[Unofficial] Supplement V: Carcosa

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Unofficial] Supplement V: Carcosa

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Anyone have this unofficial OD&D Supplement by Geoff McKinney? I remember it causing some controversy because of certain elements of sex and human sacrifice, though from what I understand this was greatly blown out of proportions. The other thing I remember was that it included alot of weird races.

Another question: What are the differences between Supplement V and the Carcosa sourcebook for Lamentations of the Flame Princess?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: [Unofficial] Supplement V: Carcosa

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:09 am

The original version, shown on DF before publication, certainly was deserving of all the controversy and approbation - Geoff removed a lot of things and toned down others before actually publishing it.

Things like requiring the player to write out a detailed description of the rites used to sacrifice children and give that to the DM before the PC could get experience/gain power from the ritual, and so on.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

DizzySaxophone
Goblin

Post by DizzySaxophone » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:18 pm

I've been trying to get my hands on an original for years now. I only own the LotFP version, but it is a beautiful book!

From what I understand, Geoffrey released the original, than also released a Expurgated version that had toned down the language. From what I've heard of the original, and what I've read in the LotFP versions, all of the rituals that sparked the controversy were all written very clinically. It all kind of fits in with the setting as well. At least in the LotFP, there are only fighting-men, and sorcerers (which aren't really like magic-users). Carcosa is a depraved place. The weird races make me think of the different alien races in E.R. Burroughs - Barsoom series.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Thanks for the input guys! I guess I didn't really know the whole story about there being 3 separate versions of the setting. I am generally not too fond of "adult themes" in my own campaigns, at least if it gets too explicit, but at the same time Carcosa has become enough of a household name that it seems like something one should know about.

I already have the LotFP Grindhouse Box that I was able to buy from James Raggi himself when I was visiting Finland a few years ago. I never got the Carcosa supplement for that game eitehr though, but that may be an option.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

DizzySaxophone
Goblin

Post by DizzySaxophone » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:42 pm

I also should have mentioned, that apparently the LotFP doesn't remove anything from the original. Instead it adds an adventure near the end, and goes from one item described per hex, to 2 described per hex. I just like having copies of lbb sized supplements as well D:

Personally, the 'adult themes' never really bothered me. They are really clinically written. I'll copy & paste one ritual for you though so you can at least see if it is for you or not. I do understand that this would still bother people:

This four-hour ritual attempts to contact the inhuman
intelligences that brood in the deepest intergalactic gulfs.
Two Ulfire youths (one male and one female, neither a
virgin) are the required sacrifices. On a clear, moonless night,
the Sorcerer must inflict upon the sacrifices the complex and
intricate tortures devised by the Snake-Men using a set of
implements made of black opal. (Such will have a value of at
least 10,000 g.p.) The Sorcerer’s piercing shouts, accompanied
by the screams of the sacrifices, open the voids so the Sorcerer
can hear the thoughts of the intergalactic minds. Note that
the sacrifices need not be killed, and can be reused.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm

What I'd like to know is exactly how much of a connection this Carcosa has to that other, debatably better known Carcosa that stands by the Lake of Hali, which was visited by a certain stranger in a Pallid Mask. Possibly not much, of course; Marion Zimmer Bradley has openly admitted swiping the name Hastur for her Darkover series while intending absolutely no parallel to any other, er, entities by that appelation. But from the sound of things, that might not be the case in this instance. So how about it, Investigators? Is there some potential here?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:09 pm

I believe Carcosa as described by Ambrose Bierce, Robert W. Chambers and H.P Lovecraft is an inspiration to George McKinney's setting, but that it is in this verison its own thing. I dont know if Marion Zimmer Bradley's version or others were also used as inspiration by McKinney. It is possible, but as you say Zimmer Bradley mainly borrowed the names in a different context.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Original D&D”