Expanding Shellcraft

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Expanding Shellcraft

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Shellcraft is something that only gnomes in Manifest know how to do.

The only application I see for it is the Shellcraft Manikin. Here is the start of the blurb:
Shellcraft Manikin wrote:This humanoid creation of metal and wood roughly resembles a tailor’s dummy, with articulated limbs and head. The unusual materials in its construction allow an incorporeal creature to enter the manikin (a standard action) and move it in a manner similar to how some ghosts can possess bodies, allowing a ghost to carry material objects even when outside the Manifest Ward. Leaving the manikin is a standard action.
I thought that they all looked like tailor's dummies, but there is also this:
Shellcraft Manikin wrote:A manikin may be built in the form of a dwarf, elf, gnome, half-orc, halfling, or human. A manikin has hardness 7 and 50 hit points if it is Medium-size, or 35 hit points if it is Small.
The weight is listed as 40-80 lbs, so I'm guessing that the Small-sized ones weigh 40 lbs and the Medium sized ones weigh 80 lbs.

I'm thinking that, if different shaped and sized Shellcraft Manikins can be made, it should also be possible to create Large-sized ones, ones shaped like exotic creatures (such as centaurs or avarials) or ones with some sort of improved abilities.

Are there any other D&D rules that are along these lines?

Would the Eberron rules for improving the bodies of Warforged work or are they tied to individual characters?

How about rules for golems? Do they have modification rules?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Matriarch

Re: Expanding Shellcraft

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:27 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:38 pm
Would the Eberron rules for improving the bodies of Warforged work or are they tied to individual characters?
They are tied to individual characters.

Alternately you could use the Gearforged from the Midgard campaign setting. In Midgard, Gearforged are 'awakened' in a ritual that rips the soul from a living being and posits it into gearforged receptacle. You could tweak the ritual to create a Ghostforged.
Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that's when you're most beautiful.
- Zoe Kravitz

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:03 pm

Angelika Tatsu wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:27 am
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:38 pm
They are tied to individual characters.

Alternately you could use the Gearforged from the Midgard campaign setting. In Midgard, Gearforged are 'awakened' in a ritual that rips the soul from a living being and posits it into gearforged receptacle. You could tweak the ritual to create a Ghostforged.
I wasn't actually thinking of going as far as permanently putting a ghost into a Shellcraft Manikin to create a "Ghostforged", but I did ask where Shellcraft could go and you are right! :cool:

I would think that this would require a spell along the lines of a Resurrection spell to lock the soul of a ghost into a "Shellcraft Body".

I guess that the regular 3e rules for Warforged would work, but with the character being fully aware of their previous life in a mortal body. But I might look at the Midgard rules too, for comparison.

I'm not sure what effect this would have on the lifespan of souls (considering they are not in their mortal bodies any more). :?

Does Midgard have anything to say about Gearforged lifespans?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Matriarch

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:03 pm
I wasn't actually thinking of going as far as permanently putting a ghost into a Shellcraft Manikin to create a "Ghostforged", but I did ask where Shellcraft could go and you are right! :cool:
Actually I wasn't trying to suggest a permanent symbiosis of the ghost to the manikin/ghostforged. Like I said there is a ritual (like a spell, but doesn't use spell slots) that tears the soul from a living body and posits it into the gearforged...there is the potential for backlash if the ritual fails and one of the backlash effects is that it creates a ghost. I imagine that necromancers would be spearheading a campaign to create a type of undead construct that disembodied spirits/souls could temporarily inhabit to have physical advantage when they need/want it.
Big Mac wrote:
I guess that the regular 3e rules for Warforged would work, but with the character being fully aware of their previous life in a mortal body. But I might look at the Midgard rules too, for comparison.
Since Gearforged were once mortal, they are aware of their previous life in a mortal body. An advantage to Ghostforged would be to possess the construct when it proves to be advantageous. I imagine that it could be magically endowed to be able to shrink down to the size of a trinket when not possessed by a ghost or other incorporeal undead.
Big Mac wrote:
I'm not sure what effect this would have on the lifespan of souls (considering they are not in their mortal bodies any more). :?

Does Midgard have anything to say about Gearforged lifespans?
Gearforged are effectively immortal, provided they spend the requisite time winding their gears. If they stop winding their gears they lose mobility after a period of time, until someone else winds the gears for the gearforged.
Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that's when you're most beautiful.
- Zoe Kravitz

Return to “Ghostwalk”