon rank might not actually follow the dragon posting range at all, as the Gold Dragon is the most powerful dragon in the Basic D&D rule set. Therefore, it will most likely follow the posting range for the next highest category, so will begin at 8,250 as I stated previously, but will probably not finish at 10,250 (and instead will be a higher number).

I took the known and guessed values a trip through excel.

The interval starting numbers fall on a progressively scaled curve, which reasonably confers to a moving average curve of period length about 1.6. A period length which surprisingly is quite close to the well known golden ratio of 1.61803....

So my guess is, that Ashtagon wanted a progressive curve and in the best of human traditions found the golden ratio pleasing and used that, or made up the numbers and limits as she went along and ended up, in the best of human traditions, with numbers aligning themselves reasonably to the golden ratio in average progression.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”