[OD&D] What Supplements?

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[OD&D] What Supplements?

Postby Havard » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:05 pm

To those of you who said you play or have played OD&D in the other thread, do you use the core rules only or some of the supplements or other additional material (Strategic review etc)? If so, what do you use?

Supp 1: Greyhawk
Supp 2: Blackmoor
Supp 3: Eldritch Wizardry
Supp 4: Gods, Demi-Gods, & Heroes
Supp 5: Swords & Spells

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [OD&D] What Supplements?

Postby JMiskimen » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:43 pm

I use whatever works for me - I use Dungeoneer, White Dwarf, Strategic Review, Dragon Magazine, Both Supplements and whatever fits. I'm not as much of a purist as a bunch of OD&Ders are - Let no good idea go to waste, I say. :mrgreen:
JMiskimen
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:31 pm

How easy is it to play OD&D in the "purist" way?

Did the game work with the first book that came out, or did people have to wing it (or wait to advance above a certain level) until the second book was published?

Do the books work in groups? Are some of the books considered core rules (like the PHB, DMG, MM model of AD&D and later editions)?

Is the Blackmoor book less useful if you like the Greyhawk campaign setting (and vice versa)?

Do people use third party products with OD&D because there was not "enough" core rules, or are the extra things that people use stuff like campaign settings (or at least campaign sourcebooks - like something that allows you to run games in an underground campaign)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby JMiskimen » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:08 pm

It's actually easier to play using just the core three books ... less to keep track of. The three core books are Men and Magic - Monsters and Treasure - and The Underworld and Wilderness Adventures - They came in the original box set.

They two official supplements - Greyhawk and Blackmoor are sorta like House rules - some of which made their way into AD&D after a fashion. I just cherry pick what feels right for my game.

A few of my players come from a strong AD&D and later day edition background and they seem to dig druids - rangers - bards - monks and the like - so I make it available - I still make them roll d6 damage for all weapons and HD. :twisted:
JMiskimen
Goblin

Postby BlackBat242 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:04 am

Exactly - books 1-3 were released at the same time, and originally only sold together in a set.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Falconer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:42 am

I have run core-only games before. I dig it. The only thing I really needed was the XP awarding rules from Greyhawk.

The supplements are super-inspirational, though. And the Judges Guild stuff is fun. So in the long term I wouldn’t cut anything off. The Blackmoor Supplement is mostly lame, but FFC is awesome.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:52 pm

I use a lot from Greyhawk, including the Thief (can't imagine D&D without it!), variable damage, and the new classes & races; a bit from Blackmoor, usually whenever it involves sea encounters, and the new classes; mostly the monsters, treasure & psionics from Eldritch Wizardry; JG Ready Ref sheets, & Holmes for new players, and the highly controversial "Single Volume Edition" of 0e, for the clarity of rules presentation. :twisted:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby DizzySaxophone » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I typically just use the core 3 books. I retro-fit the thief from Greyhawk, giving it Magic-User HD and Cleric combat tables. I have no problem taking monsters & treasure from the other supplements either.
DizzySaxophone
Goblin

Postby DMMike » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:35 am

OD&D - Core books, Greyhawk, some of Blackmoor (not hit locations), Eldritch Wizardry (sans psionics for PCs), DG&H, Stretegic Review, JG stuff.

..and Holmes, of course! ;)

Mike
DMMike
Orc

Postby finarvyn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Here's a list of my ten most important OD&D resources in my opinion, ranked mostly in order but not totally. (My order changes somewhat depending upon my mood)
1. Core white box
2. Greyhawk supplement -- thief and paladin, expanded spell list, expanded magic list
3. First Fantasy Campaign -- inspiration, examples of early campaign design
4. Best of the Dragon, V1 -- classic articles from Dragon and SR, inspiration, ranger
5. Ready Ref sheets -- random tables for random reasons
6. Blackmoor supplement -- assassin and monk, example of early module design
7. City-State of the Invincible Overlord -- this is my go-to city for every campaign
8. Chainmail -- mostly the Fantasy Supplement, historical and inspriational
9. Eldritch Wizardry supplement -- druid
10. Gods, Demigods & Heroes supplement -- material on Conan, Elric, etc.

Something like that. As I said, my order may vary occasionally. There are also a few other things that I sometimes use like the Monster & Treasure assortment, World of Greyhawk folio (AD&D), monochrome AD&D modules, AD&D Monster Manual (pre-AD&D) hardback Arduin Trilogy, and the like.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box
finarvyn
Hobgoblin

Postby Vile » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:53 pm

Start with Warlock, then take OD&D, add a dash of Greyhawk, and glance at Swords & Spells when unclear on magical matters.

Holmes! :ugeek:
Vile
Bugbear

Return to Original D&D