Drazen's Horde roll call

“You think your people will be free? You think you have escaped me? You mortals will have nothing but war, not a moment of peace until a new God of War rises to replace me.” Discuss the Sundered Empire featured in the Chainmail campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Drazen's Horde roll call

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:37 am

From my Ahmut's Legion role call topic:
Big Mac wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:29 pm
I thought I'd make a list of miniatures, from the various factions for a couple of reasons:
  1. It will allow me to work out how many types of commanders and how many types of troops exist in Chainmail canon and
  2. It can serve as a checklist, for me to look through and figure out how many of these have Battlesheets and other documents that help with tabletop play (and which ones might need work done on them).
DRAZEN'S HORDE ROLL CALL:

DRAZEN'S HORDE COMMANDERS:
  • Hobgoblin Tribal Protector (Cost 55, Commander 4): No Battlesheet, No Model Tactics: (Ftr6/Other 2)
  • Hobgoblin Adept (Cost 18, Commander 4): Battlesheet, Model Tactics: (Adp 4)
  • Hobgoblin Fighter (Cost 15, Commander 3) Battlesheet, No Model Tactics: (Ftr 2)
  • Orc Druid (Cost 12, Commander 2): Battlesheet, No Model Tactics: (Drd 2)
DRAZEN'S HORDE WILD TROOPS: DRAZEN'S HORDE OTHER TROOPS: Sundered Empire faction roll calls: Ahmut's Legion, Drazen's Horde, Kilsek, Mordengard, Naresh, Ravilla, Thalos, No Faction

LAST EDIT (by Big Mac 23 Apr 2019): Wild Troops split off, partial stats found for Hobgoblin Tribal Protector and full stats found for Hill Giant, Harpy and Orc Rager and Ogre Delver
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Drazen's Horde roll call

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Missing Ogre Delver class/level added.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Drazen's Horde has the same number of minis as Ahmut's Legion. Again, it is less than I was expecting to see, but again, I think we might be able to infer more about this faction.

Drazen's Horde is another evil faction, so again, I'd probably not have PCs who are members of this faction.

Again, I think it would be possible to use the "Cost" of the minis to infer how common they would be in a Drazen's Horde encounter table. (i.e. a Hobgoblin Tribal protector is almost five times as expensive as an Orc Druid, so maybe there should be five times as many Orc Druids as Hobgoblin Tribal Protectors.)

There are more minis here, where the class/race/monster level isn't obvious, so I'll have to try to find something else to help me reverse-engineer this.

The Drazen's Horde section, in the Chainmail Core Rulebook mentions Drazen's Shamen, who is called Mordek. But I don't see any Shaman in the Commanders or Troops. :?
Big Mac wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:37 am
  • Hobgoblin Tribal Protector (Cost 55, Commander 4): No Battlesheet, No Model Tactics
  • Hobgoblin Fighter (Cost 15, Commander 3) Battlesheet, No Model Tactics: (Ftr 2)
There are two mysteries with the Drazen's Horde commanders.

The first is that they have Orc Druids as commanders. I didn't see that one coming. That opens the door to other Orc NPC commanders. But it also leaves me wondering where Orc Druids gain power from. Do druids need to gain power from a deity in Greyhawk?

The second mystery is the "Hobgoblin Tribal Protector". It's the most expensive commander in the faction. It has a name that doesn't line up with a class (so doesn't follow the class = commander rule). It must be some sort of combination of other classes. It's a lot more expensive than a Hobgoblin Adept, but only has the same level of Command points. I don't know what that might imply about the class levels. (Maybe it has some class levels that give low levels of command.)

Could "Tribal Protectors" be the same things as Shamen? :?
Big Mac wrote:
DRAZEN'S HORDE TROOPS:
There is a nice mix of goblinoids here. Goblins and orcs and bugbears fit in well. (Having hobgoblins rule over orcs makes a change.)

I wasn't expecting to see ogres, ettins and hill giants.

Harpies were also something I was not expecting.

The other unexpected thing is the dire boars, owlbears and war apes.

All of these minis need their own background history, to explain why they have fallen in with Drazen's Horde (and are not just mercenaries).
Last edited by Big Mac on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Links to other roll call topics added.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Chapter 9 of the Chainmail Core Rulebook has a section for warlords, that lists the Commanders and Independent troops on page 105.

I've already done the working out in my Ahmut's Legion roll call topic (and looked at some other things that do not directly affect the roll call, so I'm just going to focus on seeing what extra information Chapter 9 can give me about the Drazen's Horde miniatures.

I'll also see if the Chainmail Warband Generator can help me separate out any Wild Troops or Difficult Troops, as I have now decided to split those out (although I'm still suspecting that Difficult Troops might always be cross-faction troops).

Here is what we

Here is what I've already got for the commanders:
Big Mac wrote:
  • Hobgoblin Tribal Protector (Cost 55, Commander 4): No Battlesheet, No Model Tactics
Here is what page 105 of Chainmail Core Rulebook says about Commanders:
Chainmail Core Rulebook: Chaper 9 Running a Chainmail Campaign: Warlord Class and Level wrote:Drazen's Horde
Hobgoblin Tribal Protector (C4) Ftr6/Other 2
Hobgoblin Adept (C4) Adp4
Hobgoblin Fighter (C3) Ftr2
Orc Druid (C2) Drd2
So that's extra information about the Hobgoblin Tribal Protector...

...but it's got two levels of "Other" that I need to figure out.

I checked the Chainmail page on Lost Miniatures Workshop to see if that could help me with the Stat Card. That said it was an unmade Stat 5 miniature. The Set 5 Stat Cards are on the WotC website! :cool:

Sadly the Hobgoblin Tribal Protector Stat Card also says Ftr 6/Other 2. So, it looks like this is a dead-end for the Hobgoblin Tribal Protector. (But I had forgotten about the Stat Card. I bought some very thing Chainmail books that have Stat Cards in them, I guess I'll trawl through them all, in my next pass of these Roll Call topics, to see if they help me with any of the missing class levels.)
Big Mac wrote:
DRAZEN'S HORDE TROOPS:
Page 105 of Chainmail Core Rulebook does not have any Independent Troops on it.

Meanwhile the Chainmail Warband Generator gives me this:
  • Dire Boar (Cost 29, Command Needed 1 (wild))
  • Owlbear (Cost 29, Command Needed 1 (wild))
  • War Ape (Cost 14, Command Needed 1 (wild))
So no Independent Troop options (for Drazen's Horde scout NPCs that could sneak up on the PCs) but three Wild Troops that the PCs might come up against.

I'm realising that it's more important for these to be listed separately. If PCs form a Warband and bring along Wild Troops they are more likely to loose control in the heat of battle (and follow the Out of Command rules). And Wild Troops in NPC Warbands, run by a GM, are likely to do the same.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:55 pm

Wild Troops split off, partial stats found for Hobgoblin Tribal Protector and full stats found for Hill Giant, Harpy and Orc Rager and Ogre Delver

Return to “Chainmail”