Forum Request Thread

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Forum Request Thread

Post by Tim Baker »

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:12 pm
there is an official logo.
I scaled the official logo down, and here's what I was able to do with it. You can't make out the faces of the dice or the "adventure game engine" text, but it's recognizable as the logo.

If you don't like it, no worries. Just thought I'd offer it up, if this is the one the AGE community prefers.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

I see all this talk about an Age System board, but I think we may need to take a step back to consider what is being proposed.

Is the proposal for "Age System - the rules", or for "game settings whose only common feature is using the same rules engine"? If the former is being proposed, we need to check how many of these threads are about discussing the rules system, as opposed to discussing settings. If the latter, it's kind of like having a board specifically for Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, Gamma World, and Cthulhu (whose unifying characteristic is using the same rules system).
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Ashtagon wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:50 am
I see all this talk about an Age System board, but I think we may need to take a step back to consider what is being proposed.

Is the proposal for "Age System - the rules", or for "game settings whose only common feature is using the same rules engine"? If the former is being proposed, we need to check how many of these threads are about discussing the rules system, as opposed to discussing settings. If the latter, it's kind of like having a board specifically for Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, Gamma World, and Cthulhu (whose unifying characteristic is using the same rules system).
Good question! :D

I got distracted by the logo proposal. We don't need a logo.

My original intent was to do exactly like D20 Modern. Settings like Urban Arcana and Dark Mater are in the Crunchy Bit section, with the rules discussions. We should do the same for AGE. A Crunchy Bit section that includes all AGE games and settings in one place. Later, if a setting gets a lot of traction we could open up a setting section.

LIST OF BOOKS:

Systems:
- Fantasy AGE (Books: Basic Book, Companion, Bestiary, Campaign Builders Guide)
- Modern AGE (Book: Basic Book, Companion, Enemies & Allies)

Stand Alone Settings:
- Threefold (Modern AGE)
- Lazarus (Modern AGE)
- Freeport (Fantasy AGE. Not published yet)

Full game with rules and setting in a single book:
- The Expanse AGE
- Dragon AGE
- Blue Rose (2015 version uses AGE)

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster »

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:56 pm
I'm looking at all the activity around the AGE System by Green Ronin - Dragon AGE, Fantasy AGE, Bleu Rose, Modern AGE, The Expense (AGE), Freeport for Fantasy AGE - and I believe we have enough threads and posts for a dedicated forum about AGE - Adventure Gaming Engine.
I'm a bit ignorant about the various AGE products, but one thing I do know is that Blue Rose is a campaign setting. And campaign settings trump rules at The Piazza, so there will be a Blue Rose forum (that also covers the previous system Blue Rose used True 20 IIRC) if/when there is ever a demand for that, rather than Blue Rose discussions being diverted from Other Worlds to a rules forum.

And Freeport discussions go in the Freeport forum, regardless of what system they are about.

The Expense sounds like a campaign setting too. (Is that something to do with the TV show?)

An AGE forum would specifically be about rules discussions (outside of any of the settings in the above product lines).

BTW: This page says that it is Adventure Game Engine - rather than "Gaming", for anyone trying to create a forum search that will pull up all the topics.

Has anyone found a search that locates stuff? "[AGE]" isn't going to work as a forum tag. It's going to be too common a word.

We might be able to use "[DragonAGE]" and "[ModernAGE]" with the space (illegally) removed, to trick phpBB into treating "AGE" as part of a search link. But I think that someone would need to find a way to locate those topics, so that I could switch to Topic Title Editing Giant Space Hamster mode and retroactively add a forum topic to make it possible to find topics.

If I can't actually find the topics, I can't evaluate how many of the topics are about settings and how many of the topics are purely about AGE.

So it's great that we have folks working on making logos, but you might want to hold your horses, until we find out how many topics we actually have and how many would count towards a forum request.

BTW: When I create new forums, and some topics don't count - like a Kickstarter annoucement in The Wishing Well or a topic about "how many AGE books there were for Freeport" - I will generally create a redirect to the topic that isn't moving into that forum. So I do also need to find all the topics that do not qualify, so that I can do that.

The forum request is supposed to be someone confirming that we have enough topics, confirming that we have enough posters, proposing a forum blurb and other stuff. These day we mostly get people saying "I think we can have a forum for X now" and I then have to go off and do the research to see if that is correct.

I don't mind that. I do want to see The Piazza expand, but when somethig is for an awkward product line - like this - I've got no clue what to search for to find the full list of topics. And I'm all out of lunch break, so if someone could drop me some search links or a full list of topics, I'll get to work on it. (I can even let you know what counts and what does not count if that helps. :) )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Giant Space Hamster wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:57 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:56 pm
I'm looking at all the activity around the AGE System by Green Ronin - Dragon AGE, Fantasy AGE, Bleu Rose, Modern AGE, The Expense (AGE), Freeport for Fantasy AGE - and I believe we have enough threads and posts for a dedicated forum about AGE - Adventure Gaming Engine.
I'm a bit ignorant about the various AGE products, but one thing I do know is that Blue Rose is a campaign setting. And campaign settings trump rules at The Piazza, so there will be a Blue Rose forum (that also covers the previous system Blue Rose used True 20 IIRC) if/when there is ever a demand for that, rather than Blue Rose discussions being diverted from Other Worlds to a rules forum.

And Freeport discussions go in the Freeport forum, regardless of what system they are about.

The Expense sounds like a campaign setting too. (Is that something to do with the TV show?)

An AGE forum would specifically be about rules discussions (outside of any of the settings in the above product lines).

BTW: This page says that it is Adventure Game Engine - rather than "Gaming", for anyone trying to create a forum search that will pull up all the topics.

Has anyone found a search that locates stuff? "[AGE]" isn't going to work as a forum tag. It's going to be too common a word.

We might be able to use "[DragonAGE]" and "[ModernAGE]" with the space (illegally) removed, to trick phpBB into treating "AGE" as part of a search link. But I think that someone would need to find a way to locate those topics, so that I could switch to Topic Title Editing Giant Space Hamster mode and retroactively add a forum topic to make it possible to find topics.

If I can't actually find the topics, I can't evaluate how many of the topics are about settings and how many of the topics are purely about AGE.

So it's great that we have folks working on making logos, but you might want to hold your horses, until we find out how many topics we actually have and how many would count towards a forum request.

BTW: When I create new forums, and some topics don't count - like a Kickstarter annoucement in The Wishing Well or a topic about "how many AGE books there were for Freeport" - I will generally create a redirect to the topic that isn't moving into that forum. So I do also need to find all the topics that do not qualify, so that I can do that.

The forum request is supposed to be someone confirming that we have enough topics, confirming that we have enough posters, proposing a forum blurb and other stuff. These day we mostly get people saying "I think we can have a forum for X now" and I then have to go off and do the research to see if that is correct.

I don't mind that. I do want to see The Piazza expand, but when somethig is for an awkward product line - like this - I've got no clue what to search for to find the full list of topics. And I'm all out of lunch break, so if someone could drop me some search links or a full list of topics, I'll get to work on it. (I can even let you know what counts and what does not count if that helps. :) )
My original intent was to do exactly like D20 Modern. Settings like Urban Arcana and Dark Mater are in the Crunchy Bit section, with the rules discussions. We should do the same for AGE. A Crunchy Bit section that includes all AGE games and settings in one place. Later, if a setting gets a lot of traction we could open up a setting section.

(edit) This coming week I,ll do a list of threads.

LIST OF BOOKS:

Systems:

Stand Alone Settings:
- Threefold (Modern AGE)
- Lazarus (Modern AGE)

- The Expanse AGE
- Dragon AGE

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

What might be helpful is:

1) Decide on appropriate tags for rules and settings. Some threads may be focused on setting only, and not justify a rules tag, and some might be focused on rules discussion and not require a setting tag; a few threads may reasonably take both.

2) Search through threads that are relevant, and report them, requesting that a moderator come along and add the relevant tags to each thread.

This should go a long way towards helping to identify appropriate threads for eventual moving into new rules/setting boards.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Ashtagon wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:31 pm

1) Decide on appropriate tags for rules and settings. Some threads may be focused on setting only, and not justify a rules tag, and some might be focused on rules discussion and not require a setting tag; a few threads may reasonably take both.

2) Search through threads that are relevant, and report them, requesting that a moderator come along and add the relevant tags to each thread.

This should go a long way towards helping to identify appropriate threads for eventual moving into new rules/setting boards.
I'll go over the thread I can edit and fix the tags. A lot of them already have a tag because I like tags but the empty space between Modern and AGE does not help searches. I'll remove it.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Ashtagon wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:31 pm

I went back 25 pages (2010) into the Crunchy bit forum.

Tags are:
[ModernAGE]
[FantasyAGE]
[DragonAGE]
[AGE] 

Did not see any Blue Rose in Crunchy. They are in Other Worlds, Home-brew and Squishy Bits. Some are True 20 other are AGE.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:19 pm
LIST OF BOOKS:

Systems:

Stand Alone Settings:
- Threefold (Modern AGE)
- Lazarus (Modern AGE)

- The Expanse AGE
- Dragon AGE
You might want to do a search for "Titansgrave" as well, since that uses the AGE system. Also, some of the Midgard products were written for AGE. There might be Crunchy Bits discussions about adaptations to AGE for parts of Midgard that weren't included in those books, for example.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:54 am
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:19 pm
LIST OF BOOKS:

Systems:

Stand Alone Settings:
- Threefold (Modern AGE)
- Lazarus (Modern AGE)

- The Expanse AGE
- Dragon AGE
You might want to do a search for "Titansgrave" as well, since that uses the AGE system. Also, some of the Midgard products were written for AGE. There might be Crunchy Bits discussions about adaptations to AGE for parts of Midgard that weren't included in those books, for example.
Thank you!

LIST OF BOOKS:

Systems:

Stand Alone Settings:
- Titansgrave (Fantasy AGE)
- Lazarus (Modern AGE)
- Threefold (Modern AGE)

Full game with AGE rules and setting in a single book:
- The Expanse AGE
- Dragon AGE
- Blue Rose AGE (2015 version)

3PP Books
- Midgard for AGE

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

I feel very unsure about this issue, so I will share my doubts here for your considerations.
I can see that Tekumel sub-forum has been added to the non-TSR worlds list and this can be controversial, as (what I think was) the first Tekumel publication (Empire of the Petal Throne) was originally a boxed set by TSR. However, many subsequent Tekumel publications were made by other publishers.
Under this point of view, I don't know in which list actually Tekumel belongs.
Last edited by Yaztromo on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Yaztromo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:25 am
I can see that Tekumel sub-forum has been added to the non-TSR worlds list and this can be controversial, as (what I think was) the first Tekumel publication (Empire of the Petal Throne) was originally a boxed set by TSR. However, many subsequent Tekumel publications were made by other publishers.
I view Critical Role in a similar way. It's now an official part of the WotC D&D multiverse. But its first sourcebook was published by Green Ronin. And the IP isn't owned by WotC, as far as I know. So it's a bit ambiguous.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

I'm still working on data capture for Fantasy Age and Modern Age, at the moment. I'm not ignoring that, but I want to address this:
Yaztromo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:25 am
I feel very unsure about this issue, so I will share my doubts here for your considerations.
...and...
Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:43 am
I view Critical Role in a similar way. It's now an official part of the WotC D&D multiverse. But its first sourcebook was published by Green Ronin. And the IP isn't owned by WotC, as far as I know. So it's a bit ambiguous.
We have had a number of people who would like the forums to be organised in different ways (and those ways have been incompatible with each other).

The fist thing done was to reproduce the Other Campaign Worlds forums of the Wizards COMmunity Boards (basically the big settings that WotC gave forums to) add an Other Worlds forum at the bottom (Homebrew Worlds followed that, but is not relevant to this discussion, so I'll skip that).

Then we had people calling for subcommunities within Other Worlds and some of those communities actually grew to be larger than the communities outside Other Worlds. So there was a call for the smaller forums outside Other Worlds to "give way" for more popular settings inside Other Worlds.

Then we had people calling for the process of "hiding" smaller subcommunities inside Other Worlds to be abandoned (from people who believed that putting subforums inside other forums would make less people notice them and cause them to grow more slowly than less prominent forums - essentially meaning that if put there a forum would stay there forever and never catch up).

So then we pulled everything out and had a big stack of forums with the Dungeons & Dragons worlds on top and the non-Dungeons & Dragons worlds below, but it was informal and the division was a virtual one and again, we had people making for a call to change things (as they didn't like scrolling up and down).

So now the virtual division has gone, replaced by a physical division of two forums (currently called "D&D Campaign Worlds from TSR and WotC" and "Other Publishers").

This gives us a problem with the quasi D&D settings:
  • Aquaria was published in RPGA adventures as part of Greyhawk before Gary Gygax was removed from TSR, but is not owned by WotC
  • Call of Cthulhu information was included in some D&D books, but Call of Chtuluh is not owned by WotC,
  • Conan was published in a couple of different D&D formats by TSR, but is not owned by WotC,
  • Critical Role has been licensed to both Green Ronin and WotC, but is not owned by WotC,
  • Gamma World has been published using D&D rules, but is not part of the D&D multiverse,
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar was published with the official D&D logo under licence, but is not owned by WotC,
  • Lankhmar has been published in D&D format by TSR, but is not owned by WotC,
  • Magic the Gathering is owned by WotC, but the RPG products use D&D rules, but do not add Magic: the Gathering to the D&D multiverse,
  • Pelinore was published by TSR UK's Imagine Magazine using D&D rules and then an independent company, WotC do not seem to assert ownership over this world,
  • Tékemel was originally published by TSR, but then they dropped the setting and M.A.R. Baker sold it via other companies, the Tekumel foundation assets ownership of it,
  • Wilderlands was published with the official D&D logo under licence but is not owned by WotC.
  • Warcraft was published with the official D&D logo under licence but is not owned by WotC.
So Empire of the Petal Throne and Critical Role are both important parts of tabletop roleplaying (and have earned a place at The Piazza) but neither of them are controlled by WotC. And WotC's own Magic settings are not part of the D&D multiverse.

Having said that, this split is just to break up the forum into smaller more-managable sections, as requested previously. There is no meaning of importance attached to a setting being put in one place or the other.

So there should not be any controversy. Nobody is looking down on EPT or Critical Role. And if anyone calls for something to be moved, it will only make someone else think that something wrong is going on, at some point.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

I can understand very well that labelling and organising all these sub-forums can be very tricky... :)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Yaztromo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:13 am
I can understand very well that labelling and organising all these sub-forums can be very tricky... :)
For sure. My comment was intended to show that Tekumel isn't alone. Big Mac provided a much more thorough list, but that was the direction I was going as well. There are these ambiguous settings, which have a foot in D&D, but aren't entirely there.

Return to “The Kippin' Griffin”