[OD&D][Holmes] Games Workshop D&D

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[OD&D][Holmes] Games Workshop D&D

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Has anyone ever seen the version of Dungeons & Dragons printed by Games Workshop in the UK?

I know it has a different cover picture from the US version of Holmes Dungeons & Dragons. Are there any other differences or is it the same typesetting with the cover swapped over?

RPG Geek says this is the "second printing of the UK version". Does anyone know what the cover for the "first printing" is like?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ExTSR
Troll

Re: [OD&D][Holmes] Games Workshop D&D

Post by ExTSR » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks Frank. You know this collector's stuff well. I've seen you giving people advice about all sorts of obscure items I never saw before.
acaeum.com wrote:Also note that only the Basic Rulebook was released with this print, not the set.
I wonder what that means. Was the US version of Holmes a boxed set that came with something else? Why would Games Workshop leave out the other part of the product? Did they sell it separately?

Wow! They have 18 Editions of the US OD&D set listed there. No wonder I was confused about that era of D&D. :shock:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:45 pm

Big Mac wrote:I wonder what that means. Was the US version of Holmes a boxed set that came with something else? Why would Games Workshop leave out the other part of the product? Did they sell it separately?
TSR's Holmes was a boxed set (rulebook, dice, advertising).
In the UK you had to get the dice elsewhere, and use your own box if you wish.
That's all. :)

F

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:05 pm

ExTSR wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder what that means. Was the US version of Holmes a boxed set that came with something else? Why would Games Workshop leave out the other part of the product? Did they sell it separately?
TSR's Holmes was a boxed set (rulebook, dice, advertising).
In the UK you had to get the dice elsewhere, and use your own box if you wish.
That's all. :)
Thanks Frank. I guess that just making it a book makes it easier to distribute.

I wonder why Games Workshop decided to drop some of the TSR art.

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:29 pm

Big Mac wrote:I wonder why Games Workshop decided to drop some of the TSR art.
Sign of the times.
Nowadays it's all digital; lots harder back then.
They'd have to find the original art or layouts, run PMTs (photomechanical transfer, camera work and high-rest B+W prints), and mail them to Britian.
Far easier in many cases to just generate new art.

F

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks Frank. You are right there. The world is a much different place now. I bought a full colour Print-on-Demand book from Kobold Press (via DriveThru PRG in the USA). It was printed in the UK by Lightning Source and delivered to me without going through Kobold Press. It has a silght "wibble" but the quality was really good.

I know that, even as recent as the 3e Era, some US RPG companies were importing books from cheap printing places overseas (and I think that meant that books coming here were being shipped overseas twice).

These days WotC could easily decide to sell new copies of Holmes D&D via Print on Demand (if they wanted to - and had the legal rights to do it). It would not be as "collectable" as the old stuff, like this Games Workshop version, but I would rather see books get used than sit in shrink-wrap.

Return to “Original D&D”