[OD&D] OD&D Settings?

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[OD&D] OD&D Settings?

Postby Havard » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:24 pm

TSR OD&D Settings:
  • Blackmoor (Supplement II, The First Fantasy Campaign)
  • Greyhawk (Supplement I)
  • Melniboné: included as pantheons in Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-gods & Heroes (1976)
  • Call of Cthulhu: included as pantheons in Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-gods & Heroes (1976)
  • Conan: included as pantheons in Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-gods & Heroes (1976)

TSR OD&D Variant Settings

3rd Party Publishers
  • The Wilderlands: Bob Bledsaw's Campaign Setting was published byJudges Guild under a lisence from TSR. Dave Arneson originally acted as liason between TSR and JG.
  • Arduin: David A. Hargrave's fictional universe, originally self-published in 1977.

Early Fan Campaigns:

Anything missing from this list?

-Havard

----
D&D Worlds (all editions),OD&D Settings, Classic D&D Settings, AD&D 1st Ed Settings, Savage Worlds Settings, WEG Settings, RuneQuest Settings, BRP Settings, d20 Modern Settings, Pathfinder Settings
Last edited by Havard on Thu May 26, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [OD&D] OD&D Settings?

Postby Vile » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:21 pm

The Outdoor Survival + Random Encounter Tables Setting! :)

http://initiativeone.blogspot.hk/2013/0 ... n-pdf.html
Vile
Bugbear

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:24 pm

Tom Moldvay and Lawrence Schick's Known World setting.
Also, Ed Greenwood was running an early version of the Forgotten Realms in this era.
Separate from this, Jeff Grubb's world of Toril/Toricandra. Here's a pdf describing the pantheon of that world: http://www.afdl.org/grubb/matteroftheology.pdf
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:50 am

Empire of the Petal Throne was a D&D Variant game based on OD&D. I don't have any links to prove it though... :oops:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:01 pm

What about?

Since these were included as pantheons in Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-gods & Heroes (1976), do they count as OD&D Settings?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:55 pm

I think so. Conan's gods were in that book too.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:57 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Separate from this, Jeff Grubb's world of Toril/Toricandra. Here's a pdf describing the pantheon of that world: http://www.afdl.org/grubb/matteroftheology.pdf

Very interesting.

Is there anything else about Toricandra dating back from that era?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Havard wrote:Anything missing from this list?

I found a blog, called Scottenkainenland, that has a post called The Original D&D Campaign Worlds:
Scott Casper wrote:1. Aquaria (Mentzer)
2. Arduin (Hargraves)
3. Baldemar (alternate Middle Earth used in the GenCon IX Dungeons)
4. Barsoom (as part of the Greyhawk campaign; not for Warriors of Mars, which was not a RPG)
5. Blackmoor (Arneson)(Temple of the Frog and the First Fantasy Campaign)
6. Edwyr - (Blacow) (co editor of TWH, author of the fourfold way classification of gamers)
7. Forgotten Realms (Greenwood)
8. Fred's World (Funk)
9. Glorantha (Stafford)(initially more D&D-like?)
10. Gorree - Mark Swanson (co editor of TWH)
11.Greenlands - Don Turnbull (frequent White Dwarf and Dragon contributor)
12. Greyhawk (Gygax)(quasi-published as part of C&C's Great Kingdom uber-setting, as well as referred to and partially described in modules, magazines, and the core D&D rules themselves)
13. Holmes Original Campaign (World of Caladan?) (Holmes)
14. Kalibruhn (Kuntz)
15. Known World (Mentzer & Shick)
16. Lendore Isles (Lakofka)
17. Middle Earth (often imitated, obliquely referenced in the original core rulebooks, and originally used by Bledsaw before Wilderlands)
18. Midkemia (Feist)
19. Minaria (a board game, but with its own campaign setting easily used in D&D)
20. "mythic Earth" (the real world with magic added to it, which many people essentially did and Chivalry & Sorcery officially did)
21. Perilous Lands (Snider)
22. Rythlondar (VanDeGraaf and Scensny)
23. Tekumel (Barker)(not D&D, but its rules are heavily influenced by D&D)
24. Toricandra (Jeff Grubb)
25. Trollworld (St. Andre)(not D&D, but its rules are heavily influenced by D&D)
26. Verbosh (Nevin and Faust)(separate setting published by JG)
27. Warden (Ward)(not D&D, but it had cross-overs with D&D characters)
28. Wilderlands (Bledsaw)(all Judges Guild products)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby BlackBat242 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:34 am

OK, it took a bit of Googling to learn that TWH referred to The Wild Hunt, a fanzine started in 1978.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:47 am

Big Mac wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:Separate from this, Jeff Grubb's world of Toril/Toricandra. Here's a pdf describing the pantheon of that world: http://www.afdl.org/grubb/matteroftheology.pdf

Very interesting.

I can't find much. Jeff Grubb mentioned it briefly on his blog in his 'U for Underdark,' article, saying the name Underdark was coined when Douglas Niles reversed the words in Darkunder, the name of the evil pantheon in the Toricandra campaign.

Nice find with Scottenkainen's list, by the way. It wasn't until I read the thread that came from that I realized Raymond Feist's world of Kelewan was inspired by Tekumel. It seems obvious in hindsight, but I read Feist's Riftwar saga when I was ten years old, long before I had heard of Empire of the Petal Throne. The way Kelewan and Midkemia interact in that series might be a good model for how Tekumel might interact with standard D&D worlds.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby D.daniel.wagner » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:51 am

There was also Aurania, of course. But other than the info in the manual of Aurania, nothing was published.

It seems Aurania was the oldest campaign outside Greyhawk and Blackmoor. It seems then that myself and Dale D. are the two most senior surviving DM's.
D.daniel.wagner
Goblin

Postby finarvyn » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Havard wrote:TSR OD&D Settings:
This troubles me a little, as Supplement I really says nothing about Greyhawk. The actual setting was never released, although you can get a peek at it through Gary's "Gord the Rogue" books if my understanding is correct. Or the commercial verison of Greyhawk, which was relased as the Greyhawk Folio.

If all you want is a mention, it first comes to light in the Forward to Men & Magic.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box
finarvyn
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:59 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Very interesting.

I can't find much. Jeff Grubb mentioned it briefly on his blog in his 'U for Underdark,' article, saying the name Underdark was coined when Douglas Niles reversed the words in Darkunder, the name of the evil pantheon in the Toricandra campaign.

Nice find with Scottenkainen's list, by the way. It wasn't until I read the thread that came from that I realized Raymond Feist's world of Kelewan was inspired by Tekumel. It seems obvious in hindsight, but I read Feist's Riftwar saga when I was ten years old, long before I had heard of Empire of the Petal Throne. The way Kelewan and Midkemia interact in that series might be a good model for how Tekumel might interact with standard D&D worlds.

I've made a separate topic to discuss Toricanda.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Anything missing from this list?

I found a blog, called Scottenkainenland, that has a post called The Original D&D Campaign Worlds:

Scottenkeinen runs an excellent blog. Let me go through some of the items on his list.

Scott Casper wrote:1. Aquaria (Mentzer)

We have a forum for that one here: viewforum.php?f=64

2. Arduin (Hargraves)

That is a classic. We need more talk of Arduin here.

3. Baldemar (alternate Middle Earth used in the GenCon IX Dungeons)

wasn't this one published as part of Gary Gygax' New Infinities Series?

4. Barsoom (as part of the Greyhawk campaign; not for Warriors of Mars, which was not a RPG)

We have had some discussion here on whether Warriors of Mars could be considered an RPG setting as well...

5. Blackmoor (Arneson)(Temple of the Frog and the First Fantasy Campaign)

Forum for that here: viewforum.php?f=24

6. Edwyr - (Blacow) (co editor of TWH, author of the fourfold way classification of gamers)

Never heard of this one. Anyone know more about this one?

7. Forgotten Realms (Greenwood)

Forum for that here: viewforum.php?f=18

8. Fred's World (Funk)

Fred Funk was one of Dave Arneson's Players. There is additional information about his campaign world at the Comeback Inn: http://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/vie ... =83&t=1074

9. Glorantha (Stafford)(initially more D&D-like?)

That is interesting. I know there is one halfling in Glorantha as a result of an early D&D campaign in that world...

10. Gorree - Mark Swanson (co editor of TWH)
11.Greenlands - Don Turnbull (frequent White Dwarf and Dragon contributor)

I know nothing about these two. Anyone?

12. Greyhawk (Gygax)(quasi-published as part of C&C's Great Kingdom uber-setting, as well as referred to and partially described in modules, magazines, and the core D&D rules themselves)

Greyhawk forum here: viewforum.php?f=11

13. Holmes Original Campaign (World of Caladan?) (Holmes)

I did not realize Holmes had an entire campaign world?

14. Kalibruhn (Kuntz)

*slaps forehead* I should have included this on my original list.

Code: Select all
15. Known World (Mentzer & Shick)

This should read Moldvay / Schick.

16. Lendore Isles (Lakofka)

Ah yes. Another setting later integrated into Greyhawk.

17. Middle Earth (often imitated, obliquely referenced in the original core rulebooks, and originally used by Bledsaw before Wilderlands)

Hmmm...good point.

18. Midkemia (Feist)

Yes, this one keeps being mentioned. Something I need to read up on.

19. Minaria (a board game, but with its own campaign setting easily used in D&D)

I know we have a thread on this somewhere on the Piazza.

20. "mythic Earth" (the real world with magic added to it, which many people essentially did and Chivalry & Sorcery officially did)

Interesting.

21. Perilous Lands (Snider)

Dave Arneson once said more than 30 people were running "Blackmoor" campaigns at one point. Richard Snider was one of Dave's most creative players (according to Dave) and I guess the Perilous Lands grew out of this one and developed into something even more sophisticated in the Powers & Perils RPG.

22. Rythlondar (VanDeGraaf and Scensny)

Should be a thread about that here somewhere.

23. Tekumel (Barker)(not D&D, but its rules are heavily influenced by D&D)

Indeed!

24. Toricandra (Jeff Grubb)

Edit: See Big Mac's separatate thread on that setting.

25. Trollworld (St. Andre)(not D&D, but its rules are heavily influenced by D&D)

As in Tunnels & Trolls?

26. Verbosh (Nevin and Faust)(separate setting published by JG)

Ah yes. I guess that was a separate world at first and then later integrated into the Wilderlands?

27. Warden (Ward)(not D&D, but it had cross-overs with D&D characters)

This is the Space Ship from Metamorphosis Alpha?

28. Wilderlands (Bledsaw)(all Judges Guild products)

Separate forum for that here: viewforum.php?f=54

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:59 pm

D.daniel.wagner wrote:There was also Aurania, of course. But other than the info in the manual of Aurania, nothing was published.

It seems Aurania was the oldest campaign outside Greyhawk and Blackmoor. It seems then that myself and Dale D. are the two most senior surviving DM's.

It is great having you here on The Piazza D.daniel.wagner! Does this thread pretty much collect what is known about Aurania?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:28 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:OK, it took a bit of Googling to learn that TWH referred to The Wild Hunt, a fanzine started in 1978.

I found a page about The Wild Hunt on Tome of Treasures, but the name is pretty generic, so the search results are flooded.

RPG Geek has a page for The Wild Hunt, but they only have 8 issues on it (so far).

It looks like Peter Maranci was one of the contributors to The Wild Hunt and that he set up Interregnum when it looked like the former magazine was going to cease publication. So if The Wild Hunt covered several campaign settings, they might not all carry over to Interregnum.

I found another page that suggested that The Wild Hunt had content for RuneQuest.

It might be starting another topic about the magazine, to discuss how much OD&D content it had (vs RuneQuest and/or other stuff) and what sort of stuff was in it.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Merctime (Tim) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Vile wrote:The Outdoor Survival + Random Encounter Tables Setting! :)

I'd like to second this. I do think that Mr. Rossi's take on the 'implied setting' for OD&D is quite good, and captures the seat-of-your-pants, no-holds-barred, wild rumpus that may have in fact influenced how early game settings where played back in the dawn of our hobby. It's certainly influenced how I create mine!

These blog posts and the eventual collection into PDF are certainly worth a read even though they aren't a 'complete' setting that's ready to run after downloading. The ideas therein are in my opinion a wonderful help in developing one's own worlds of play.

Of course I understand that, due to the very nature of the above pdf, it may fit more cleanly in the "homebrew worlds" section of these forums... Although it's value as a historical reference analysis may also indirectly have a home here in the OD&D settings thread.

I'll respectfully leave this decision to those with the authority here, and mean no offense or derision towards my good friend Vile (whom I hold in high regard, and also understand completely the reasoning behind his suggesting this document in the context of Havard's original post).

EDIT: Also, it may be of some worth here... It's a rather small one, but a product named "Verbosh" by the Judges Guild might qualify as an "OD&D Setting".

Note that it isn't an entire world, it's more like a small sandbox area, but is definitely playable upon purchase. It's on the 'larger side of small' if that makes sense. A little bit of information on this module/product can be found at the Acaeum, here.

Some discussion can be found here and also you might be interested in reading a play-by-post game here that has been run using this product as it's setting (with the referee of course adding to it liberally) for over 8 years!!
Merctime (Tim)
Goblin

Postby Vile » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Merctime (Tim) wrote:
Vile wrote:The Outdoor Survival + Random Encounter Tables Setting! :)

Of course I understand that, due to the very nature of the above pdf, it may fit more cleanly in the "homebrew worlds" section of these forums... Although it's value as a historical reference analysis may also indirectly have a home here in the OD&D settings thread.

I'll respectfully leave this decision to those with the authority here, and mean no offense or derision towards my good friend Vile (whom I hold in high regard, and also understand completely the reasoning behind his suggesting this document in the context of Havard's original post).

Thank you for the kind words, Tim! Although I think the actual interpretation in Wayne's posts is minimal, he's really just going by the OS map and the encounter tables (as well as the castle encounters) printed in the LBBs. To that extent, at least, I think it's quite a 'pure' interpretation of the wilderness 'setting' from the original books.
Vile
Bugbear

Return to Original D&D