Converting Chainmail Warbands to NPC groups

“You think your people will be free? You think you have escaped me? You mortals will have nothing but war, not a moment of peace until a new God of War rises to replace me.” Discuss the Sundered Empire featured in the Chainmail campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Converting Chainmail Warbands to NPC groups

Postby Big Mac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Recently, I was wondering if we could infer some tabletop gaming content from the Chainmail guidebooks. One of the things I noticed was that Blood & Darkness: Set 2 Guidebook had some named warbands.

I thought it might be useful to make a full list of warbands and then go through them to see how easy it is to convert them from Chainmail stats to D&D stats. The first step is to make a full list:
STARTER SET: RULEBOOK & MODEL DESCRIPTION BOOKLET:
  • I don't have access to this information yet.

CHAINMAIL MINIATURES CORE RULEBOOK:
  • There are no example warbands in Chapter 3: Warbands.

BLOOD & DARKNESS: SET 2 GUIDEBOOK:
  • Ahmut's Legion: Death's Axes - Commander: 1 Human Death Cleric, Troops: 1 Crazed Minotaur Cultist, 1 Skeletal Orc, 5 Skeletal Dwarf Soldiers, Terrain: 4 High walls
  • Drazen's Horde: Walk Softly, Hit Big - Commander: 1 Hobgoblin Fighter, Troops: 1 Ogre Delver, 3 Bugbear Troops, Terrain: 4 High walls, Tactical Advantage: +1
  • Mordengard: Stone and Shock - Commander: 1 Dwarf Cleric, Troops: 2 Stonechildren, 4 Dwarf Shock Troopers, Terrain: 1 High wall, 1 Hissing pool, 1 Low wall
  • Naresh: Dark Devotions - Commanders: 1 Tiefling Fighter, 1 Demonic Gnoll Adept, Troops: 1 Gnoll Warrior, 2 Grimlock Trooper (cross-faction), 1 Hyena, Terrain: 4 Hissing pools, Tactical Advantage + 1
  • Ravilla: Many Cuts - Commander: 1 Gray Elf Wizard, Troops: 1 Horned Felldrake, 2 Spitting Felldrake, 1 Gray Elf Snakestrike Duelist, Terrain: 2 High walls, 2 Hissing pools
  • Thalos: Sound and Light - Commanders: 1 Aasimar Cleric, 1 Dwarf Ranger (cross-faction), Troops: 1 Pulverizer, 1 Gnome Infiltrator, 1 Human Glaiver, Terrain: 2 Hissing pools, 2 Sacred circles, Tactical Advantage: +2

FIRE & ICE: SET 3 GUIDEBOOK:
  • Ahmut's Legion: Tall Shadows - Commander: 1 Human Shadow Priest, Troops: 1 Skeletal Equiceph, 1 Gallowsgaunt, Terrain: 2 Dragons skulls, Tactical Advantage: +1
  • Drazen's Horde: Tusk 'N' Burn - Commander: 1 Hobgoblin Adept, Troops: 1 Dire Boar, 1 Orc Champion, 1 Azr Trooper (cross-faction), Terrain: 2 Dragon skulls, Tactical Advantage: +1
  • Mordengard: Deliberate Glacier - Commander: 1 Dwarf Hammer Priest, Troops: 1 Ice Paraelemental, 1 Dwarf Zealot, Terrain: 2 Dragon skull
  • Naresh: All Lethalities - Commanders: 1 Gnoll Cleric, Troops: 2 Demonic Gnoll Archer, 1 Abyssal Maw, Terrain: 2 Quagmier
  • Ravilla: Cold and Quick - Commander: None, Troops: 1 Half-Dragon Mage, 2 Wood Elf Skirmisher, Reserve: 1 Crested Felldrake, Terrain: 2 High walls, 1 Row of trees, 1 Quagmire, Tactical Advantage: +1
  • Thalos: Harmonious Blades - Commanders: 1 Human Paladin of Stratis, Troops: 1 Human Templar, 1 Ogre Penitent, 1 Gnome Infiltrator, 1 Human Warrior, Terrain: 1 Hill, 1 Dragon claw

SHADOW OF THE DROW: SET 4 GUIDEBOOK:
  • I don't have access to this information yet.

THE GHOSTWALK CAMPAIGN:
  • There are no example warbands in Chapter 3: Running the Ghostwind Campaign.

I'm going to start off each conversion with a post of the stats that need to be fed into the Chainmail Warband Generator. :)
Last edited by Big Mac on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Ahmut's Legion: Death's Axes

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:25 am

I thought I would start off with Death's Axes, from Ahmut's Legion.

AHMUT'S LEGION: DEATH'S AXES:
Here are the originall Chainmail stats, from Blood & Darkness: Set 2 Guidebook: Chapter 6, page 19.

Chainmail Warband Generator:

Blurb:
Blood & Darkness: Set 2 Guidebook: Chapter 6, page 19 wrote:Underground warfare is perfect for the undead, whose best tactics are usually closing with the enemy and beating them to death. Unfortunately for Ahmut's warbands, the other faction that loves fighting underground is Mordengard, with it's pesky Dwarven Clerics and their ability to turn undead.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Converting Chainmail Warbands to NPC groups

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:27 am

Big Mac wrote:Recently, I was wondering if we could infer some tabletop gaming content from the Chainmail guidebooks. One of the things I noticed was that Blood & Darkness: Set 2 Guidebook had some named warbands.

I thought it might be useful to make a full list of warbands and then go through them to see how easy it is to convert them from Chainmail stats to D&D stats.

I assume you're looking for D&D 3.5 stats?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Converting Chainmail Warbands to NPC groups

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:27 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Recently, I was wondering if we could infer some tabletop gaming content from the Chainmail guidebooks. One of the things I noticed was that Blood & Darkness: Set 2 Guidebook had some named warbands.

I thought it might be useful to make a full list of warbands and then go through them to see how easy it is to convert them from Chainmail stats to D&D stats.

I assume you're looking for D&D 3.5 stats?

I think that Chainmail came out during the 3.0 Era, but 3.5 stats would be OK.

My logic (which I don't expect everyone else to follow) for this, is that Chainmail fits in with the Greyhawk-lite aspect of the 3.0 core rulebooks, as well as fitting in with Living Greyhawk. So I would want to look to the core-3e rules to attempt to create baseline Chainmail D&D stats (and then look to Living Greyhawk documents for anything I can't find in the core products). I'm not a big fan of the "balance" word (as it tends to come up a lot in min-max conversations) but I would want the Sundered Empire to be using the same rules as the Flanaess, so that PCs could be transferred between the two regions*.

* = Any compatability with 3rd Edition Greyspace conversions will be purely coincidental. :halo:

However, I wouldn't mind someone coming along afterwards (or at the same time) and converting stuff to another edition). I don't know other rules so well, but I'd be happy to comment on any "Converting Chainmail to <insert rules system name here>" topics. (And I think it would be especially good to see Chainmail retro-converted to AD&D 2nd and 1st Edition, so that Greyhawk fans who use the older rules can use this stuff.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Chainmail