[Holmes] Monsters?

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18473
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

[Holmes] Monsters?

Post by Havard » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:09 pm

What monsters are included in Holmes?

Is there anything you think is surprising about which monsters are included or any that you feel ought to have been in there that are missing?

I am away from home at the moment, so unable to check my own copy. Maybe some of you have all of this info more handily available? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Vile
Bugbear
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 pm
Gender: prefer not to say

Re: [Holmes] Monsters?

Post by Vile » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 am

Holmes has possibly the best "essential" monster compilation of any D&D product. Everything from Carrion Crawlers through Dragons to Giants and Purple Worms (Dragons may be iconic, but Giants and Purple Worms are the real boss monsters of early D&D). The list includes things that couldn't possibly be challenged by 1-3 level characters in direct confrontation, which means players have to be more creative when encountering such powerful beings is not beyond the realm of possibility. Of course, this ties into the XP-for-gold philosophy of trying to steal the treasure without necessarily killing the monster, especially when it's more likely that the monster will kill you.

Here is the complete list of monsters in 3rd edition Holmes:
  1. Bandit
  2. Basilisk
  3. Berserker
  4. Black Pudding
  5. Blink Dog
  6. Bugbear
  7. Carrion Crawler
  8. Chimera
  9. Cockatrice
  10. Displacer Beast
  11. Djinni
  12. Doppelganger
  13. Dragon (White, Black, Red & Brass only)
  14. Dwarf
  15. Elf
  16. Fire Beetle
  17. Gargoyle
  18. Gelatinous Cube
  19. Ghoul
  20. Giant (Hill, Stone, Frost, Fire, Cloud & Storm)
  21. Giant Ant
  22. Giant Centipede
  23. Giant Rat
  24. Giant Tick
  25. Gnoll
  26. Gnome
  27. Goblin
  28. Green Slime
  29. Grey Ooze
  30. Griffon
  31. Hell Hound
  32. Hippogriff
  33. Hobgoblin
  34. Horse (Light, Medium, Heavy & Draft)
  35. Hydra
  36. Kobold
  37. Lizard Man
  38. Lycanthrope (Wereboar, Wererat, Werebear, Weretiger & Werewolf)
  39. Manticore
  40. Medusa
  41. Minotaur
  42. Mummy
  43. Ochre Jelly
  44. Ogre
  45. Orc
  46. Owl Bear
  47. Pegasus
  48. Pixie
  49. Purple Worm
  50. Rust Monster
  51. Shadow
  52. Shrieker
  53. Skeleton
  54. Spectre
  55. Spider (Large, Huge, Giant)
  56. Stirge
  57. Troglodyte
  58. Troll
  59. Unicorn
  60. Vampire
  61. Wight
  62. Wraith
  63. Yellow Mould
  64. Zombie
In addition to the monsters in the monster chapter, mentions of others are sprinkled throughout the rules and the sample dungeon. BLUEHOLME™ Compleat also includes monsters mentioned in Holmes's other articles, books, and short stories: http://dreamscapedesign.net/2014/01/05/ ... creatures/

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18473
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: [Holmes] Monsters?

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Vile wrote:Holmes has possibly the best "essential" monster compilation of any D&D product. Everything from Carrion Crawlers through Dragons to Giants and Purple Worms (Dragons may be iconic, but Giants and Purple Worms are the real boss monsters of early D&D). The list includes things that couldn't possibly be challenged by 1-3 level characters in direct confrontation, which means players have to be more creative when encountering such powerful beings is not beyond the realm of possibility. Of course, this ties into the XP-for-gold philosophy of trying to steal the treasure without necessarily killing the monster, especially when it's more likely that the monster will kill you.
Interesting thoughts on Purple Worms and some of the ideas behind XP-for-gold!
List (Snipped)
This is a great list. One thing that really stands out to me is the inclusion of Brass Dragons and lack of many other dragon types including Golds.

Gold Dragons are the only Metallic Dragons of the later Classic D&D line. Is this another of those nods to the upcoming AD&D line that TSR wanted to insert into Holmes or could there be other reasons why Holmes chose Brass Dragons in particular?
In addition to the monsters in the monster chapter, mentions of others are sprinkled throughout the rules and the sample dungeon. BLUEHOLME™ Compleat also includes monsters mentioned in Holmes's other articles, books, and short stories: http://dreamscapedesign.net/2014/01/05/ ... creatures/
Interesting. I think what appeals to me most about BLUEHOLME is the inclusion of Dr. J.E Homes' works outside of his D&D rulebook. :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Vile
Bugbear
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 pm
Gender: prefer not to say

Re: [Holmes] Monsters?

Post by Vile » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Havard wrote:One thing that really stands out to me is the inclusion of Brass Dragons and lack of many other dragon types including Golds.

Gold Dragons are the only Metallic Dragons of the later Classic D&D line. Is this another of those nods to the upcoming AD&D line that TSR wanted to insert into Holmes or could there be other reasons why Holmes chose Brass Dragons in particular?
Unfortunately the page with the Dragons entry was missing from the manuscript that Zenopus dissected on his blog, so we don't really know whether the dragon choices were made by Holmes or someone (Gary?) at TSR: http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.hk/2014 ... -tree.html
Havard wrote:I think what appeals to me most about BLUEHOLME is the inclusion of Dr. J.E Homes' works outside of his D&D rulebook.
Those are really the reason BLUEHOLME™ exists - otherwise I might have stayed within the original remit of creating a Holes errata document! :D

Post Reply

Return to “Original D&D”