Forum Request Thread

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Forum Request Thread

Post by Ashtagon » Wed May 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Important: In order to keep things tidy, any reply to this thread that isn't a request for a new forum or sub-forum will be deleted. if you want to discuss this system I am outlining here, please start a new thread. I am very much playing this by ear, so these discussions are open to discussion.

Forum Icons: Icons are 30x90 pixels, in png format, and usually have an alpha layer for transparent sections. I do not at this time plan on having icons for any forum type except published campaign worlds. If you want to propose that a particular icon be changed, feel free to post an icon here, or a link to an image that can be used as a source image for a new icon.

Forum blurbs: Some of these, let's be honest are not of the high standard one would expect of a professional forum ("Discuss xxxx here"). If you have a serious proposal on a new blurb for a forum, name the forum and include the proposed text for that forum in this thread..

Published Campaign World Forums: It is my intention to only create forums for those campaign worlds that are or were supported directly by TSR or WotC. There are simply too many games companies to make a serious attempt to support every single one of them. That said, if you see a missing gap in those listed, please name it in this thread. Things are more likely to get rushed through if I see reason to believe that the world is being discussed here already, and more likely again if I have a suitable logo available to convert into an icon for the forum.

Sub-forums for campaign worlds: All sub-forums in campaign world sections will discuss specific regions of sub-settings of the general world, or specific concepts concerning that world. Community projects may be listed under the campaign worlds forums, if they are primarily about the setting only and not also intrinsically tied to a particular rules edition. Note that there may be multiple levels of sub-sub-forums, if they form common themes.

A sticky thread in each campaign world forum, with links to the project forums that are related to that campaign world, is, however, very appropriate.

Examples of acceptable sub-forums would be Red Steel in Mystara, or Al-Qadim in FR. If you see a need for a specific sub-forum (not just a hole waiting to be filled, but practical demand for the sub-forum), please let me know in this thread).

Discussion Forums: I think the big three (chit-chat, community business, and homebrew worlds) covers most topics. if you see a specific need for a new forum in this section, feel free to state your case in this thread.

Project Forums: if you have an idea for a community project, please let me know in this thread. Please cover the following points:

- project (ie. forum) name
- Blurb to appear in the forum description
- the campaign world it is relevant to, and sub-setting(s) if appropriate.
- Whether the project is intended to be public or private. nb. The existence of the project will never be kept private. This would be to determine if only those nominated to be involved in the project can read the forum or not.
- Which forum member9s) should have admin controls on that project forum.
- If it is intended to be a private forum, name 3 people who should initially be involved in the forum and have access.

(For all privacy issues, please bear in mind that, as forum owner, I do effectively have full access even to private forums. I do not intend to abuse this access though. Also, there may be some teething issues at first, so please test the privacy settings thoroughly before putting anything sensitive in a private forum).

----

The above is subject to change without notice. I'm trying to be fair and honest, but I am sure I have missed something out.

----

Effective immediately, the forum creation policy is as follows:

* Ten threads with meaningful content.
* At least five different individuals being initiators and/or meaingful content contributors on these threads.

Having a single person drive five threads forwards defeats the whole concept of it being a reaction to a community-driven (as opposed to individual member-driven) process. The original intent was that "five threads" be a minimum threshold below which i won't even consider it, but that even once this threshold was reached, I would consider whether the new board would be of significant benefit to the overal site. We've now reached a point where there are a large number of boards that have been made and then mostly ignored by the people who made the original drive to have them made.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Forum Request Thread

Post by Ashtagon » Thu May 29, 2008 9:22 am

Thorf's (not-so-)Secret Project approved.

viewforum.php?f=21

delabarre
Goblin

Post by delabarre » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:59 am

Al-Qadim, please?

Edit: Nvmd, found it under FR (??).

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:08 am

I would like to request a Project Forum for the GazF continuity for people to retrieve and comment on existing GazF products and contribute their own ideas for current working threads.

The main forum will contain pointers to all currently released items and production schedules, threads for current or desired projects not already housed in a particular sub-forum, and discussions of the overall GazF project.

I forsee two current sub-forums, with additional ones established later as project-bundles (i.e. a 4-7 gaz or adventure grouping) emerge.

The first sub-forum will be for The Idrisian Sphere. There will be a sticky welcome thread with links to the products and threads discussing the first five GazF products (Wendar, Denagoth, the Wildlands, Ghyr, Western Alliance). Each of these products will have its own dedicated thread, and there will be at least one general active thread in addition to threads posted by others.

The second sub-forum with be for The Realms of Norwold. This will be similar to the forum above save that it concerns the next 7 gazetteers (Littonia, Heldann, Landfall, Oceansend, Kaarjala, Leeha, Alpha).

Name: "OldDawg Presents: GazF Mystara"
Blurb: Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.
Campaign World: Mystara
Project Leader: OldDawg. Others may be added later.

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:12 am

OldDawg wrote:I would like to request a Project Forum for the GazF continuity for people to retrieve and comment on existing GazF products and contribute their own ideas for current working threads.

The main forum will contain pointers to all currently released items and production schedules, threads for current or desired projects not already housed in a particular sub-forum, and discussions of the overall GazF project.

I forsee two current sub-forums, with additional ones established later as project-bundles (i.e. a 4-7 gaz or adventure grouping) emerge.

The first sub-forum will be for The Idrisian Sphere. There will be a sticky welcome thread with links to the products and threads discussing the first five GazF products (Wendar, Denagoth, the Wildlands, Ghyr, Western Alliance). Each of these products will have its own dedicated thread, and there will be at least one general active thread in addition to threads posted by others.

The second sub-forum with be for The Realms of Norwold. This will be similar to the forum above save that it concerns the next 7 gazetteers (Littonia, Heldann, Landfall, Oceansend, Kaarjala, Leeha, Alpha).

Name: "OldDawg Presents: GazF Mystara"
Blurb: Continuing the Gazetteer and Module Tradition Beyond the Known World.
Campaign World: Mystara
Project Leader: OldDawg. Others may be added later.

-OldDawg
Approved.

A couple of general policy changes...

The forum moderators will have the power to lock threads in their forum, and an then call it to my attention if it needs to be moderated further. Setting up specific permissions, especially where sub-forums are also involved, is, considering how nice we are as a community, more trouble than it is worth at this stage. I'm at a loss to think of an action that Joe Random user could do that would warrant more than merely locking a thread, which wouldn't also warrant banning him entirely from the site (something I don't feel comfortable delegating).

Also, unless the project is getting major traffic (ie. 10+ live threads every day for a week), or teh project is demonstrably getting traffic in two areas that are unrelated, I'm not going to make sub-forums for a project. It's not too hard (I think) to split things later if and when the need arises.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 am

Oh yeah, approved.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Update:

I have added sub-forums for Norwold and Idrisian sphere GAZ F projects.

cab
Storm Giant

Post by cab » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Ashtagon wrote: Project Forums: if you have an idea for a community project, please let me know in this thread. Please cover the following points:

- project (ie. forum) name
- Blurb to appear in the forum description
- the campaign world it is relevant to, and sub-setting(s) if appropriate.
- Whether the project is intended to be public or private. nb. The existence of the project will never be kept private. This would be to determine if only those nominated to be involved in the project can read the forum or not.
- Which forum member9s) should have admin controls on that project forum.
- If it is intended to be a private forum, name 3 people who should initially be involved in the forum and have access.
If it is okay with you and old dawg, I'd like a sub forum of GAZ F Mystara for GAZ C, to be used to post bits and pieces working up to GAZ C1 "Duchy of Maganshire". This was briefly discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=166

And of course I've started compiling info and posting it to the Mystara section already.

I want it to be read by whoever wants to read it, in the hope that someone with more of an artistic bent than me might feel tempted to join on to make it pretty when I've got enough text to make that worthwhile. I think that a seperate sub-forum would help there because this doesn't quite fit in to any of the areas already there.

As for admin access, I'm not of the opinion that it'll need much application of big sticks, but if I can have access to that sub forum then that would make sense, and Old Dawg keeps an eye on the whole GAZ area of course.

Gamma Master
Orc

Post by Gamma Master » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Hello, I'm new. Thank you for making these forums for us.

Could you please give Gamma World its own forum under Campaign Worlds, or its own sub-forum under d20 Modern, at least :?:

It's an official WotC campaign setting that's sure to see a 7th Edition in the near future, which will be based off of the new d20 system.

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:44 pm

cab wrote:
If it is okay with you and old dawg, I'd like a sub forum of GAZ F Mystara for GAZ C, to be used to post bits and pieces working up to GAZ C1 "Duchy of Maganshire". This was briefly discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=166
Cab (and Ashtagon),

At the moment, I would recommend that GazC not have a sub-forum just yet. The idea of the sub-forums in the project forum is to bundle threads dealing with related larger settings; thus the Idrisian Sphere sub-forum is specifically meant for threads on Wendar, Denagoth, the Northern Wildlands, Ghyr, and the Western Alliance, and it may serve as a home for later projects relevant to those areas (like perhaps the Adri Varma Plateau or adventure modules).

What I would suggest is a thread in the root project forum with a title like "GAZ C1 Duchy of Maganshire - Working Thread" like my Ransarn and Leeha working threads in the Norwold section.

The same goes for other people's projects too. We'll start with a working thread in the root forum, and if your project world takes off with multiple products, then we can discuss bundling them in their own sub-forum.

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

cab
Storm Giant

Post by cab » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Old Dawg, thats fine, if you're happy for a 'working thread' in the main root forum there then I'm happy with that. Didn't want to start off getting it in the wrong place!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Gamma World forum approved here: viewforum.php?f=37

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Mystara 3e Conversion

Post by Gawain_VIII » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Ashtagon, I'm not sure if you had missed this post or not, so I'm re-editing it for you. It's the same project I've been working on, opened to the public. Some info has already been posted in the main Mystara forum.

PROJECT DETAILS

Project (ie. forum) name: Mystara 3e Conversion Project
Blurb: A Complete 3.5e conversion of all things Mystara
Campaign Setting: Mystara/Known World (initially) and all Mystaran sub-settings (eventually)
Public or Private?: Public (I tried the private self-project thing, it didn't work.)
Admin: Gawain_VIII

Thanks,
Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:17 pm

Mystara Database Project

I would like to request a community project forum for this project. Currently the posts are being housed in my Atlas of Mystara forum, but the projects are really quite separate; the database is an essential tool in the Atlas of Mystara Project, but it's also a project in its own right. I'm hoping to solicit as much support as possible for the database project, especially given its slumber of the past two years.
  • Name: Mystara Database Project
  • Blurb: The Mystara Database Project aims to create a searchable database of Mystaran facts and figures, which can answer queries and provide accurate information on a range of topics.
  • Campaign World: Mystara
  • Status: Public. The actual database will be hosted on my own site when it comes online, while discussions will be redirected here.
  • Project Leaders: Thorf and Brian (sulflox). I'm the content and data entry lead, while Brian is the programming and design lead.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm

There was a request made for a Wilderlands Forum over here:
http://www.lajzar.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a

If we decide to concentrate on TSR worlds on the main page, I would still like to see an Other Worlds forum where WL gets its own subforum.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Mystara 3e Conversion

Post by Ashtagon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:10 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Ashtagon, I'm not sure if you had missed this post or not, so I'm re-editing it for you. It's the same project I've been working on, opened to the public. Some info has already been posted in the main Mystara forum.

PROJECT DETAILS

Project (ie. forum) name: Mystara 3e Conversion Project
Blurb: A Complete 3.5e conversion of all things Mystara
Campaign Setting: Mystara/Known World (initially) and all Mystaran sub-settings (eventually)
Public or Private?: Public (I tried the private self-project thing, it didn't work.)
Admin: Gawain_VIII

Thanks,
Roger
Approved and forum added.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:13 pm

Thorf wrote:Mystara Database Project

I would like to request a community project forum for this project. Currently the posts are being housed in my Atlas of Mystara forum, but the projects are really quite separate; the database is an essential tool in the Atlas of Mystara Project, but it's also a project in its own right. I'm hoping to solicit as much support as possible for the database project, especially given its slumber of the past two years.
  • Name: Mystara Database Project
  • Blurb: The Mystara Database Project aims to create a searchable database of Mystaran facts and figures, which can answer queries and provide accurate information on a range of topics.
  • Campaign World: Mystara
  • Status: Public. The actual database will be hosted on my own site when it comes online, while discussions will be redirected here.
  • Project Leaders: Thorf and Brian (sulflox). I'm the content and data entry lead, while Brian is the programming and design lead.
Approved and added.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Forum Request Thread - Wilderlands

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Published Campaign World Forums: It is my intention to only create forums for those campaign worlds that are or were supported directly by TSR or WotC. There are simply too many games companies to make a serious attempt to support every single one of them. That said, if you see a missing gap in those listed, please name it in this thread. Things are more likely to get rushed through if I see reason to believe that the world is being discussed here already, and more likely again if I have a suitable logo available to convert into an icon for the forum.
FYI: JamesMishler has requested that you create a Winderlands forum in his Wilderlands Forum? thread. (He posted it in the wrong section, but did ask for a moderator to move it over to The Kippin' Griffin when he realised his mistake. I don't think he realised this thread existed.)

Havard is supporting his request and has nominated James to be a moderator in the forum. Havard says we should have an "Other Worlds" section with Winderlands and other non-TSR settings (including this one) in there.

Night Druid, Plaag and myself also supported having a forum.

Hugin posted in the thread, but I'm not sure he specifically supports the forum. He was talking about having a Non-TSR Setting section.

I think there is general support for the "Non-TSR Worlds" idea (and that some people would want you to plop Eberron into it).

AFAIK, nobody has a Winderlands logo yet. But we could put out an open call to find one if the forum has your stamp of approval.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Belathauzer
Ogre

Post by Belathauzer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:44 am

*genuflection*
Great Ashtagon - Hierarch and Patron of The Piazza, I, Belathauzer of the tiny realm of Thunder Rift petition thee.

Wouldst thou consider recognizing us with a sub-forum of Mystara? We are a small, yet active community and could contribute much to these boards. Though abandoned by TSR in infancy, our posthumous retrofitting into Mystara by many at another forum (which shall not be named), as well as the Vaults of Pandius, has breathed new life into our realm.

Aside from being a land where many adventurers have begun (or ended) their careers (perfect alternate starting point for newbies), we also fit the new 4e 'Points of Light' model quite nicely.

I submit for your consideration the following forum icon:

http://s340.photobucket.com/albums/o337 ... oncopy.png

And the forum blurb:

Thunder Rift
"Judge us by our size do you?"

I thank thee for thy audience.
*genuflection and exit*
-- Long live Mystara!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:38 am

Thunder Rift: I want to keep the main campaign worlds section for settinsg that were actually published by TSR/WotC, and i am not aware of any such material for this setting. I'd be happy to give it a forum in the community projects section though. Would that be suitable?

Wilderlands: I have created an other worlds section to cover any published campaign world not already listed. Until I see enough posts to justify it (say, at least 5 threads total (that's total, not per day)), I'd prefer not to add more forums 9although sub-forums would certainly be considered. Also, can you point me to some material that has been published for that setting?

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:22 am

Ashtagon wrote:Thunder Rift: I want to keep the main campaign worlds section for settinsg that were actually published by TSR/WotC, and i am not aware of any such material for this setting. I'd be happy to give it a forum in the community projects section though. Would that be suitable?
See the Thunder Rift page at the Vaults of Pandius.

It's a sub-setting of Mystara, introduced in the early 90s in the Entry-Level supplements. You can see the main book here. There's also a parallel Hollow World setting called the Valley of Eternal Sun, which would presumably fit in the Thunder Rift sub-forum.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:28 am

Thorf wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:Thunder Rift: I want to keep the main campaign worlds section for settinsg that were actually published by TSR/WotC, and i am not aware of any such material for this setting. I'd be happy to give it a forum in the community projects section though. Would that be suitable?
See the Thunder Rift page at the Vaults of Pandius.

It's a sub-setting of Mystara, introduced in the early 90s in the Entry-Level supplements. You can see the main book here. There's also a parallel Hollow World setting called the Valley of Eternal Sun, which would presumably fit in the Thunder Rift sub-forum.
I see plenty of community-generated content listed in that link, but no TSR/WotC content for Thunder Rift.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 am

Apologies for quoting myself at you - I should have made the link clearer.
Thorf wrote:It's a sub-setting of Mystara, introduced in the early 90s in the Entry-Level supplements. You can see the main book here. There's also a parallel Hollow World setting called the Valley of Eternal Sun, which would presumably fit in the Thunder Rift sub-forum.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:00 am

I've been holding this off for a while now, but yes I think think Thunder Rift deserves a subforum of its own. I guess a Community Project would be an acceptable alternative, but really TR is a subsetting like Blackmoor, The Hollow World or Red Steel. It even had more products published for it than some of the other subsettings :o , so I think a subforum would be most appropriate. I would happily moderate such a forum.

Here's a quick logo I made in a format that could be used:
Thorf, you seem to have access to the Romic font, maybe you can come up with something better? :)

I think Including the Hollow World valley into this section is a good idea, although I suppose that valley can also be discussed in the HW subforum.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:14 pm

IIRC, Thunder Rift was a TSR setting but rather limited in materials. It was linked to Mystara so perhaps a sub-forum there might be appropriate. Or as an alternative, maybe have an "Associated Settings" sub-forum for Mystara that would include all other settings that have ties with it. Just some thoughts to consider.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”