[Chainmail] Notable Artifacts of the Sundered Empire

“You think your people will be free? You think you have escaped me? You mortals will have nothing but war, not a moment of peace until a new God of War rises to replace me.” Discuss the Sundered Empire featured in the Chainmail campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

[Chainmail] Notable Artifacts of the Sundered Empire

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:51 am

Notable Artifacts of the Sundered Empire

Ebon Glaive: Artifact weapon (glaive/polearm) once wielded by Stratis. Located in a place called Scalebane, once known as the Plain of Edora. This is a massive draconic graveyard, left behind after a war between good and evil dragons.

Bonebreak: Artifact weapon (club) of Stratis. Located somewhere on the Ghostwind Plateau, a place where the God of War defeated an army of fire giants in ages past.

Thunderlash: ?

Shock Rifle: Weapon created by the Mordengard dwarves.

Stratis’ Longsword (name?): In the possession of a young elf named Tarquin. He's enigmatic, and hails from an ancient and illustrious family. It is whispered that he may become the Emperor of Ravilla.

Other artifacts of Stratis (more than 4!? - not certain of this. Stratis is a four armed god, so presumably only four weapons. His brothers Heironeous has two arms, Hextor has 6.)

Aside from that, I also noted that apparently rare deposits of Stratis' blood can still be found. These deposits, found deep beneath the earth, are another contested area of battle. It is said that those strong enough to claim it fight with his fury on their battlefield.

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from Sundered Empire: Religions thread.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Chainmail] Notable Artifacts of the Sundered Empire

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:Ebon Glaive: Artifact weapon (glaive/polearm) once wielded by Stratis. Located in a place called Scalebane, once known as the Plain of Edora. This is a massive draconic graveyard, left behind after a war between good and evil dragons.
The Stratis article on the Great Library of Greyhawk has a section about the Panopoly of Stratis. That mentions the Ebon Glaive:
Stratis article on the Great Library of Greyhawk wrote:The Ebon Glaive is a +5 mithril dragonbane keen glaive of speed. The weapon is neutral, intelligent (Int 20, Wis 16, Cha 18, Ego 39; speech and telepathy), and its special purpose is the slaying of dragons.
Cthulhudrew wrote:Bonebreak: Artifact weapon (club) of Stratis. Located somewhere on the Ghostwind Plateau, a place where the God of War defeated an army of fire giants in ages past.
The Story of Bonebreak is also mentioned in the Stratis article on the Great Library of Greyhawk. It is a branch ripped off of the World Ash. GLoG does not mention any stats. But as the World Ash is a conduit to Ysgard, perhaps it has powers that relate to planar travel or somesuch.
Cthulhudrew wrote:Thunderlash: ?
There is a Chainmail mini called a Dwarven Thunderlasher in Chainmail Set 2:
WotC article on Dwarven Thunderlashers wrote:Model: Dwarf Thunderlasher

Faction: Mordengard

Why It Rocks: The Dwarf Thunderlasher wields an elemental whip of caged thunder. He can damage and even stun opposing models with the sonic crack of his whip. Large and small models alike rightly fear the Dwarf Thunderlasher.

Tricks & Tactics: Because the Dwarf Thunderlasher has double the reach of most models his size, he enjoys an expanded potential for affecting other models. A great way to exploit this advantage is to advance with a tougher, higher-armor model first, and maneuver the Dwarf Thunderlasher to follow just behind. This is a good tactic because you want to get the Thunderlasher near a high-health or high-armor enemy model. The touch attack of the Thunderlasher's sonic whip is s great way to stun even the strongest opposing models, no matter how heavily armored.

Even though Dwarf Thunderlashers have low health, a failed morale saving throw doesn't necessarily mean they'll rout off the field. Like all dwarves, their slow speed means they're likely to stay on the board long enough for your commander to rally them.

Enemies Who Hate to See It: Because the Dwarf Thunderlasher's sonic whip doesn't depend on the enemy's armor for a successful strike, opposing models who paid a cost for high armor rightfully fear coming up against a Dwarf Thunderlasher. Other Dwarves, Thalos's constructs, and big demons like the Abyssal Ravager want someone else in their warband to kill the Thunderlasher fast.

Cross-Faction Warband That Might Want to Use It: If you're building a Thalos warband using the Pulverizer, the Dwarf Thunderlasher may be an interesting addition, since both rely on sonic energy to destroy their enemies. And unlike cold energy, electrical energy, fire energy, and even acid -- all of which Abyssal models from the Naresh faction can resist -- sonic energy hits everything in the game equally hard.
So this is an elemental whip that releases a sonic attack. But given that it is common enough to be on a mini, I would say this was a conventional magic item (perhaps created in bulk by the People’s Republic of Mordengard for the war effort) rather than an artifact.
Cthulhudrew wrote:Shock Rifle: Weapon created by the Mordengard dwarves.
Where did you source that name from? I've hunted around and the only place I've seen it is this post by Icarus in a thread called "Stratis: The Story of Bonebreak" at the Canonfire! forums. And Icarus pretty much says the same as you.

There is a miniature called a Dwarf Shock Trooper. There is no Model Tactics page for it, but there is a Dwarf Shock Trooper Battlesheet. That says the gun is a "gun +4" but does not specifically call it a "Shock Rifle". I'm guessing this would be a conventional magic item, made in a similar way to a Thunderlash. :?
Cthulhudrew wrote:Stratis’ Longsword (name?): In the possession of a young elf named Tarquin. He's enigmatic, and hails from an ancient and illustrious family. It is whispered that he may become the Emperor of Ravilla.
Stratis's sword is mentioned on page 14 of the Chainmail Core Rulebook. But no name is mentioned for the sword.
Cthulhudrew wrote:Other artifacts of Stratis (more than 4!? - not certain of this. Stratis is a four armed god, so presumably only four weapons. His brothers Heironeous has two arms, Hextor has 6.)
The Panopoly of Stratis in the Stratis article on the Great Library of Greyhawk actually has brief desciptions of 6 weapons and his shield. It also mentions his helm, breastplate, bracers, greaves, and thrown dart.
Cthulhudrew wrote:Aside from that, I also noted that apparently rare deposits of Stratis' blood can still be found. These deposits, found deep beneath the earth, are another contested area of battle. It is said that those strong enough to claim it fight with his fury on their battlefield.
Page 8 of the Chainmail Core Rulebook mentions Stratis's blood and says that it is corrosive and burned holes from the surface of the Sundered Empire into the ancient gith tunnels that led to the abandoned gith city where the drow live.

There is a scenario on page 91 of the Core Rulebook called Blood Harvest. That features something called Divine Sparks, which miniatures in the battle can somehow absorb. Divine Sparks provide a +1 bonus on attack rolls, health, and saves during the scenario, but I'm not sure how long the effect lasts.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Chainmail”