Vylkira's 4th Edition Ghostwalk conversion

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Vylkira's 4th Edition Ghostwalk conversion

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:29 am

A Twitter user called Vylkira has created a 4e conversion document for Ghostwalk!: :cool:
@Vylkira on Twitter wrote:Sharing the first bit of my #DnD 4E Ghostwalk conversion, in case anyone likes obscure gaming supps as much as I do.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5qfzR ... NHaG8/view
I'm going to ask her to give me a ping (or come over and bump this topic) if she adds to this 19 page PDF.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Vylkira's 4th Edition Ghostwalk conversion

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 am

Never played Ghostwalk, but I'm going to read this.

Do I need to have a sourcebook besides this conversion?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 am
Never played Ghostwalk, but I'm going to read this.

Do I need to have a sourcebook besides this conversion?
The stuff linked to from the Other Ghostwalk Websites (& Free Downloads) sticky and the Ghostwalk Q&A will help you understand some of the stuff in the conversion, but you will probably have some unanswered questions on the exact implementation of how ghosts work or how the city of Manifest and the surrounding countries interact with ghost PCs.

If there is anything you don't grok about Ghostwalk itself, check the existing topics and start a new one if you don't see one that covers the thing you want to know about.

I've invited Vylkira over here (I'm not sure if she will come over) but maybe she will be able to discuss 4th Edition rules with you. You are a 4e expert, so if she talks to you, you might be able to help her brainstorm ideas that will get her conversion finished faster. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:48 pm

I see.

I will read the document at home, but I wonder how the 4e ghost race (from an UA article) may fit with this conversion.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:48 pm
I see.

I will read the document at home, but I wonder how the 4e ghost race (from an UA article) may fit with this conversion.
I don't think I've seen that before. Is it a DDI thing or have WotC made it public?

It may well fit, especially if it is a non-evil version of a ghost. Ghostwalk is all about every PC or NPC that dies coming back as a ghost (and hanging out in a city called Manifest that turns ghosts solid enough for them to do stuff). Nobody changes alignment when they change to a ghost (not automatically anyway - they might change over later if they act differently).

Characters who have died advance as a ghost character class...unless they pay to be brought back to life (or unless they move onto the True Afterlife instead).

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:24 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:
I see.

I don't think I've seen that before. Is it a DDI thing or have WotC made it public?
Yeah, DDI thing. You can read it in Dragon 420. IIRC, is a template race (much lile the Revenant, it has some unique features and inherits others from your former race).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 am

Very cool. It's fun to see 4e get some love.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

vylkira
Kobold

Post by vylkira » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi all! I was wondering why I had so many Twitter notifications today :) This was a project a few years ago (6? 8?) when I was running Ghostwalk on a regular basis. I'm not sure I've seen the DDI race (or if I have, it's been a while), but from the sounds of it I'd imagine it would work pretty darn well. I'll have to look it up!

(PS-Can I just say how cool it is to find an entire subforum dedicated to Ghostwalk?!)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 pm

vylkira wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 pm
Hi all! I was wondering why I had so many Twitter notifications today :) This was a project a few years ago (6? 8?) when I was running Ghostwalk on a regular basis. I'm not sure I've seen the DDI race (or if I have, it's been a while), but from the sounds of it I'd imagine it would work pretty darn well. I'll have to look it up!

(PS-Can I just say how cool it is to find an entire subforum dedicated to Ghostwalk?!)
Welcome to The Piazza, vylkira!

You might want to say hi at the Introduce yourself here topic. It's a great way to connect with others who have similar interests in campaign settings and systems/editions.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:00 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:24 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:
I see.

Yeah, DDI thing. You can read it in Dragon 420. IIRC, is a template race (much lile the Revenant, it has some unique features and inherits others from your former race).
Thanks. I see the Unearthed Arcana article listed here, on RPG Net.
Dragon 420: Unearthed Arcana on RPG Net wrote:Death need not be an end for your character; it can be a beginning. The potential to become a ghost lies in every mortal creature—even adventurers. The optional rules in this article let players and DMs explore the world between life and death.
That is very much like the main selling point of Ghostwalk.

I don't know 4th Edition, so I don't know if this would have the exact same feel (to 4e players), and this blurb has no mention of the calling or the other things that are tangential to ghosts in Ghostwalk, but I think that most of those rules are pretty much system neutral things that someone could convert fairly easily.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:18 am

vylkira wrote:
Hi all! I was wondering why I had so many Twitter notifications today :) This was a project a few years ago (6? 8?) when I was running Ghostwalk on a regular basis.
Hey! It's Vylkira! Thanks for signing up to talk to us! Welcome to The Piazza! :cool:

Tim already mentioned the "Introduce yourself here" topic. If there are any other obscure D&D products you like, it might be worth mentioning them over there, in case there is someone else here who also likes them. And if you are involved with any projects you could also mention them there (and maybe stick links in your forum signature, if you have websites for stuff).

The reason behind you getting so many Twitter notifications was actually me seeing Christopher Perkins telling a Ghostwalk fan, who asked about 5e Ghostwalk that nobody had ever mentioned Ghostwalk on Twitter.

I actually loaded up Tweetdeck and searched for Ghostwalk. And after originally being flooded out with topics about street walks where they talk about haunted areas, I searched for Ghostwalk and "DnD" and found your March 2017 Tweet.

If you were actually running Ghostwalk 6-8 years back, I guess you might have some even more interesting stuff from back then. Do you have a blog or anything? Do you have any game diaries or NPCs you would be willing to share?
vylkira wrote:
I'm not sure I've seen the DDI race (or if I have, it's been a while), but from the sounds of it I'd imagine it would work pretty darn well. I'll have to look it up!
I'd like to hear your take on it, as I really don't understand 4th Edition rules. I'm interested in some 4e stuff, especially the Nentir Vale campaign setting, but I usually rely on 4e experts translating 4e maths into English for me. (I find Zeromaru X super helpful when I need to learn Nentir Vale stuff. He has a ton of amazing topics in the Nentir Vale subforum here.)
vylkira wrote:
It's the thing that I like the most about The Piazza. Back in 2008, when the lady that created The Piazza set it up, the people running Gleemax for Wizards of the Coast had decided that there were not enough people interested in talking about out of print campaign settings, so they decided to merge all their forums into a single one. Ashtagon recreated what they decided to delete and then added support for campaign settings that never got supported over there.

Ghostwalk is fairly obscure (like you said) and I couldn't find many other people who wanted to talk about it, so it took me several years to find enough fans to "win" the bespoke forum here.

You might find the Ghostwalk stickies useful. Other Ghostwalk Websites (& Free Downloads) is a collection of resources that myself and others have found (I need to remember to add your 4e conversion there) and [Ghostwalk] Ghostwalk Q&A is a collection of questions about Ghostwalk that Sean K Reynolds and Monte Cook have been kind enough to answer over the years. I found them elsewhere and copied and pasted them into that Q&A so they would be together.

If you are going to do some more Ghostwalk, at any point, you might find ZeroGlobal2003's adventure "Best Served Cold" useful.

You might also want to check out the D&D 4th Edition subforum (over in the part of The Piazza where people talk about rules). :)

Return to “Ghostwalk”