[Holmes] Does Holmes D&D have a campaign setting?

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Holmes] Does Holmes D&D have a campaign setting?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 pm

I just found out (thanks to RobJN) that a book of stories called Tales of Peril written by Eric Holmes is going to go on sale fairly soon and I'm wondering if this ties into the Holmes version of D&D, in some way.

I know that Frank Mentzer's D&D included what eventually turned into Mystara. But did Professor Holmes create any sort of D&D campaign setting in his boxed set (or in any other D&D products he created to go with it)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Vile
Bugbear

Re: [Holmes] Does Holmes D&D have a campaign setting?

Post by Vile » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:33 am

Like I said in that thread, there are two settings in Holmes's writings - although they might actually be in the same world. The first is the introductory adventure in the Blue Book itself, set in a coastal town called Portown.

In addition, many of Holmes's short stories, which appear to be based on actual games he ran, feature recurring characters like Boinger the halfling, Zereth the dark elf, and Murray the magic-user. Their adventures are set in various fantasy tropes like a desert with slave caravans, a sorcerer's island, and several more generic European fantasy-type locales. This world has no name, and I get the impression that the setting was created to suit each adventure, and never (or only vaguely) tied together as a coherent game world.

Holmes had a lot of pulp inspirations, in particular the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Holmes wrote two books set in Pellucidar.

I can heartily recommend checking out the book once it arrives.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: [Holmes] Does Holmes D&D have a campaign setting?

Post by Sturm » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:26 am

Vile wrote:Their adventures are set in various fantasy tropes like a desert with slave caravans, a sorcerer's island, and several more generic European fantasy-type locales. This world has no name, and I get the impression that the setting was created to suit each adventure, and never (or only vaguely) tied together as a coherent game world.
Well that's interesting, even if the Known World/Mystara did not exist yet at the time, probably it can fit into it...

Return to “Original D&D”