[Holmes] Collection THX1138 boxed set video

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Holmes] Collection THX1138 boxed set video

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:50 am

YouTube user Collection THX1138 has made a video that explains what's in the Holmes boxed set:
Collection THX1138 wrote:Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition Holmes Box Set TSR 1979 Grenadier Minis Keep on Borderlands Primer

This is my vintage 1st Edition DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Dr. Eric Holmes Basic Box Set TSR 1979. It also shows a TSR catalog, Adventure Module B2 The Keep on the Borderlands by Gary Gygax featuring the Caves of Chaos, polyhedral dice, Grenadie Die Cast Minatures, Advanced D&D Dungeon Masters Screens, Character Sheets.

I show every page of the rule book which includes spells, treasure tables, and a monster manual. including a classic bare breasted Harpy illustration.

I go over a Primer of how D&D 1sr edition is played and show some closeups of Maps, Stat Blocks, and Example Gameplay between PC's and a DM Dungeon Master.

I also show my game collection.
Some of you probably already know this stuff, but as someone who used to really struggle with where OD&D, Holmes, B/X, BECMI and AD&D fit together, I found this video pretty informative.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Holmes] Collection THX1138 boxed set video

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:02 pm

I'm fascinated by the differences between the early versions of D&D and the various OSR products that are attempting to emulate or capture the feeling of these products. I hope to see more content like this!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: [Holmes] Collection THX1138 boxed set video

Post by Hugin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:16 am

Definately going to go watch this (as soon as I'm finished here though ;) ). Like Tim, I find the evolution of the game is fasinating, especially in the early years.

Return to “Original D&D”