[Chainmail] WotC articles on Chainmail

“You think your people will be free? You think you have escaped me? You mortals will have nothing but war, not a moment of peace until a new God of War rises to replace me.” Discuss the Sundered Empire featured in the Chainmail campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

[Chainmail] WotC articles on Chainmail

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 am

Back in 2009, in the Ishtarland thread, Cthulhudrew mentioned that there used to be articles about the Chainmail sub-setting over on the Wizards of the Coast website (and that the Wayback Machine may have copies):

Cthulhudrew wrote:The only real setting info on the Sundered Empire, IIRC, is in a series of Dragon Magazine articles written to supplement the Chainmail rules. As far as I'm aware, the Underdark set turned into vaporware since WotC cancelled the line (I wouldn't be surprised if some of the minis for that ended up in later sets- plastic, instead of metal of course, which was the trend shift for the new minis game).

The Wayback Machine probably has those old WotC Chainmail articles, although I seem to recall finding them on the Wizards site as well (had to do some real digging, though, as the main links don't work any longer.)

Does anyone know of anywhere that has some dead links to these articles that I can use to find archived copies on the Wayback Machine? I would really like to locate the articles, before any websites that link to them vanish offline.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Chainmail] WotC articles on Chainmail

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:13 am

I've found some myself. The Battle Sheets! downloads are great for getting stats for each of the mini (and may also have some use for people using earlier editions of D&D) and the Model Tactics articles (while mostly aimed at the Chainmail rules) let you know what faction every mini belongs to (something missing from the Battle Sheets! downloads).

CHAINMAIL:

CHAINMAIL - MODEL TACTICS:
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:29 am

Wow, thanks for the finds BM! Bloody fantastic!
Social Media Links

Malathéa
DevinatArt / Facebook / Google / The Piazza / Twitter / YouTube
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Great find, BM! I knew those still existed somewhere, but hadn't been able to find them through the slog of the new 4E oriented WotC site. I'm going to have to scour these to see if there is anything good in them (offhand, I notice the drow leaders have some backstory that could be incorporated and used to flesh out the timeline).

Awesome! :D
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:50 am

I've added some more links to the top post.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Cebrion » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Very nice list. :cool:
Cebrion
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:21 pm

I just found a direct link to the Chainmail Comprehensive Rules download on the WotC website.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tumakhunter » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:31 am

Loving that you are looking at resurrecting this setting, in any fashion.
Tumakhunter
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:04 pm

Tumakhunter wrote:Loving that you are looking at resurrecting this setting, in any fashion.

Thanks Tumakhunter.

Don't forget that you have just over a day to "vote for Chainmail to get it's own bespoke forum at The Piazza". As the voting stands now, 12 Chainmail fans would be needed to swing the vote Chainmail's way.

Last bumped by Big Mac on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:04 pm.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Chainmail