List of Chainmail books

“You think your people will be free? You think you have escaped me? You mortals will have nothing but war, not a moment of peace until a new God of War rises to replace me.” Discuss the Sundered Empire featured in the Chainmail campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

List of Chainmail books

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:52 am

I just found (and bought) two Chainmail books. (Hopefully they have some useful stuff in them.)

Does anyone have a full list of Chainmail books? (Can anyone tell me how much setting stuff is in each book?)

Are there any books that come with boxed sets of miniatures? Are they worth getting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Icarus
Ogre

Re: List of Chainmail books

Post by Icarus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:12 pm

Big Mac wrote:... Does anyone have a full list of Chainmail books? (Can anyone tell me how much setting stuff is in each book?)
Are there any books that come with boxed sets of miniatures? Are they worth getting?
I have a list that I'm fairly sure that is complete. But, it's what I use, and for the most part, what I have. As follows:
  • 88339 Starter Set: Rulebook & Model Description Booklet
  • 88000 Chainmail Miniatures Core Rulebook
  • 88010 Blood and Darkness
  • 88580 Fire and Ice
  • 88960 Shadow of the Drow
  • 17861 The Ghostwind Campaign
  • 17620 Dragons' Flight (cancelled)
Also, there's the Dragon Magazine Articles by Chris Pramas that are entirely (or at least 95%) setting material.
In the table below, the bolded lines are articles that were about particular factions, while the others are about places or items, prestige classes, what have you.
  • The Empire of Ravilla - Grey and Wood elves - #285 , p92
  • Ahmut’s Legion - Undead - #286, p88
  • The Armies of Thalos - human, gnomes - #287, p88
  • The Gnolls of Naresh - Gnolls (and demons) - #289, p110
  • People’s State of Mordengard - Dwur - #291, p100
  • Drazen’s Horde - Orcs, goblins, ogres, hobgoblins - #292, p102
  • The Free States - Varies - #293. p100
  • Underground Scenarios - * - #294, p98
  • The Children of Nassica - * - #295, p98
  • The Ebon Glaive - * - #296, p100
  • Exiles from the Vault - Drow - #298, p98
  • Soldiers of the Last Order - Hobgoblin - #315, p102
In another thread on a similar topic, I wrote a post on this, and I will summarize it here:

... [the above are] certainly all of the essentials.

That being said, I will put my two cents out there. Unfortunately, all of the books I've mentioned are made for a miniatures game - that's the nature of the beast. As far as the faction set boxes, there were miniatures in every one of those. The guidebooks I listed are part of the expansion sets, but are sold separately from them. Unfortunately, the crunch to fluff ratio is about 10:1. There's not going to be a lot of setting material or anything that couldn't be summarized in just a few pages when taken collectively. It's interesting that in some of the books where there were expansions and whatnot, or where the miniatures themselves are introduced, there is often a blurb with fluff about the model themselves. For example, you've heard me refer to some of the little fluff blurbs; like, there's a neat little bit in Fire and Ice, Chapter 5: Warriors of the Sundered Empire, p15 that discusses one of the Ahmut's Legion undead miniatures:
The equicephs were one of the Old Races that used to dominate Western Oerik. Large, horse-headed humanoids, they were a peaceful people. Rampaging Abyssal armies wiped them out during the Demon War, and no living equiceph has been seen since. Clerics of Nerull, always fond of plundering battlefields, found the remains of a tribe of equicephs. Now the Skeletal Equiceph walks the world again, brought back to unlife by forbidden magic and denied peace even in death.
The "Starter Set" contains both the original Rulebook (neither the later PDFs "Core Rulebook" nor "Comprehensive Rules") and the Model Description booklet, so there's good stuff there as well. The largest majority of the setting material came from the Dragon magazine articles that were running concurrently with the published game products.

If you're interested in a strictly academic discussion of the material, I own all of the material above that we've discussed, and would be happy to go over the purely RP material here (I'm not up on all of the miniatures mechanics anymore)... just "Fair Use" discussion of the setting material provided. I don't want to get into tiptoeing around IP with images of the material and such, for the most part.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: List of Chainmail books

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:42 am

Icarus wrote:
Big Mac wrote:... Does anyone have a full list of Chainmail books? (Can anyone tell me how much setting stuff is in each book?)
I have a list that I'm fairly sure that is complete. But, it's what I use, and for the most part, what I have. As follows:
  • 88339 Starter Set: Rulebook & Model Description Booklet
  • 88000 Chainmail Miniatures Core Rulebook
  • 88010 Blood and Darkness
  • 88580 Fire and Ice
  • 88960 Shadow of the Drow
  • 17861 The Ghostwind Campaign
  • 17620 Dragons' Flight (cancelled)
Thanks for this list. :cool:

I've now ordered three of these, and have put the Starter Set on my Chainmail wishlist.
Icarus wrote:Also, there's the Dragon Magazine Articles by Chris Pramas that are entirely (or at least 95%) setting material.
In the table below, the bolded lines are articles that were about particular factions, while the others are about places or items, prestige classes, what have you.
  • The Empire of Ravilla - Grey and Wood elves - #285 , p92
  • Ahmut’s Legion - Undead - #286, p88
  • The Armies of Thalos - human, gnomes - #287, p88
  • The Gnolls of Naresh - Gnolls (and demons) - #289, p110
  • People’s State of Mordengard - Dwur - #291, p100
  • Drazen’s Horde - Orcs, goblins, ogres, hobgoblins - #292, p102
  • The Free States - Varies - #293. p100
  • Underground Scenarios - * - #294, p98
  • The Children of Nassica - * - #295, p98
  • The Ebon Glaive - * - #296, p100
  • Exiles from the Vault - Drow - #298, p98
  • Soldiers of the Last Order - Hobgoblin - #315, p102
In another thread on a similar topic, I wrote a post on this, and I will summarize it here:

... [the above are] certainly all of the essentials.
Thanks.

I've seen these mentioned before (and I've started a topic about a couple of them*) but it's good to have them listed here.

* = I should probably start topics for all these factions, if someone else doesn't beat me to it, at some point.
Icarus wrote:That being said, I will put my two cents out there. Unfortunately, all of the books I've mentioned are made for a miniatures game - that's the nature of the beast. As far as the faction set boxes, there were miniatures in every one of those. The guidebooks I listed are part of the expansion sets, but are sold separately from them. Unfortunately, the crunch to fluff ratio is about 10:1. There's not going to be a lot of setting material or anything that couldn't be summarized in just a few pages when taken collectively. It's interesting that in some of the books where there were expansions and whatnot, or where the miniatures themselves are introduced, there is often a blurb with fluff about the model themselves. For example, you've heard me refer to some of the little fluff blurbs; like, there's a neat little bit in Fire and Ice, Chapter 5: Warriors of the Sundered Empire, p15 that discusses one of the Ahmut's Legion undead miniatures:
The equicephs were one of the Old Races that used to dominate Western Oerik. Large, horse-headed humanoids, they were a peaceful people. Rampaging Abyssal armies wiped them out during the Demon War, and no living equiceph has been seen since. Clerics of Nerull, always fond of plundering battlefields, found the remains of a tribe of equicephs. Now the Skeletal Equiceph walks the world again, brought back to unlife by forbidden magic and denied peace even in death.
The "Starter Set" contains both the original Rulebook (neither the later PDFs "Core Rulebook" nor "Comprehensive Rules") and the Model Description booklet, so there's good stuff there as well. The largest majority of the setting material came from the Dragon magazine articles that were running concurrently with the published game products.

If you're interested in a strictly academic discussion of the material, I own all of the material above that we've discussed, and would be happy to go over the purely RP material here (I'm not up on all of the miniatures mechanics anymore)... just "Fair Use" discussion of the setting material provided. I don't want to get into tiptoeing around IP with images of the material and such, for the most part.
An academic discussion of the crunch-to-fluff ratio of some of these books, could be helpful to me.

I do realise that the ratio is fairly poor (compared to conventional tabletop gaming products) but I have looked at a few of the rules that I have seen, to try to find "fluffy crunch" (rules that imply things about the setting). For example, a few years back, I asked about Hissing Pools after reading the rules about them. That stuff is all crunchy, but it made me think that the fact that they even exist in the first place (when they don't see to exist in any other campaign setting) tells us something about the Chainmail world. There have to be other rules, that are unique to Chainmail, that might tell us something about the land, the nature of Stratus's curse or something else that is relevant.

One thing that would help me is to know what's in the book that comes with the Starter Set. I've not seen that on it's own, so it looks like I would have to hunt down the entire set to get the book. WotC have put the rules up as a free download. Is this something else or the same thing?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Chainmail”