Ghost Feats for the living

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Ghost Feats for the living

Post by Big Mac »

Page 28 of the Ghostwalk hardback pretty much says that Ghost Feats are useless to anyone who is brought back to life:
Chapter 1: All About Ghosts: Feats wrote:Feats with the [Ghost] descriptor can only be used by ghosts unfetted by a physical body. A living creature can select ghost feats, but cannot use them unless a ghost. Ghost feats selected while the character was a ghost carry over to when the character is living, but cannot be used until the character is a ghost again. Magical abilities granted by ghost feats are often called ghost powers.

Ghost feats also have a ghost power path descriptor, such as [Corrupter] or [Haunt]. These categories do not limit feat selection in any way, but simply identiry which path a feat belongs to.

Unless otherwise stated, ghosts feats are supernatural abilities.
What I was just thinking was that there are some circumstances when a character might become "unfetted by a physical body" without dying. So I thought it might be interesting to consider if it would be appropriate to have some or all of the ghost powers work for an incorporeal (living) character.

I think this could...and probably should work for characters using the Astral Projection spell.

Can anyone think of anything else that removes PCs from their own bodies?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: Ghost Feats for the living

Post by Khedrac »

Spirit Shamans get the ability to go incorporeal, now while this does not remove the SS from their body, the body is no longer "physical".
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:06 am
Page 28 of the Ghostwalk hardback pretty much says that Ghost Feats are useless to anyone who is brought back to life:
Chapter 1: All About Ghosts: Feats wrote:Feats with the [Ghost] descriptor can only be used by ghosts unfetted by a physical body. A living creature can select ghost feats, but cannot use them unless a ghost. Ghost feats selected while the character was a ghost carry over to when the character is living, but cannot be used until the character is a ghost again. Magical abilities granted by ghost feats are often called ghost powers.

Ghost feats also have a ghost power path descriptor, such as [Corrupter] or [Haunt]. These categories do not limit feat selection in any way, but simply identiry which path a feat belongs to.

Unless otherwise stated, ghosts feats are supernatural abilities.
What I was just thinking was that there are some circumstances when a character might become "unfetted by a physical body" without dying. So I thought it might be interesting to consider if it would be appropriate to have some or all of the ghost powers work for an incorporeal (living) character.

I think this could...and probably should work for characters using the Astral Projection spell.
Sean K Reynolds said something about this:
Sean K Reynolds at the Ghostwalk group on Facebook wrote:Seems reasonable. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Khedrac wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:49 am
Spirit Shamans get the ability to go incorporeal, now while this does not remove the SS from their body, the body is no longer "physical".
I went looking for information on that and found this in the Eastern Classes article in the Forgotten Realms Class Chronicles:
Eytan Bernstein wrote:Spirit Shamans

Spirit shamans are uncommon in the Realms and Kara-Tur. In Kara-Tur, shamans channel and mediate with spirits, acting as the spiritual guide for more primitive populations. Only spirit folk in Kara-Tur follow the path of the spirit shaman and rarely go adventuring. Shamans of Kara-Tur have more of a connection to people and ancestors, whereas spirit shamans are more connected to spirits of the land and the land itself. In the Realms, spirit shamans are found among the witches and independent male divine spellcasters of Rashemen. They are also found among the spirit folk of Rashemen and Thesk (those brought from Kara-Tur along the Golden Way). Finally, a small number of spirit shamans travel the Realms, having come from the distant land of Osse.

Spirit shamans in Rashemen are divided into two contingents. The first is a section of Hathrans -- the exclusively female divine spellcasters of the land. These Hathrans commune solely with spirits, leaving communion with deities to the other casters. To make Hathran magic more unique, some DMs may wish to make all members of this group spirit shamans. Barring that, DMs can limit spirit shamans to the subsection of Hathrans that only commune with spirits. While only male spellcasters are required to go on a dajemma (spirit journey or pilgrimage), many female spellcasters also go. This is almost universal among Hathrans who take up the path of the spirit shaman. This is the most frequent way that spirit shamans venture into the Realms.

There are also male spirit shamans in Rashemen. While all arcane spellcasters are either roped into the Vremyonni or banished, male divine spellcasters have no such limitation. There are male clerics and druids in Rashemen, but many independent male Rashemi spellcasters are spirit shaman hermits. Some whisper that they are driven mad by their connection with the spirits, especially without the social framework provided by Hathrans and Wychlaran.

The spirit folk of Rashemen and Thesk sometimes take up the path of the spirit shaman. Their spirit ancestry makes them an obvious choice, and they often have great facility with the abilities of this class. The spirit shamans of the Rashemen tend to be of the mountain and river variety, whereas those that come from Kara-Tur can be of any type, especially bamboo. Few outside their populations take the time to understand the magic of the spirit folk, assuming it is something innate rather than something studied. Spirit folk spirit shamans adventure for a number of reasons -- to find their way in the world, because of wanderlust, or because of special missions known only by them and the spirits with which they commune.

Osse is a mysterious continent far from Faerûn. Its population shares much in common with the aboriginal populations of real-world Australia and New Zealand. The people are deeply in touch with their natural world and believe that everything has a spirit -- rocks, trees, air. They are in touch with their ancestors and venerate them along with nature. While travelers from Osse are few and far between in the Realms, those that are encountered frequently follow the path of the spirit shaman. They go on quests to find their way in life, balance wrongs in the spirit world, and help maintain the world's natural beauty.
Given that these are recommended only for Rashemen and Thesk, in Faerûn in the Forgotten Realms, I'd say that in Ghostwalk, it might be better for Spirit Shamen to also be restricted to races with unusual cultures.

Return to “Ghostwalk”