[OD&D] [Holmes] The BLUEHOLME™ Project

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[OD&D] [Holmes] The BLUEHOLME™ Project

Postby Vile » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:09 am

Just thought I'd ask here in case there is anyone who hasn't seen my thread on DF - I'm about to release a Holmes Basic clone PDF, and I'm looking for feedback (actual playtests would be great!) on the draft text here: http://dreamscapedesign.net/downloads/

I'm also looking for an introductory dungeon I can adapt (also to be released as a free PDF), so if you have anything you think might work please drop me a line. Doesn't matter how raw it is, as I'll be doing the layout and maps anyway - unless you already have really nice maps, as I know lots of you do! ;)
Last edited by Vile on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vile
Bugbear

Re: [Holmes] Blueholme: a Simulacrum

Postby Bouv » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 pm

I'll definately check it out
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby Vile » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks! I intend to put it out before Christmas, so let me know what you think. :)
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Vile » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:37 am

In case you haven't heard already, the Blueholme Prentice Rules are available now, free of charge! :mrgreen:

http://dreamscapedesign.net/2013/01/10/ ... s-go-live/
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Vile » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 am

Hi ladies and chaps! There is now no excuse not to run a BLUEHOLME game. The Maze of Nuromen introductory adventure is available free of charge on DTRPG (and RPGNow, of course):

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php ... rs_id=3982
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Downloaded!
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:55 am

Thanks for the 411!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Vile » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 am

Well, now, reception seems to be pretty up-beat about Blueholme. Check out this post for some links to blogs reviews:

http://dreamscapedesign.net/2013/01/27/ ... e-reviews/

And if any of you are running or playing it, please let me know the result - even if you hate it! ;)
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Bouv » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Just finished reading over BlueHolme this weekend and I enjoyed it. Nice presenation, easy to understand. One thing I did notice is under the Dexerity wizard spell, the chart says "Strength"

I also read over your adventure. I liked it except some of the magic items seemed a tab much for a low-level party - I think there were 3 different items that could raise ability scores permentaly and that just seems a like a lot (if the PC's find them all!).
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby Vile » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 am

Hi Bouv, I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for spotting that spell errata, that'll be a left-over from the conversion - Holmes has a 'Strength' spell but I changed it to 'Dexterity' in Blueholme because Strength has no effect in combat. There will be a 'second printing' soonish, which will also be available in PoD once errata stops coming in.

The random availability of magic items is a Holmesian thing, especially as each item has an equal chance of occurring in a hoard. It does make for interesting times, but it's an intentional feature.
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 am

The images are exeptionally good...;-)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Vile » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Matching the public domain art to the text was one of the most fun parts. I'm almost sorry to be commissioning art for the Compleat Rules ... well, I would be, if it wasn't going to be fantastic. Pardon the pun.
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Vile wrote:Matching the public domain art to the text was one of the most fun parts.

...and you did it really well!
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Vile » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:59 am

Thanks, Yaztromo. My favourite is in the experience section, where it discusses not allowing full XP for characters who hide behind their hirelings - the picture of the fighting man cowering behind a rather more courageous girl is a classic.
Vile
Bugbear

Re: [Holmes] The BLUEHOLME Project

Postby Vile » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:51 am

I've posted a more comprehensive update of where I am and where I'm going with the BLUEHOLME™ Compleat Rules on the Dreamscape Design website:

http://dreamscapedesign.net/2013/03/30/ ... ete-rules/

Vile
Bugbear

Re: [Holmes] The BLUEHOLME™ Project

Postby Vile » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:22 pm

As I've mentioned elsewhere, BLUEHOLME™ Compleat Rules will feature new, original artwork. I haven't yet decided on funding options for the interior art, which will be black & white line art both to keep printing costs down and to maintain the old-school feel appropriate to the OSR and the public domain art used in the free BLUEHOLME™ Prentice products.

The cover of BLUEHOLME™ Compleat, however, is done and in glorious full colour, by the inestimable Jean-Francois Beaulieu or johnnybleu as he's known on the Dragonsfoot and Goblinoid Games forums.

Vile
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 pm

Wow, the cover looks great man! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

What a great job!
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby rremedio » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Nice work with the Prentice Rules! I wish I could test them soon, but I'll have to wait for a while before that. But the book is really well written. Congratulations!
rremedio
Orc

Postby Vile » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 am

Do let me know how your actual play goes, and if you find any problems with the Prentice Rules. I plan to release the revised "2nd Printing" at the same time as the Compleat Rules, and hopefully make Prentice available on print-on-demand shortly after that. I wouldn't want people to pay up for a hard copy until I'm reasonably sure there is no more errata to be caught.
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed May 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Vile! I've just found out about BlueHolme, and downloaded the Prentice rules and the Maze of Nuromen. I checked out the link in your sig to see if there is any progress on the Compleat rules, alas - nothing yet. ;)

JohnnyBlue is a great choice for the cover artist. I really dig his work, having lifted a few of his pieces for my own use. I also applaud your choice to use only black & white interior art, as color art inside turns me off a product quickly. Not only is printing out PDFs more costly this way, I also think color art, no matter how good it is distracts from the meat & potatoes of the text. It was always hard to enjoy my meal at the table when the boquet of flowers constantly hung over every plate! ;)

I've been putting together a set of rules to supplement my oe/Holmes D&D set for several months now, and I think I've got all I need to run my own D&D campaign, including a lot of variant races & classes. I am very interested to see how you handle the Holmes rules and all the options that 0e D&D is famous for allowing in individual campaigns.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Vile wrote:The cover of BLUEHOLME™ Compleat, however, is done and in glorious full colour, by the inestimable Jean-Francois Beaulieu or johnnybleu as he's known on the Dragonsfoot and Goblinoid Games forums.

<image withheld>

I gotta admit, that cover looks pretty darn slick! Loving it, can't wait for Compleat to go PoD!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Vile » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Work on the Compleat Rules is progressing slowly, but it is progressing! Unfortunately I've taken up a role in my professional institute in RL, which has taken a big bite out of my free time. Nevertheless, I endeavour to persevere!

Compleat will go PoD one year after it goes PDF, to make sure as much errata as possible is caught.
Vile
Bugbear

Postby Vile » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:31 am

Time for another little BLUEHOLME™ Compleat Rules sneak peek – this time, an in-progress shot of the sample dungeon map. Of course, in the spirit of BLUEHOLME™, those of you with a long history in the game may spot some homages in there.

Vile
Bugbear

Postby Vile » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 am

I've been working my way through the final chapter of the Compleat Rules, basically dealing with campaign design (Underworld, Wilderness and the Realm) as well as some miscellaneous referee advice. The original plan was to include samples of each of the three main elements - a maze (a.k.a. a dungeon), a regional map, and a base town. Unfortunately it looks like this will take the book beyond what I consider the "sweet spot" of around 100 pages. Not an issue while both are PDF, but when the Compleat Rules eventually become available in hardcopy, excessive page count becomes a problem. There is a solution.

While the rules and explanation will still form the core of the final chapter, the step-by-step examples will be extracted to form a (free) separate, stand-alone PDF. The logic being that, while this serves as an in-depth example as well as introductory setting and scenario, it is not something that will be referred to again and again at the table. I personally have never liked introductory adventures in the core book for that reason. The artwork for this "tutorial" module will still form part of the Indiegogo, with possibly stretch goals for a colour poster map and the like. Basically, the rulebook and the module will still be treated as one thing as far as production goes, but the final product will be in the form of two separate PDFs.

You can read about it here: http://dreamscapedesign.net/2013/10/20/the-sample-campaign/
Vile
Bugbear

Next

Return to Original D&D