[Chainmail] Sundered Empire: A Timeline

“You think your people will be free? You think you have escaped me? You mortals will have nothing but war, not a moment of peace until a new God of War rises to replace me.” Discuss the Sundered Empire featured in the Chainmail campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

[Chainmail] Sundered Empire: A Timeline

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:39 am

Okay, going to do this now, while I'm still awake and thinking about it. Otherwise, it may be never. ;)

Compiled from several articles on the Chainmail! game in Dragon Magazine, here's the rough timeline of the Sundered Empire region of Oerth:

History

Year Event (Issue #)
? Elves in western Oerik split in two groups- wood and gray. Little communication between the two. (285)
-1500 Abyssal gateways open in the heart of the realm now known as Ravilla, bringing forth demon hordes commanded by Yeenoghu and Baphomet. The wood elf Peramil journeys to the lands of the gray elves, who send their assistance. The Demon War begins between demons and elves. (285)
Demon War (lasts hundreds of years) (295)
After Demon War Gray elves charged with guarding Abyssal gateways. Wood elves return to forests. (285)
Demon War +50 years People begin to arrive in Western Oerik. Responding to overpopulation in their southern homelands, clans of dwarves make their way up the coastline on war barges. Four waves of warriors and settlers make their way into the Sundered Empire region over the next 100 years. They settle the mountain range to the west of the elven city-states. (291)
196 Dwarven clan leaders decide to set up a traditional monarchy, but lack a royal family. A council of military, clerical, and social leaders is formed. (291)
206 After a decade of deliberations, the dwarven council elects clan leader Smoni as king, allowing the losing clan leaders to form noble houses. The Blessed Kingdom of Mordengard is born. (291)
499 Abyssal gateway in Xanos opens, freeing demons once again. Attack is contained, but Grand Council of elves convenes and orders an investigation. (285)
505 Elvish wizards report that the presence of sorcerers among elvenkind was the cause of the Xanos gate opening. Grand Council exerts more power, and outlaws sorcery. (285)
510 For the last five years, mage hunters have targeted sorcerers among the elves, forcing them to either renounce their ways or be exiled. (285)
513 The mage-hunter Trigorian is elected to the Grand Council. He urges the Council on to even greater persecution and spurs the nation to war. (285)
515 War breaks out as sorcerers are hunted and hounded among nearby nations. (285)
525 Elvish city-states permanently unified as the Empire of Ravilla. Grand Council members become Oligarchs. (285)
531 Three human tribes, led by Almira of the Strongbow, reaches the coast of western Oerik and set out for the island of Thalos. (287)
535 Sorcerer purge has run its course, leaving the elves in control of most of western Oerik. (285)
Humans have by now gained control of Thalos from the kobolds, but the war continues. (287)
541 The war with the kobolds has ended, with their survivors having fled underground. The Scouring of Thalos is complete, and Almira is crowned queen. (287)
550 Island nation of Thalos is assaulted, but Queen Almira’s inspirational leadership turns the elvish forces aside at the Battle of the Bloody Tide. (285)
552-698 Elven Peace instituted. (285)
575 Queen Almira dies, and is succeeded by her daughter. (287)
602 Kobolds assault Thalos, having recovered underground over the last 60 years. (287)
759 Dwarfish expedition exploring the mountains east of Ravilla encounter the god Stratis, who leads them to a hidden elvish city. Alarmed, the gray elves slay all but one of the dwarf scouts. The War of Spite begins. (291)
780 War of Spite ends in a draw, as both Mordengard and Ravilla cannot continue to field forces. (291)
852 Oligarchs of Ravilla create a human ruled puppet state- Govis- in order to free resources and reduce their borders. (293)
944 Queen Almira XIX orders the invasion of Govis, which is led by Godfrey, paladin of Stratis. (293)
950-1005 Period of constant skirmishes between all the nations of the Sundered Empire. (293)
1008 Drazen’s Horde sweeps into the Sundered Empire. (292)
1000s (present day?) Thalos has become a mighty nation, and is ruled by Queen Almira XXI. (287)
300 years ago Nomad warlord Ahmut terrorizes Ravilla. (285)
Just over 100 years ago Dwarves of Mordengard topple their despotic leader and establish a worker’s state. (285)
5 years ago Adventurers slay Stratis, plunging the Sundered Empire into warfare. (285)

(I presume that the current date of the SE is equivalent to whatever it was in Oerik at the time Chainmail came out. I think CY then was the same as Living Greyhawk, but I don't recall offhand, so one could theoretically date these events according to CY as a result, although I'd imagine SE had their own calendar.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Chainmail] Sundered Empire: A Timeline

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:46 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Compiled from several articles on the Chainmail! game in Dragon Magazine, here's the rough timeline of the Sundered Empire region of Oerth:
EDIT: Very interesting stuff. You should submit this to Canonfire.

Do you have the actual sources for each of these facts (so that each one could be citated to the source it came from)? If you do (and there is no fanon in this) then I think you should consider wikifiying this for Greyhawk Wiki.

Greyhawk Wiki needs people to compile and upload this exact sort of thing. (As long as they stick to the guidelines and citate things so that fans can read up on the original material.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:38 am

Big Mac wrote:Do you have the actual sources for each of these facts (so that each one could be citated to the source it came from)? If you do (and there is no fanon in this) then I think you should consider wikifiying this for Greyhawk Wiki.
Not a bad idea, hadn't even thought about it. It is all direct from the sources (and I believe I was missing one of the Dragon issues, so haven't sourced that).

I also need to go and put the CY dates in there, too, just to piece it together with Oerth history better. Never got around to it (did most of this work about 8 months ago, and didn't complete it).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:15 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Do you have the actual sources for each of these facts (so that each one could be citated to the source it came from)? If you do (and there is no fanon in this) then I think you should consider wikifiying this for Greyhawk Wiki.
Not a bad idea, hadn't even thought about it. It is all direct from the sources (and I believe I was missing one of the Dragon issues, so haven't sourced that).

I also need to go and put the CY dates in there, too, just to piece it together with Oerth history better. Never got around to it (did most of this work about 8 months ago, and didn't complete it).
Well, if you could get this written up for Greyhawk Wiki (at some point), it would really help anyone who wants to find out this sort of stuff.

I think that at the moment a lot of fans creating new stuff have duplicated research done by other fans, so these canon wikis should help fans cut down research time and help people spend a higher percentage of time creating new fan content.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Chainmail”