Forum Request Thread

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Spelljammer for D&D 4e

Post by Big Mac »

Forum Request: Community Projects

Project Name: Spelljammer for D&D 4e
Blurb: A project to create a Spelljammer conversion to 4th edition rules.
Campaign Setting: Spelljammer
Public or private: Public
Admin(s): Dragonhelm (as it is "his fault") and Big Mac (until someone who knows 4e better comes along).

(Note that there have been over 10 new threads on this in under 24 hours, so it is obviously popular.)
Last edited by Big Mac on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

Big Mac wrote:Forum Request: Community Projects

Admin(s): Dragonhelm (as it is "his fault") and Big Mac (until who knows 4e better comes along).

(Note that there have been over 10 new threads on this in under 24 hours, so it is obviously popular.)
Hey, don't blame me! I voted for Thatotherguy! (*cough* inside SJ joke *cough*). :lol:

Actually, I would make this a subforum of Spelljammer, or at least have a link from the SJ boards to this forum.

There are a LOT of threads on the topic, and it would be good for them to have a home. I'd recommend consolidating the Powers thread with the spells/rituals/powers thread as well.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

ravensmuse
Ogre

Re: Forum Request Thread

Post by ravensmuse »

If no one wants mod duties in the forum, I'll volunteer. No skin off of my nose :)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

Quick reminder: This thread is ONLY for forum requests. Nothing else.

Any discussion regarding the creation of a specific forum
beyond the request itself belongs in another thread.

Of course, any "noise" also belongs in another thread, which should almost certainly not be in the Kippin Griffin. Within the Kippin Griffin, the signal:noise ratio must be maintained at a very high level.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

Big Mac wrote:Forum Request: Community Projects

Admin(s): Dragonhelm (as it is "his fault") and Big Mac (until someone who knows 4e better comes along).

Added.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

Ashtagon wrote:Quick reminder: This thread is ONLY for forum requests. Nothing else.

Any discussion regarding the creation of a specific forum
beyond the request itself belongs in another thread.

Of course, any "noise" also belongs in another thread, which should almost certainly not be in the Kippin Griffin. Within the Kippin Griffin, the signal:noise ratio must be maintained at a very high level.
Duly noted.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 »

Talislanta? Now at 7 threads, none with more than 4 days inactivity.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

BlackBat242 wrote:Talislanta? Now at 7 threads, none with more than 4 days inactivity.
Any chance of providing me with a clean copy of the Talislanta logo suitable for shrinking down to the standard forum logo size (90x30)?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Thanks for the 4e forum. I did actually ask people (in the SJ forum) not to chatter in this thread. Next time I make a request for a forum, I will add a reminder to my request and link that reminder over to a suitable thread about the setting/game/project/whatever.
Ashtagon wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:Talislanta? Now at 7 threads, none with more than 4 days inactivity.
Any chance of providing me with a clean copy of the Talislanta logo suitable for shrinking down to the standard forum logo size (90x30)?
We have the Talislanta.com ex-webmaster onboard (Mulsiphix). I'll ask him.

EDIT: I've started a thread called: [Talislanta] Clean "forum sized" Talislanta logo needed and pinged Mulsiphix.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Big Mac wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:Any chance of providing me with a clean copy of the Talislanta logo suitable for shrinking down to the standard forum logo size (90x30)?
We have the Talislanta.com ex-webmaster onboard (Mulsiphix). I'll ask him.

EDIT: I've started a thread called: [Talislanta] Clean "forum sized" Talislanta logo needed and pinged Mulsiphix.
Mulsiphix has done a forum sized logo (I think) and also provided you with a clean version of the original logo, so that you can try to do better.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Bump!

You don't seem to have noticed the above link, Ash. Here is a quote of the post showing the logo, for your convenience:
Mulsiphix wrote:My Resized Version

I've been messing around with resizing the logo in GIMP but I just can't get it down to 90x30 and it still look good. I've gone through the various editions and 5th Edition is has the only Talislanta logo that is not just a basic colored font. I think the logo is going to need some editing before it is resized if the word is going to look cleaner. Is there anybody else here that wants to see if they can pull this off with better success?

Original Logo

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

Got a few forum requests. Not sure if this is the right place or format. If not, then I apologize up front.

I would like to request that Eberron, Ravenloft, and Planescape be top-level forums. They are all very popular D&D worlds and deserve to be more prominent. They might even generate more traffic that way.

I would also request that Oriental Adventures be a top-level forum with Kara-Tur listed as a sub-forum, linking to the existing Kara-Tur subforum.

Pathfinder...It's a setting, it's a rules set. Any chance we could have it as a top-level setting forum, then have the Pathfinder rules subforum link to it?

Basically, I find that I'm missing some of the forums in the current organization. I figure I'm not alone in this. I would like to see some loving to some of the more popular D&D settings, and see if that, in turn, will generate more traffic in this site.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

One more request...

Could I be removed as moderator for the Spelljammer 4e conversion projects forum? I was signed up without being asked. I asked to have myself removed before, without any results.

Thanks.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

Dragonhelm wrote:Got a few forum requests. Not sure if this is the right place or format. If not, then I apologize up front.

I would like to request that Eberron, Ravenloft, and Planescape be top-level forums. They are all very popular D&D worlds and deserve to be more prominent. They might even generate more traffic that way.
Sure. just tell me which forums I need to demote to make space for them :geek:

My main issue is that I want to maintain the top level so that you can see every entry in a single screen. I cheerfully admit this is more an aesthetic issue than a technical one. But I haven't yet seen a convincing argument against this ideal.
I would also request that Oriental Adventures be a top-level forum with Kara-Tur listed as a sub-forum, linking to the existing Kara-Tur subforum.
Oriental Adventures was always a bit of a nightmare section in terms of placement. It's almost more of a rules supplement (similar to Frostburn or Stormwrack) than a campaign setting. It's not currently popular enough to justify splitting it out into two (or more?) forums as yet anyway. As for Kara-Tur, is there a convincing reason why it shouldn't be under the Forgotten Realms section?
Pathfinder...It's a setting, it's a rules set. Any chance we could have it as a top-level setting forum, then have the Pathfinder rules subforum link to it?
Pathfinder is a rules set. World of Golarion is a setting. I guess its worth taking a look to see if there are enough Golarion-tagged posts to justify a setting forum. When that happens, I intend on placing Golarion in the campaign settings area, with stickied threads in each of the two forums to point to its partner.
Basically, I find that I'm missing some of the forums in the current organization. I figure I'm not alone in this. I would like to see some loving to some of the more popular D&D settings, and see if that, in turn, will generate more traffic in this site.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

Dragonhelm wrote:One more request...

Could I be removed as moderator for the Spelljammer 4e conversion projects forum? I was signed up without being asked. I asked to have myself removed before, without any results.

Thanks.
Done. Sorry for the delay.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

Ashtagon wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:One more request...

Thanks.
Done. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

Ashtagon wrote:Sure. just tell me which forums I need to demote to make space for them :geek:

My main issue is that I want to maintain the top level so that you can see every entry in a single screen. I cheerfully admit this is more an aesthetic issue than a technical one. But I haven't yet seen a convincing argument against this ideal.
With the breadth of what D&D covers, I think you're going to find that keeping things as one page is hard to manage. What happens when new settings come out?

Would we not attract more people if those forums are top-level?

It just seems like a disconnect to see Eberron, Ravenloft, and Planescape "demoted" when their peers, some of which were not as popular, have higher-level forums. If we have to scroll down a bit, then so what? I'm not saying that all worlds need to be at this level, but I'd like to see all of the peer-level worlds at the same level.
Oriental Adventures was always a bit of a nightmare section in terms of placement. It's almost more of a rules supplement (similar to Frostburn or Stormwrack) than a campaign setting. It's not currently popular enough to justify splitting it out into two (or more?) forums as yet anyway. As for Kara-Tur, is there a convincing reason why it shouldn't be under the Forgotten Realms section?
I'm not saying to move Kara-Tur. I was thinking of it like how the Blackmoor forum is done. It's fine where it is. I can understand about Oriental Adventures, though. No worries there.
Pathfinder is a rules set. World of Golarion is a setting.
Pathfinder is both the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder Campaign Setting. Note the logos. Paizo doesn't brand it as the Golarion Campaign Setting. It's an odd duck that way.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

I'm not saying to move Kara-Tur. I was thinking of it like how the Blackmoor forum is done. It's fine where it is. I can understand about Oriental Adventures, though. No worries there.
I'm actually tempted to remove those forum redirects for Blackmoor entirely (they are an artifact of that board's original location in the board hierarchy tree). they take space in the "jump to" navigation dropdown menu that could be taken by a real board. Effectively, right now Blackmoor gets three times as much exposure there as any other board.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

You might want to split this discussion off into a separate thread as it is about reorganisation of existing forums, rather than new forums as such.
Ashtagon wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:Got a few forum requests. Not sure if this is the right place or format. If not, then I apologize up front.

Sure. just tell me which forums I need to demote to make space for them :geek:

I wonder if your plan to shuffle the Community Projects section could instead be changed to a plan to remove it entirely (by making them all subforums elsewhere) and give their screen space to a few more campaign setting forums.

While I do think that it is harder to spot campaign settings that are in subforums, I also think that new forums start off so small that they are not an attractive thing to have on the front page. If a campaign setting needs "five threads" to earn its own forum, then maybe it needs "fifty threads" or "five hundred posts" to "buy its way out of Other Worlds.
Ashtagon wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:I would also request that Oriental Adventures be a top-level forum with Kara-Tur listed as a sub-forum, linking to the existing Kara-Tur subforum.
I've got to disagree here. I much prefer to have Kara-Tur next to Al-Qadim and Maztica.

If anything had to be changed, I'd rather see us have a Rokugan forum and drop non-world specific stuff into somewhere like The Orc's Revenge. It could be argued that Oriental Adventures, as well as the Historical Handbooks are sets of culture-based rules, rather than full settings.
Ashtagon wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:Pathfinder...It's a setting, it's a rules set. Any chance we could have it as a top-level setting forum, then have the Pathfinder rules subforum link to it?
Pathfinder is a rules set. World of Golarion is a setting. I guess its worth taking a look to see if there are enough Golarion-tagged posts to justify a setting forum. When that happens, I intend on placing Golarion in the campaign settings area, with stickied threads in each of the two forums to point to its partner.
I count 10 Golarian threads (with a couple of threads that could be seen as Golarion, rather than Pathfinder RPG).

There isn't a logo, as such, but five Pathfinder books have the word Golarion in the name and three of those use the same typeface for the word:
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cities_of_Golarion
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_C ... f_Golarion
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarves_of_Golarion
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Elves_of_Golarion
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Gnomes_of_Golarion
Dragonhelm wrote:Basically, I find that I'm missing some of the forums in the current organization. I figure I'm not alone in this. I would like to see some loving to some of the more popular D&D settings, and see if that, in turn, will generate more traffic in this site.

I think the main problem, with some of these settings, is that people are currently not wanting to talk about them as much as other settings. I think that the "loving" needs to come from the community itself, rather than from attempting to reorganise the forum to direct people towards forums that have less threads and/or less posts. In other words I think it is down to us to fix this - rather than Ash.

I also think that we have less "competition" (from other forums) with the minority settings. (I say this as someone who has made a lot of posts in minority forums, helped start up a few new ones and who hopes to see even more forums.) The Piazza might not be able to knock the Dragonlance Nexus forums into second place (in a search for "dragonlance forums") but it might be able to become the host to the world's most active Warcraft RPG or Talislanta discussion.

Eberron is an intersting case. I don't know of a leading independent Eberron website, yet. So perhaps we might be able to build that up...at some point.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Hi Ash,

After more thought, and some discussion with others, I am now convinced that creating a community project forum for the Mystara 2300 BC project is the right way to go. OldDawg has offered to host it under his GazF forum, which I think makes a lot of sense - as Mystara 2300 BC is an alternate continuity for the Mystara campaign setting. Here is the info I think you need:

Project Name: Mystara 2300 BC
Blurb: Rebuilding the world in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire.
Campaign World: Mystara (can it be placed as a sub-forum under the GazF project?)
Public Forum
Admins: I'd wager myself (Chimpman) and Old Dawg (since it will be placed under the GazF forum).

I also have a list of threads that should probably be moved over:
Mystara 2300 BC Thread Index
The index itself should be moved, along with all threads listed therein except for those under the Geographical Maps and Related sections.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

Chimpman wrote:Project Name: Mystara 2300 BC
Campaign World: Mystara (can it be placed as a sub-forum under the GazF project?)
Public Forum
Admins: I'd wager myself (Chimpman) and Old Dawg (since it will be placed under the GazF forum).
Forum created and posts moved over. I'll sort out the moderators later. In the meantime, maybe check if I missed any posts that should have been moved?

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

I've opened up a discussion for a possible "World of Golarion" forum icon here.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon »

Ashtagon wrote:My main issue is that I want to maintain the top level so that you can see every entry in a single screen. I cheerfully admit this is more an aesthetic issue than a technical one. But I haven't yet seen a convincing argument against this ideal.
This doesn't seem like a big issue to me. With the screen resolution (1280x800) on the laptop I normally read The Piazza on, I'd have to very carefully scroll to see all the settings forums on one screen, and even then, either the first or the last one is partially cut off. On all other machines I use, I tend to window my browser to some random amount that is close to that, but varies to somewhat less to somewhat more anyway. Plus, I have to scroll to see *all* the forums anyway, so the point seems rather moot to me. I'd rather have the rest of the 2nd edition era settings on the front page. Just my two cents. :)

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Ashtagon wrote:
Chimpman wrote:Project Name: Mystara 2300 BC
Public Forum
Forum created and posts moved over. I'll sort out the moderators later. In the meantime, maybe check if I missed any posts that should have been moved?
Thanks Ash!
I've checked the threads and it looks like you got everything. If you missed something then I missed it too...
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Here's a formal request for an Aquaria forum

Forum Request: Other Worlds

Forum Name : Aquaria
Blurb: Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
Admin(s): ExTSR, Havard

5 threads have been started by 4 different users:

Anyone know anything about Aquaria? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4102
[Aquaria]Aquaria as Aelos? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4132
[Aquaria] Players' Kit Map viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4138
[Aquaria] What happened to Empyrea? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4135
[Aquaria] Published Material viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4140&p=54319#p54319

:)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”