[OD&D] What is the Underworld?

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[OD&D] What is the Underworld?

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:21 am

What is the "Underworld" from the Underworld & Wilderness Adventures book?

Is it some sort of early version of the Underdark or some sort of early version of the Outer Planes?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [OD&D] What is the Underworld?

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:55 am

Big Mac wrote:What is the "Underworld" from the Underworld & Wilderness Adventures book?

Is it some sort of early version of the Underdark or some sort of early version of the Outer Planes?

The Underworld is every dungeon that the DM creates for the game, whether the dungeon is a natural cavern system that leads to the Underdark, or the dungeons under the King's castle. The "Underworld" is a lot like a demi-plane, if I were to explain it in AD&D2e or 3e terms, as there are rules that pertain to Underworld exploration that do not really adhere to Wilderness exploration or the town & city adventures that were to come later.

It has almost the same rules of physics that the normal, or Prime Material Plane has, but monsters have abilities granted by the rules, and characters are affected by some rules too. These abilities are handled by the general rules in The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures book, rather than assign the abilities to monster powers or character abilities.

Some of the unique rules in the Underworld:
No door is locked for monsters, and they always know every secret door, and how to open them, and they automatically avoid traps already in the dungeon. Adventurers must spike doors to keep them from shutting automatically and locking. Monsters and NPCs that are not part of the PC's party have infravision. If the PCs talk a monster/NPC into joining them, they lose infravision. No characters have infravision, not even the demi-humans, but they can have infravision by use of an infravision spell, or some other item.

This is all from memory, and it might be slightly off, and that's all I can remember about how the Underworld is different. :?
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Return to Original D&D