[Holmes][Monsters & Perils] Anyone played this?

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[Holmes][Monsters & Perils] Anyone played this?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:46 am

Tim Baker mentioned that the Mazes & Perils Deluxe Edition is on sale.

I've never heard of this before, but apparently it is a retro-clone of Holmes D&D (or a similar system that was inspired by Holmes D&D).

Has anyone played Monsters and Perils? What do you think of it?

Is it compatible enough with Holmes for people to use this with D&D products of that era?

Does it continue on (as if Holmes was paid to create a bigger system that went to higher levels) or does it have the same sort of level limits as Holmes D&D?

Is there a Monsters & Perils campaign setting? And, if so, does it dovetail with the setting that Professor Holmes created or is it radically different?

Are there a lot of MnP adventures out there? Can they easily be used with Holmes rules instead of MnP?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Holmes][Monsters & Perils] Anyone played this?

Postby RobJN » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:56 am

You might hit up the G+ group and see what's going on there, Big Mac.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Holmes][Monsters & Perils] Anyone played this?

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:27 am

Big Mac wrote:Has anyone played Monsters and Perils? What do you think of it?

Is it compatible enough with Holmes for people to use this with D&D products of that era?

Does it continue on (as if Holmes was paid to create a bigger system that went to higher levels) or does it have the same sort of level limits as Holmes D&D?

Is there a Monsters & Perils campaign setting? And, if so, does it dovetail with the setting that Professor Holmes created or is it radically different?

Are there a lot of MnP adventures out there? Can they easily be used with Holmes rules instead of MnP?

Mazes & Perils is based on the Holmes Basic set, but goes beyond the 3 levels in the product. Just like Holmes pointed at AD&D for further adventure, Mazes & Perils incorporates rules from 1st Edition AD&D and uses them to expand PC progression beyond level 3 (up to level 12).

There isn't a campaign setting for Mazes & Peril, other than the implied "generic D&D" setting that you'd expect with the standard mix of monsters, spells, etc.

I asked the author how Mazes & Perils differs from Blueholme (a retroclone of Holmes Basic), and his response may provide some insight into how M&P differs from Holmes Basic:

Vincent Florio wrote:M&P was first and actually the creator of BlueHolme was lay out designer for the original M&P which inspired BlueHolme. I believe BlueHolme is closer to an actual clone of Holmes. While Mazes & Perils started as a clone but is now it's own thing with a mix between Holmes and 1e.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to Original D&D