Forum Ranks (and posting stats for each rank) *spoilers*

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Andaire
Stone Giant

Re: Forum Ranks (and posting stats for each rank) *spoilers*

Post by Andaire » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 pm

I thought he did it because there was no one at Frost Giant, but actually there is. So there is just one Fire, one Frost, and one Stone.
Wow. And they're not just posting in The Hobbit's Harmpit, either. :shock:
Although I think they do it mostly to taunt us ;) :roll:
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Havard wrote:New rank at 1000 posts:

Havard

Um, is it me, or is the idea of sitting naked with a razor-sharp, flaming sword near your, um, "boys", not overly appealing... :shock:

:lol:
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:44 pm

Sheesh, he goes from being a troll, to having a giant "bigger than thou" complex, and now he's a flamer! I don't know how he gets away with it? :P

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:05 pm

night_druid wrote:Um, is it me, or is the idea of sitting naked with a razor-sharp, flaming sword near your, um, "boys", not overly appealing... :shock:
Maybe its symbolic? No wait, that makes it worse ;) :oops:
Hugin wrote:Sheesh, he goes from being a troll, to having a giant "bigger than thou" complex, and now he's a flamer! I don't know how he gets away with it? :P
*lol*
You will stop caring once you get enough posts to become a stoner... ;)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm feeling a bit frosty these days myself. Getting cold in here. Lucky we have Havard to warm us all up. :D

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Havard wrote:
night_druid wrote:Um, is it me, or is the idea of sitting naked with a razor-sharp, flaming sword near your, um, "boys", not overly appealing... :shock:
Maybe its symbolic? No wait, that makes it worse ;) :oops:
Isn't that called "Over-compensating?" :lol:

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:39 pm

:lol:
Is it the sword that's flaming? You'll notice that the mustache is made of flames... maybe those other flames are just more hair. :shock:

Um... as Havard said, maybe that just makes it worse.
- Selman

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Number of people at each Forum Rank as of 1 Jan 2009

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:13 pm

It has been nearly 6 months since I did this, so here is another snapshot of the number of people at each forum rank. Since the last count I did, we have got another four forum ranks on the go (all giants).

I'm including the last counts from the 26 Jul 2008 count - so that you can see what is going up and down, but bear in mind that pretty much everyone is going up in rank (so in a lot of cases the new numbers reflect the number of people coming up the ranks to replace the old people of that rank).

Number of people at each Forum Rank as of 1 Jan 2009:
Storm Giant (1500-1999) = 2 (new rank for this count)
Cloud Giant (1250-1499) = 0 (new rank for this count)
Fire Giant (1000-1249) = 0 (new rank for this count)
Frost Giant (800-999) = 2 (new rank for this count)
Stone Giant (600-799) = 3 (was 1)
Hill Giant (450-599) = 3 (was 2)
Troll (300-449) = 1 (was 3)
Ogre (200-299) = 6 (was 3)
Bugbear (125-199) = 17 (was 6) (Note: 8 Bugbears are on the 1st page and 9 on the 2nd page)
Gnoll (80-124) = 8 (was 6)
Hobgoblin (45-79) = 13 (was 8) (Note: 8 Hobgoblins are on the 2nd page and 5 on the 3rd page)
Orc (20-44) = 26 (was 13) (Note: 20 Orcs are on the 3rd page and 6 on the 4th page)
Goblin (5-19) = 76 (was 38) (Note: 19 Goblins are on the 4th page, 25 on the 5th page and 22 on the 6th page)
Kobolds (1-4) = 86 (was 64) (Note: 3 Kobolds are on the 6th page, 25 on the 7th page, 25 on the 8th page, 25 on the 9th page and 8 on the 10th page)
Peasant (0) = 77 (was 56) (Note: 17 Peasants are on the 10th page, 25 on the 11th, 25 on the 12th page and 10 on the 13th page)

Looking at the stats, all the ranks, up to the Troll rank have grown in number. Growth looks pretty healthy to me.

I think that the top two posters (Havard and myself) have thrown off the stats for the top of the rank system, so you might need to "ignore us" when working out how many "high posters" we have. Looking at it another way, we now have 10 giants (vs 3 giants on 26 Jul 2008). I think that puts things in better proportion.

EDIT: Missing rank ranges added in (12 Mar 2009).
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:15 am

I think the number of posts should be higher for every rank, but that's just me. After a year of constant, or semi constant posting, I see many of us in the highest giant rank, and few of us in the lower ranks. Not that it matters much, in the long run, but I think that looking ahead (to posters 3,000+) and they're still at "Storm Giant" rank.

Then again, I'd hate to remain a lowly "Bugbear" for much longer & I look forward to becoming an Ogre! ;)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Eric Anondson
Ogre

Post by Eric Anondson » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 am

You'd think there might be Titan added to the rankings above Storm Giant . . . or not? :|

Of maybe the tiers of Immortality . . . after all, everything posted on the Intarwebs is there fooooorevaaar!

Or so I hear ;)
I have resumed my Flanaess cartography project. Visit my deviantArt gallery to visit my collection of Geryhawk maps. http://admundfortgeographer.deviantart.com/

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:50 am

Dread Delgath wrote:I think the number of posts should be higher for every rank, but that's just me.
As far as I can see, there is no limit to the number of different ranks that can be added onto the top of the system.
Dread Delgath wrote:After a year of constant, or semi constant posting, I see many of us in the highest giant rank, and few of us in the lower ranks.
Hmm. Well, at the moment, it is only just over 3 percent of people who are giants. Most people are Kobolds (86 people), Pesants (77 people) or Goblins (76 people). I would be very glad to see the Orc population go up to 70.
Dread Delgath wrote:Not that it matters much, in the long run, but I think that looking ahead (to posters 3,000+) and they're still at "Storm Giant" rank.
I can't believe that the Storm Giant rank would go beyone 2,000.
Dread Delgath wrote:Then again, I'd hate to remain a lowly "Bugbear" for much longer & I look forward to becoming an Ogre! ;)
Personally, I'm looking forward to becoming my favorite type of giant...

...Giant Space Hamster. :P
Eric Anondson wrote:You'd think there might be Titan added to the rankings above Storm Giant . . . or not? :|
Who knows (apart from Ashtagon)? I'd guess that every monster will need to be slotted in there somewhere. Maybe we will turn into undead at some point.
Eric Anondson wrote:Of maybe the tiers of Immortality . . . after all, everything posted on the Intarwebs is there fooooorevaaar!

Or so I hear ;)
Actually, the Internet is a fairly temporary place. There are a ton of neglected D&D fansites that are dropping off of the Internet and being taken over by spammers who create fake D&D search engines to "hijack" the page rank that the genuine websites used to have (and try to use that "stolen" page rank to bump up some unrelated website - that is usually rubbish). :x
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:38 am

Well, I hope to one day attain the rank of Tryanno-Hamsterous Rex.

A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Giant Space Hamster - a worthy rank! :D

I'll throw in my two cents and guess that the next titles will probably be Immortal-level critters (Titans, etc.) or perhaps, as others have said, Immortal ranks. However, most fora give you the option of creating your own title once you reach a certain number of posts.

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:Then again, I'd hate to remain a lowly "Bugbear" for much longer & I look forward to becoming an Ogre! ;)
Exactly! Gaining new ranks is fun! If Ash made it harder to gain new ranks, it might discourage people. Ofcourse, there may be other reasons for posting than gaining ranks... :oops: :ugeek: :lol:

Going through Titans, Monster Rulers, all the ranks of Fiends/Demons and then the ranks of Immortals would keep us going for a while. Especially if Immortals are listed by level as well as rank (ie 3rd level Initiate Immortal etc.)...all the way up to 36th! 8-)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Havard wrote:
Exactly! Gaining new ranks is fun! If Ash made it harder to gain new ranks, it might discourage people. Ofcourse, there may be other reasons for posting than gaining ranks... :oops: :ugeek: :lol:

Is there any reason for posting other than watching your post count go up!? :twisted:
Going through Titans, Monster Rulers, all the ranks of Fiends/Demons and then the ranks of Immortals would keep us going for a while. Especially if Immortals are listed by level as well as rank (ie 3rd level Initiate Immortal etc.)...all the way up to 36th! 8-)

Havard
I like that idea. ;) Almost as much as I would enjoy attaining the rank of Tryanno-Hamsterous Rex! Hrmmmm, Giant Space Hamster Immortal, Level 5. :mrgreen:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:19 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Havard wrote:

Is there any reason for posting other than watching your post count go up!? :twisted:

Of course there is:- watching your post count go up faster than Havard's post count! :P :twisted: :lol:

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:46 am

Well, I doubt I will catch up to Havard's post count, unless he (Gods forbid) breaks his hands so he cannot type for several months! Even then, I don't think I could catch up with many others here. :mrgreen:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Well, I doubt I will catch up to Havard's post count, unless he (Gods forbid) breaks his hands so he cannot type for several months!
Hmm. If we ever all meet up at Gencon and someone invites Havard and me to sit together at a piano and play chopsticks, I shall be looking for a "Dr Phibes"-style hand-breaking boobytrap! :twisted:
Dread Delgath wrote:Even then, I don't think I could catch up with many others here. :mrgreen:
When I started, I said exactly the same thing myself. Then one day, I said to myself, you know I could actually get onto the first page and catch up some of these guys. :mrgreen:

(I never believed I could actually catch Havard in a million years until I noticed I was in third place. Then I said to myself: "you know, Big Mac, if you gave up your social life for a month, you could just possibly have a chance at catching this guy up!" :P :oops: )

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:54 am

Big Mac wrote:Hmm. If we ever all meet up at Gencon and someone invites Havard and me to sit together at a piano and play chopsticks, I shall be looking for a "Dr Phibes"-style hand-breaking boobytrap! :twisted:
Lol! So, our true nature has been revealed at last! :twisted:

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Number of people at each Forum Rank as of 12 Mar 2009

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 pm

It has only been just over two months since the last count, but with two new dragons and one new giant, I thought it might be fun to do another count.

I'm including the last counts from the 1 Jan 2009 count - so that you can see what is going up and down, but bear in mind that pretty much everyone is going up in rank (so in a lot of cases the new numbers reflect the number of people coming up the ranks to replace the old people of that rank).

Number of people at each Forum Rank as of 12 Mar 2009:
White Dragon (2000-?) = 2 (new rank for this count)
Storm Giant (1500-1999) = 0 (was 2)
Cloud Giant (1250-1499) = 0 (was 0)
Fire Giant (1000-1249) = 2 (was 0)
Frost Giant (800-999) = 1 (was 2)
Stone Giant (600-799) = 4 (was 3)
Hill Giant (450-599) = 2 (was 3)
Troll (300-449) = 5 (was 1)
Ogre (200-299) = 7 (was 6)
Bugbear (125-199) = 17 (was 17) (Note: 2 Bugbears are on the 1st page and 15 on the 2nd page)
Gnoll (80-124) = 8 (was 8)
Hobgoblin (45-79) = 15 (was 13) (Note: 2 Hobgoblins are on the 2nd page and 13 on the 3rd page)
Orc (20-44) = 26 (was 26) (Note: 12 Orcs are on the 3rd page and 18 on the 4th page)
Goblin (5-19) = 74 (was 76) (Note: 7 Goblins are on the 4th page, 25 on the 5th page, 25 on the 6th page and 17 on the 7th page)
Kobolds (1-4) = 98 (was 86) (Note: 8 Kobolds are on the 7th page, 25 on the 8th page, 25 on the 9th page, 25 on the 10th page and 15 on the 11th page)
Peasant (0) = 93 (was 77) (Note: 10 Peasants are on the 11th page, 25 on the 12th page, 25 on the 13th page, 25 on the 14th page and 8 on the 13th page)

Looking at the stats, things are a little bit more up and down, in the lower ranks, than last time. The Kobolds have been kicked off of page 6 and more than half way down page 7. The Peasants have been chased off of page 10 and have retreated more than half way down page 11.Hobgoblins are an endangered species on page 2, while Bugbears are an endangered species on page 1.

I still think this looks pretty healty. While we do have a lot more people, I think these stats are generally a sign of more committment in existing members than more low-posting members.

I think that the top two posters (Havard and myself) are still throwing off the stats for the top of the rank system, so you might need to "ignore us" when working out how many "high posters" we have. Looking at it another way, we now have 2 dragons and 9 giants (vs 10 giants on 1 Jan 2009). I think that puts things in better proportion.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun May 10, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:48 pm

Interesting numbers. As of this post, I have one to go before attaining "Ogre" rank. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:Interesting numbers. As of this post, I have one to go before attaining "Ogre" rank. ;)
Death to the page one Bugbears! :twisted: ;)

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:17 pm

...and another Ogre joins the ranks of the Piazza! :twisted: One more bugbear to kill!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:21 am

Dread Delgath wrote:...and another Ogre joins the ranks of the Piazza!
Ah, good, another ogre flunky. They're so much better flunkies than bugbears ;)

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:53 am

Now, how many more XP before I reach the next level, err... how many posts until I become a Troll? Image

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”