Forum Request Thread

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Re: Forum Request Thread

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:17 pm

anna wrote:I am formally requesting a Chainmail forum. It now has 21 threads!
The Chainmail forum at The Piazza has now been created and all the RPG discussions have been moved there.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

prespos
Goblin

Post by prespos » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:04 am

Hi, here is request for an Aerth forum.

Basically, Aerth was a setting created by Gary Gygax for the MYTHUS sub-system of the Dangerous Journeys game.
(Rumor has it that Gary worked on this book longer than he did on any other.)

Basically, Aerth is "Fantasy Earth".

Despite being written for MYTHUS, Aerth is a great setting for (ADVANCED) DUNGEONS & DRAGONS adventures & creativity, and, interest in Aerth remains to this day.

If not an Aerth sub-forum, then, perhaps... a "Fantasy Earth"' forum, where folk could discuss things like the HR (Historical Reference) series, that was produced by TSR?

Just an idea,
Prespos

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:09 am

I just recently acquired the trilogy of books and some of the rpg books, but I've not fully read them all yet.
(At the time I knew they existed but could not find them here in Italy)
I agree it's a very interesting setting, but probably a forum cannot be created until there are at least 10 topics about the world, IIRC.
From a quick search of the forum (search.php?keywords=mythus&terms=all&au ... mit=Search) it could well be that ten topics already exist about this setting.
I would favor the creation of a forum, as an homage to Gary Gygax if nothing else, but I don't know if we have some fans of the setting here.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:43 pm

Sturm wrote:I just recently acquired the trilogy of books and some of the rpg books, but I've not fully read them all yet.
(At the time I knew they existed but could not find them here in Italy)
I agree it's a very interesting setting, but probably a forum cannot be created until there are at least 10 topics about the world, IIRC.
From a quick search of the forum (search.php?keywords=mythus&terms=all&au ... mit=Search) it could well be that ten topics already exist about this setting.
I would favor the creation of a forum, as an homage to Gary Gygax if nothing else, but I don't know if we have some fans of the setting here.
When you do the same search on a threads view, the thread topics suggest there are only three threads (so far) that are about the setting.

fwiw, I bought two of the Dangerous Journeys books back in the day. Very interesting setting, but the game mechanics made no sense at all to me.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:43 am

How about a subforum for Whiteleaf in the Homebrew Worlds forum - so that the first page of the general section will have something besides willpell's monologues?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:38 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:How about a subforum for Whiteleaf in the Homebrew Worlds forum - so that the first page of the general section will have something besides willpell's monologues?
For what it's worth, I'm pretty much done flooding the board for now. I'll eventually put up a few more references, but the giant explosion of posts was due to a *second* forum salvage operation, following right on the heels of the Wotco one. Now that I've got everything from that salvaged, I can take my time and clean up the mess for a while.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:49 am

BlackBat242 wrote:How about a subforum for Whiteleaf in the Homebrew Worlds forum - so that the first page of the general section will have something besides willpell's monologues?
MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): You probably didn't mean it that way, but this comes across as looking a bit snarky. Please be careful about how you talk to other Piazza members.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:49 am

There are currently only 2 threads on the first page that are NOT his.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Big Mac wrote:
MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): You probably didn't mean it that way, but this comes across as looking a bit snarky. Please be careful about how you talk to other Piazza members.
No offense was taken. I'm aware I'm currently sticking out like a sore thumb; I only hope time will prove my actions justified.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Regardless of any question of snark, the minimum criteria remains unfulfilled. Simply having a lot of threads on a single setting is not in itself sufficient.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Regardless of any question of snark, the minimum criteria remains unfulfilled. Simply having a lot of threads on a single setting is not in itself sufficient.
I heartily encourage Piazza members to create threads discussing my setting, even if their opinion is uniformly negative (as long as it is at least vaguely useful about it; just telling me I suck doesn't help, but if you can posit at least one actual reason WHY such suckage exists in me, I will happily accept the criticism). In most cases, I would prefer that a new thread was created to discuss one of my threads, so as not to clutter the original thread itself, which is generally meant solely as a reference index (back on my former board, I had moderator powers and could simply split out such unwelcome posts into their own threads, without bothering to chastise anyone).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:25 pm

willpell wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:Regardless of any question of snark, the minimum criteria remains unfulfilled. Simply having a lot of threads on a single setting is not in itself sufficient.
I heartily encourage Piazza members to create threads discussing my setting, even if their opinion is uniformly negative (as long as it is at least vaguely useful about it; just telling me I suck doesn't help, but if you can posit at least one actual reason WHY such suckage exists in me, I will happily accept the criticism). In most cases, I would prefer that a new thread was created to discuss one of my threads, so as not to clutter the original thread itself, which is generally meant solely as a reference index (back on my former board, I had moderator powers and could simply split out such unwelcome posts into their own threads, without bothering to chastise anyone).
Hi Will. :)
You do not suck. However, your threads have not provided many responses and it seems that you yourself have discouraged such responses in your treads. If more people were talking about your setting, it might increase its chances of getting its own forum. (Ultimately, that is Ashtagon's decision though). Perhaps if you could find ways to encourage people to talk about your setting it could make things easier for you. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:01 pm

willpell wrote:I heartily encourage Piazza members to create threads discussing my setting, even if their opinion is uniformly negative (as long as it is at least vaguely useful about it; just telling me I suck doesn't help, but if you can posit at least one actual reason WHY such suckage exists in me, I will happily accept the criticism). In most cases, I would prefer that a new thread was created to discuss one of my threads, so as not to clutter the original thread itself, which is generally meant solely as a reference index (back on my former board, I had moderator powers and could simply split out such unwelcome posts into their own threads, without bothering to chastise anyone).
Havard wrote: Hi Will. :)
You do not suck. However, your threads have not provided many responses and it seems that you yourself have discouraged such responses in your treads. If more people were talking about your setting, it might increase its chances of getting its own forum. (Ultimately, that is Ashtagon's decision though). Perhaps if you could find ways to encourage people to talk about your setting it could make things easier for you. :)
I should point out that this is a discussion forum, and not a blog or wiki. As such, I will provide no support, formal or informal, to any requests for people not to post meaningful discussion replies in a thread. Creating a thread does not give you any right to prevent others from replying to it. Implicit in creating a thread in a discussion forum is a request for others to write meaningful replies and enter into a discussion. If you do not wish to have people reply to your posts, then a discussion forum simply isn't the correct place to post the material. Discussion forums are intended for discussion. People can of course choose to make a discussion post about your setting as a new thread, but there is no requirement for them to discuss your setting in a new thread; nor will I pay any attention to a request to separate their replies into a new thread.

tl;dr version: This site is for discussion. If you wish to discuss this aspect of forum policy, please discuss it in another thread. This thread is intended purely for requests for new forums; it is not a discussion thread.

If that sounds contradictory, feel free to discuss the contradictory nature of it in a new thread.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:57 am

prespos wrote:Hi, here is request for an Aerth forum.

Basically, Aerth was a setting created by Gary Gygax for the MYTHUS sub-system of the Dangerous Journeys game.
(Rumor has it that Gary worked on this book longer than he did on any other.)

Basically, Aerth is "Fantasy Earth".

Despite being written for MYTHUS, Aerth is a great setting for (ADVANCED) DUNGEONS & DRAGONS adventures & creativity, and, interest in Aerth remains to this day.
Hi Prespos.

The Piazza does not operate a "if you build it they will come" policy, where people can propose forums for any setting or ruleset - it operates a "if they come we will build it" policy, where new forums will be built around an existing subcommunity.

In case you missed the proceedure for requesting a topic in this part of the top post of this topic, here is the important bit:
Ashtagon wrote:Effective immediately, the forum creation policy is as follows:

* Ten threads with meaningful content.
* At least five different individuals being initiators and/or meaingful content contributors on these threads.
So, if you want a forum for Aerth, you need to do the following:
  • Find five people (including yourself) who want to talk about the Aerth at The Piazza in topics with a "[Aerth]" forum tag,
  • Use the forum search system to find topics with an "[Aerth]" tag and wait unti there are ten meaningful topics.
Once you have done both of those, you can come back here and repost this request.

Topics about campaign settings that do not have a bespoke forum are usually posted in the Other Worlds forum (unless they are a subsetting of another setting that already has a forum).

I only see one Aerth topic: [Mythus] Regarding Aerth and that one was written in 2012 and you have not actually posted in it. I suggest you either write in that topic or post a topic of your own, that is about some other aspect of the campaign setting. Perhaps the right sort of topic will get more people talking about the campaign setting.
prespos wrote:If not an Aerth sub-forum, then, perhaps... a "Fantasy Earth"' forum, where folk could discuss things like the HR (Historical Reference) series, that was produced by TSR?
The same logic would apply to that idea.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Apparently, a formal request for Ghostwalk has been lacking. I am making it now, and present the first big paragraph of this post as evidence in support of it.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:55 pm

willpell wrote:Apparently, a formal request for Ghostwalk has been lacking. I am making it now, and present the first big paragraph of this post as evidence in support of it.
The Ghostwalk forum at The Piazza has now been created, and all the Ghostwalk topics have been moved into it.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:06 pm

There are now six threads with the [Council of Wyrms] tag. This may not be enough to create a forum for that setting yet, but I hope it at least signals movement in that direction.

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Sad as it is, I think it would be a good idea to have page dedicated to obituaries for people who were important to gaming in some way. I found the commemoration for Joe Dever by chance on these boards, and I think all our heroes deserve a place of honor, which does not get pushed out for newer threads.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:53 pm

stebehil wrote:Sad as it is, I think it would be a good idea to have page dedicated to obituaries for people who were important to gaming in some way. I found the commemoration for Joe Dever by chance on these boards, and I think all our heroes deserve a place of honor, which does not get pushed out for newer threads.
That is a sad topic, isn't it.

I guess that a hypothetical forum would be a subforum of The Wishing Well (as that is where "industry news" goes).

It's outside the normal remit of what gets forums at The Piazza (campaign settings and rules systems) but Ashtagon has been known to set up forums for things such as projects, homebrew worlds, and expand The Piazza in ways that it didn't originally support. I'm going to get in touch with her and see what she thinks.

Another possible way to handle this could be to have some sort of sticky topic for obituaries in The Wishing Well, and make a list of topics about dead RPG designers.

But I have to say that, either way, it's a pretty sad thing. When we had the Piazza restructure a few years back, myself and a few of the other moderators spent a couple of days moving topics to the new Crunchy Bits forum, the Wishing Well forum and the Squishy Bits forum. It was hard work, but it was great to see the forum growing into it's current form. But one of the things that made me sad was that I literally had to re-read every single topic in the older subforums that were getting replaced and was forced to read pretty much all of the RIP topics in one go. It put a downer on what was otherwise an awesome and exciting process.

If Ashtagon says "yes" to this, then I'd presumably have to go find all the RIP topics, another time, and move them into a new forum. (Same for if we have a sticky topic.) And if it's a bit of a downer for me, it might be a bit of a downer for other people too.

But you make a very valid point about the honour aspect. (Maybe "The Hall of Valhalla" would be a good name for a forum, if Ash thinks this is something that should go ahead.)

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Big Mac wrote: If Ashtagon says "yes" to this, then I'd presumably have to go find all the RIP topics, another time, and move them into a new forum. (Same for if we have a sticky topic.) And if it's a bit of a downer for me, it might be a bit of a downer for other people too.

But you make a very valid point about the honour aspect. (Maybe "The Hall of Valhalla" would be a good name for a forum, if Ash thinks this is something that should go ahead.)
It surely is sad and will get people reading these hypothetical threads very sad. But then, a cemetary serves as a place for the living to commemorate those who are no longer among us. And I indeed do think that all these people deserve commemoration. Face, without many of them, we would not be here posting about our favorite aspects of the games. So, this would be appropriate to do here as well IMO. It is a sad fact of live that, as we grow older, the heroes of our own youth pass away at some point, be it relatives, actors, musicians or game designers.
(I thought of a title more like Halls of the Immortals at first, but that might be over the top.)

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:10 am

Having a section specifically for obituaries and nothing else is not going to happen. The primary focus of this site is gaming, not obituaries; in this decision we are no different from most other RPG sites. It might also end up being an invitation to trolling, and moderating such a section might well prove emotionally stressful to anyone given the task.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Oh hey. BigMac just pointed out that I am now allowed to request that I make a Warhammer forum. Please?

:D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 am

Ashtagon wrote:Oh hey. BigMac just pointed out that I am now allowed to request that I make a Warhammer forum. Please?

:D
Your request has been granted...by yourself! :lol:

And the Forum Creating Giant Space Hamster has just finished creating the: Warhammer forum at The Piazza. :mrgreen:

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:31 am

I was wondering who she was asking exactly.....

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:43 am

I wonder if it would be possible to create the Masque of the Red Death a sub-forum for Ravenloft. We currently have 16 threads with the [MotRD] tag, and increasing interest in the sub-setting.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”