[Ghostwalk] Ghostwalk Q&A

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

One of the prerequisite feats for Ghost Slayer is listed as

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:37 pm

One of the prerequisite feats for Ghost Slayer is listed as Ghost Fighting. Is that the same as the Incorporeal Target Fighting feat?

Question:
Caerin wrote:One of the prerequisite feats for Ghost Slayer is listed as Ghost Fighting. Is that the same as the Incorporeal Target Fighting feat?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Yep, the name got changed at some point. It's been noted for errata.--
Sean K Reynolds
http://www.seankreynolds.com
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Where is the information on the Sherem-Lar?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:39 pm

Where is the information on the Sherem-Lar?

Question:
SirUrza wrote:Ok, so I found the feat and the spell to cast on the unborn, but I must be blind or something cause I just can't find information about them any further. Any help?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:See the Countries chapter for the section on Bazareene and its Sherem-Lar sorcerer nobles. :)--
Sean K Reynolds
2nd Question:
Amaranthine wrote:What kind of in-game effect do they have?
Are they just cool fluff?
Or similar to the FR Craft Portal feat, in that it's something only a NPC will really have?
2nd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Sherem-Lar Sorcery and Sherezem-Lar Sorcerer are basically the Ghostwalk equivalent of FR's Spellcasting Prodigy: treat your Cha as 2 higher for determining bonus spells and spell DCs. --
Sean K Reynolds
3rd Question:
Amaranthine wrote:So the spell allows the unborn to be born with the feat (which would be taken as normal)?
Is the spell is just the 'fluff' to explain why the feat can be taken? Or are campaigns actually long enough for a spell cast on an unborn child to become relevant?
2nd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{ So the spell allows the unborn to be born with the feat (which would be taken as normal)?}

Yes.

{Is the spell is just the 'fluff' to explain why the feat can be taken? Or are campaigns actually long enough for a spell cast on an unborn child to become relevant?}

Primarily the first part, but possibly the second point. You could also have an adventure plot about a crazy Baz sorceress running around and casting it on all the pregnant women of Manifest....--
Sean K Reynolds
Response:
Amaranthine wrote:This is great!
One of the 'weaknesses' of D&D (and other fantasy roleplaying games) is that the spells included are those which are of use to adventuring parties (quite logical, as that is the focus of the game). Including a few spells or abilities that are of primary use to NPCs or organizations can do much to increase the 'color' of the world.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How can those Epic Ghostwalk characters exist?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:41 pm

How can those Epic Ghostwalk characters exist?

Question:
MERLANCE wrote:I thought that if you got too many levels in Eidolon or Eidoloncer you get sent to the true afterlife? if thats the case, can those epic characters presented exist?
Response:
Paladin wrote:It talks about having a certain percentage of standard classes to be able to stay a ghost. "Evil prospers when good men do not smack it on the head repeatedly."
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:I think Andy missed the part about the Calling, or assumed that someone using Epic rules would probably be using the Variant: No Calling option.--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Does Full Manifestation really only last one round?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Does Full Manifestation really only last one round?

Question:
Akkala wrote:I'm not sure if this is the place for GW questions. Point in the in right direction if not, please.

As its written, the best you can get with the Full Manifestation (or Incorporeal) feat is one move-equivalent action since the effect will wear off before the start of your next round. Is this how its supposed to work or is this like [pre-errata] True Strike?

Also, are characters with the GW Ghost template always manifested? I.E. can they ever go fully ethereal like MM Ghosts. I suspect not but wanted to make sure. I saw an article a few days ago about the differences between ethereal and incorporeal but can't seem to find it again.

Thanks in advance.
Aaron
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{As its written, the best you can get with the Full Manifestation (or Incorporeal) feat is one move-equivalent action since the effect will wear off before the start of your next round. Is this how its supposed to work or is this like [pre-errata] True Strike?}

That's how it's supposed to work. Becoming incorporeal is VERY powerful and should have a very short duration, and the converse power should work the same way else it's just weird. Basically Incorporeal Form is handy for making a getaway. You could also start a chain of feats from it that let you stay incorporeal longer than just 1 round.

{Also, are characters with the GW Ghost template always manifested? I.E. can they ever go fully ethereal like MM Ghosts. I suspect not but wanted to make sure.}

When a character in the GW setting dies, their ghost shows up on the Ethereal Plane and they have the option to come fully to the Material Plane. Once on the Material Plane they're there to stay ... unlike MM ghosts they can't pop back and forth at will (though they can still use spells like etherealness or plane shift to go there, just like a living physical character can).

{I saw an article a few days ago about the differences between ethereal and incorporeal but can't seem to find it again.}

It's here on my site in the RPG/Misc section. :)--
Sean K Reynolds
Note: Here is the article Sean mentioned: The Difference Between Incorporeal and Ethereal
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Are there any GW adventures or other support planned?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Are there any GW adventures or other support planned?

Question:
MisterBrix wrote:Are there any GW adventures planned?

Or any other kind of future support??
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Dragon has asked about a followup article. Much of the stuff I'm doing for my site will be GW-appropriate. I think the RPGA may have a tournament scenario planned. But I don't think there will be any other official support from WotC unless the book flies off the shelves and they see a great unreasonable demand for it.--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Please clarify how things work inside and outside of the Man

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Please clarify how things work inside and outside of the Manifest Ward.

Question:
karask wrote:Hello all!
Just a few clarifications to make sure I understand the rules of the setting -- great setting, btw!
It is to my understanding that all the following are true...

When within the Manifest Ward:
* a web spell affects both non-ghosts and ghosts
* an ectoplasmic web spell affects only ghosts
* possession occurs normally and ghost enters the host -- with touch weapons, other items are dropped -- and becomes/behaves as incorporeal
Outside the Manifest Ward:
* a web spell affects only corporeal creatures (since the web strands are not magical, incorporeal creatures ignore it)
* a phantasmal killer spell has a 50% chance to affect incorporeal creatures (as usual).
* an ectoplasmic web spell has a 50% chance to affect incorporeal creatures

Thanks in advance!

Kostas

PS. Gee, if one of the designers knew me I would guess that the Bazareene society and structure was a dedication ;-)
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{When within the Manifest Ward:
* a web spell affects both non-ghosts and ghosts}

Correct.

{* an ectoplasmic web spell affects only ghosts}

No ... it's made of ectoplasm, which is a solid substance (so it affects material creatures) that acts like a ghost touch material (so it affects incorporeal creatures), so it affects material creatures _and_ ghosts.

{* possession occurs normally and ghost enters the host -- with touch weapons, other items are dropped -- and becomes/behaves as incorporeal}

I'm not sure what you mean by the becomes/behaves part, but yes, a manifested ghost can still possess someone.

{Outside the Manifest Ward:
* a web spell affects only corporeal creatures (since the web strands are not magical, incorporeal creatures ignore it)}

Correct.

{* a phantasmal killer spell has a 50% chance to affect incorporeal creatures (as usual).}

Correct (though it only affects living creatures, which rules out undead but not ghosts).

{* an ectoplasmic web spell has a 50% chance to affect incorporeal creatures}

Not correct ... as a ghost touch material, it affects incorporeal creatures 100% of the time, just like stabbing one with a ghost touch sword always hits them.

{PS. Gee, if one of the designers knew me I would guess that the Bazareene society and structure was a dedication ;-)}

How so?--
Sean K Reynolds

2nd Question:
karask wrote:Hi Sean, and thanks for the prompt reply!

I guess I had confused things a bit :)

So, an ectoplasmic web spell affects ghosts+non-ghosts inside and outside of the M. Ward. (makes sense...I missed the fact that it is of higher sp. level than web).

So many questions... :)

{{PS. Gee, if one of the designers knew me I would guess that the Bazareene society and structure was a dedication ;-)}
How so?}

Just because I was thinking something similar, and sorc. and monk are my favorite classes, and their combination can make miracles (IMHO - although a cleric also could help on that :)

Fits brilliantly with the militaristic nature and structure of the country... and in a nutshell, it clicked! :)

Thanks again,
Kostas
Note: This question didn't get an answer yet.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How exactly does the Grand Malevolence feat work?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Question:
karask wrote:And a question:

When you possess a creature you enter its body, right? Then when you try to possess another creature (you need to move to its space by (I guess) using the host) and succeed...where do you (the soul) actually resides then? To both (all) the creatures?

Thanks in advance!

Kostas
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{And a question:
When you possess a creature you enter its body, right?}

Yes.

{Then when you try to possess another creature (you need to move to its space by (I guess) using the host) and succeed...where do you (the soul) actually resides then? To both (all) the creatures?}

The ghost is in both creatures, so attacks specifically targeting the possessing ghost could be made against any of the hosts.

--
Sean K Reynolds

2nd Question:
karask wrote:Another thing.. when a ghost possesses a creature, I read somewhere that the Disrupt Ectoplasm has 50% chance to hit the ghost. Why is that? Is it because the host provides concealment? Shouldn't it touch the host first and do nothing to the ghost? (also see question about ect. web below)

Is that the same inside and outside the Ward? (I would think yes)

If, still while possessing a creature, an ectoplasmic web is cast to the host/ghost... is it the body (host) only affected? Would it be right to guess that, while the spell is in effect, the ghost cannot leave the host? Or if it does it gets immediately stuck to the ect. web in the same square as the host?

Thanks again,
Kostas
2nd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{Another thing.. when a ghost possesses a creature, I read somewhere that the Disrupt Ectoplasm has 50% chance to hit the ghost. Why is that? Is it because the host provides concealment?}

That's a good way to think of it, yes.

{Shouldn't it touch the host first and do nothing to the ghost? (also see question about ect. web below)}

It's not just a matter of hitting "first" ... you're sending shockwaves of energy through the target's body. If it was just a living creature the shockwaves would have no effect, but since there's an ectoplasmic creature overlapping its body the shockwaves have a chance of affecting it.

{Is that the same inside and outside the Ward? (I would think yes)}

Yes. :)

{If, still while possessing a creature, an ectoplasmic web is cast to the host/ghost... is it the body (host) only affected? Would it be right to guess that, while the spell is in effect, the ghost cannot leave the host? Or if it does it gets immediately stuck to the ect. web in the same square as the host?}

I'd vote for the last option ... the ghost can leave the host but would immediately be subject to the spell (and would get a save as normal).
:)
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Sherem-Lar Sorcery and Sherezem-Lar Sorcery stack. Would Spe

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Sherem-Lar Sorcery and Sherezem-Lar Sorcery stack. Would Spellcasting Prodigy also stack?

Question:
SirUrza wrote:Ok.. so..
Sherem-Lar Sorcery and Sherezem-Lar Sorcery stack.
Would Spellcasting Prodigy stack also? :)
Response:
Zero wrote:I don't own the FRCS book to tell you based on the wording of Spellcasting Prodigy (I think its FRCS right?) I would have to say that really Sherem-Lar Sorcery is Ghostwalk's world's Spellcasting Prodigy. I'd not let them stack (it gets way too muchkinie in a hurry if they do).
Zero
Wannabe Ghostwalk Buff
2nd Response
Caerin wrote:I would guess no, but since only first level characters can take any of those feats, I don't think there's a way to get all of 'em anyway...
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{I would have to say that really Sherem-Lar Sorcery is Ghostwalk's world's Spellcasting Prodigy.}
Ayep. :)--
Sean K Reynolds
2nd Question:
Amaranthine wrote:
SirUrza wrote:Sherem-Lar Sorcery and Sherezem-Lar Sorcery stack.
What is the difference between them?
2nd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:It's like the difference between Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus ... one is a prereq to the other, they have almost identical effects, the sequel feat adds to the first one.--
Sean K Reynolds
3rd Question:
Amaranthine wrote:Ah.. ok.
Both must still be taken at 1st level though?
3rd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Yep, it's a "born with it" sort of thing."--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Are any of these features on your sketch map errors?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Are any of these features on your sketch map errors?

Question:
karask wrote:I agree! That's better than my non-sketcy maps ;-)
Btw, I notice that "Donaree" does not have a grey circle that would characterise it as a capital. Is this intentional?
Do the cartographers have any other guidelines when they'll draw the map? (so that Donaree will be illustrated as a capital - a minor point really, I am just being pedantic :-)
Thanks for the map!
Kostas
2nd Question:
karask wrote:Having examined the map more closely, I have two more comments (being pedantic _again_ :-)
One Bazareene city is called Dalagath in the book but Dalafath in the map.
According to the book Falar, is (should be) on the map but it wouldn't fit in the map I saw (e.g. Jajin is just inside). I comment on that because Tereppek's Porune is too north to be in the map, but the book says so in the city's description (so I take it that Falar was intented to actually be on the map..?).
As the map isn't made yet, I was wondering if these comments could `go' to the cartographers to be included in the new map.
I am not complaining here!! I appreciate Sean's effort to provide us the map -- to a setting that I really like and intend to use -- but I am just trying to avoid potential errata...
Thanks in advance!
Kostas
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{ That's a pretty darn good SKETCH! I was expecting something drawn on a napkin :)}

Well, I did clean it up a bit in Photoshop and redrew it so the original grid marks could be discarded. :P

{Btw, I notice that "Donaree" does not have a grey circle that would characterise it as a capital. Is this intentional?}

Nope, that's a goof. I'll fix it on the sketch and tell WotC about it so the professional cartographers get it on the final map.

{One Bazareene city is called Dalagath in the book but Dalafath in the map.}

Noted, emailed, and fixed. :)

{According to the book Falar, is (should be) on the map but it wouldn't fit in the map I saw (e.g. Jajin is just inside). I comment on that because Tereppek's Porune is too north to be in the map, but the book says so in the city's description (so I take it that Falar was intented to actually be on the map..?).}

In my text, both cities have [not on map], but that was removed from Falar's in the final print version for some reason. So in that case there is nothing wrong with the map. :)
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Was anything in Ghostwalk influenced by the movie Ghostbuste

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Was anything in Ghostwalk influenced by the movie Ghostbusters?

Question:
MisterBrix wrote:Ok Sean. I actually don't know how old you are. I guess you a are 30+ 40-.
So must have seen Ghostbusters, the movie, in your teeny years.
Could it be that GW is somehow influenced by this great movie that pleased this generation?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:I haven't seen the movie in a long time, but there are some elements in it that make appearances in Ghostwalk. The use of ectoplasm, for one (as as side effect of the Path of the Shaper, for example).
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Should the Khardon Court and Yisa-komas be the other way aro

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Should the Khardon Court and Yisa-komas be the other way around in the Ghostwalk timeline?

Question:
karask wrote:In the Timeline (p. 77) it says that the Khardon Court was formed and then after 10 years the Yisa-komas was formed.
However, in the text (p. 77) says that the Yisa-komas helped rebuild the city... which then lead to the creation of the Khardon Court (or at least that is what I can understand).
Am I missing something, or should the Khardon Court and Yisa-komas be the other way around in the timeline?
Thanks,
Kostas
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How is Garothos a ranger 2/blackguard 5?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:28 pm

How is Garothos a ranger 2/blackguard 5?

Question:
Amaranthine wrote:Why is Garothos a ranger 2/blackguard 5?
Actually, that should be a "How is" question, since a character needs 7-8 levels previous to being able to take his first blackguard level.
Is that explained in the book itself (which I don't have)?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Short answer: he was a paladin who converted levels, and later was level-drained.--
Sean K Reynolds
Check out my two newest books, Anger of Angels and Path of the Magi
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

When using Ghostwalk in Forgotten Realms, where does The Tru

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:29 pm

When using Ghostwalk in Forgotten Realms, where does The True Afterlife fit into the Realms Cosmology?

Question:
NovaSeaker wrote:I know there is a section on this in Ghostwalk, and it answers alot of questions, such as making the Veil a localized oddity.

But what about the True Afterlife, is this a plane set off from the rest of FR's cosmology? Does Kelemvor have any say over this treatment of the dead? Does the Fugue Plane connect to, or even replace, the True Afterlife?

I know alot of these questions can be answered by "If you want it to work that way, it does." But I'd like to hear some opinions one way or the other.
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Personally, I would dump the "geography" of the True Afterlife presented in the book. Here's a cut & paste of something I posted on Monte's site:

To drift off-topic a bit, the answer to your question is:
* Monte and I were told the book would be 7 module units (MUs, each MU being 32 pages long). He would design four, I two, then he another.
* When we put a proposal together with a page breakdown, we forgot that extra MU at the end, and turned over a 6-MU proposal.
* Monte left WotC and the rearranged the schedule so I'd do 4 MUs and he'd do 2. When I saw that the proposal was originally for 7 MUs, RPG talked to the Brand team and was told that Brand received the 6 MU proposal and changed the product's spec sheet to reflect the "new" size (I guess the thinking was, "They say they can do it in 6 MUs, so we'll do it in 6 MUs").
* We finished designing Ghostwalk.
* A month later, Rich Baker (creative director for the project) asked me, "Was Ghostwalk originally 6 or 7 MUs?" I told him 7, which was changed to 6. He pointed at the sell-sheet, which apparently had _never_ been changed to 6! So this book had been written 6 MUs long, but had been solicited to distributors and retailers as a 7 MU book (and therefore at a certain price). Changing that now (5 months after the inital solicitation would be a real problem.
* So they took me off of another project (can't remember what right now, but it was something I wanted to work on) and had me write another MU for the book.

Monte and I had felt that leaving the True Afterlife mysterious and up to individual DMs was the best option, but Rich talked me into putting together what it might look like, since there would be some people who would want to know what the "official" version was. So I wrote 16 pages on that, and 16 on additional encounter sites within the Undercity since there weren't any of those in the book other than Monte's included big adventures (FYI, those sites are Kinship of Vermin, Lair of the Crippled One, Lair of the Eyeless Lady, and Morbid Maze).

So that's why the True Afterlife is the way it is: added at the last minute, and not in a way that we really wanted, but had to do.

With that in mind, I'd be more than happy to dump it as presented. If using GW with FR, I'd make the True Afterlife a subsection of the Fugue Plane, perhaps with some special rules, perhaps not.

--
Sean K Reynolds
Check out my two newest books, Anger of Angels and Path of the Magi
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Are there going to be any Ghostwalk novels?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Are there going to be any Ghostwalk novels?

Question:
RMIRE wrote:Have WoTC ever considered publishing novels based on the ghostwalk setting? They do decide don't they?
2nd Question:
elementalawe wrote:Sean K., I just saw the GhostWalk campaign book on the Wizards of the Coast computer-net site and I noticed that you are the author of the book. You did an excellent job in creating the campaign of GhostWalk because it allows a typical NPC to become an adventurer. That means I can be a PC who is like an NPC. Because you are the author and creator of the GhostWalk campaign, are you allowed to create and publish any novel-type books for GhostWalk?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Thanks for the complements. :)

Everything I wrote while a WotC employee (including Ghostwalk) is WotC property, so I don't have any rights to do derivative materials, including novels. So no, I can't publish any Ghostwalk novels.

Technically I could write a Ghostwalk novel and post it on my website for free, but if WotC wanted to for any reason (for example, if they objected to some part of the content) or no reason at all they'd be fully within their rights to make me take it down. Them's the breaks when working under a "work for hire" contract. :)
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Are there any rules for magic items that ghosts can use?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Are there any rules for magic items that ghosts can use?

Question:
Guest wrote:I have a shadowdancer in my campaign that wants to upgrade his shadow. The shadow already has ghost touch armor, but he wants some other items for him as well, such as gloves of dexterity. The problem is that I can't find any rules for incorporeal magic items!

Gloves of dexterity are corporeal items, meaning that an incorporeal creature can't hold them. The same would be true for a ghost (unless they were fully manifested). How would an incorporeal being make a corporeal item incorporeal so that they could use it?

Edit: I thought this would be of most use to Ghostwalk players, so I decided to post it here.
Response:
RogueMonkeyChief wrote:There's a sidebar about this in either Savage Species or the Arms & Equipment Guide (I don't have either with me at the moment). If memory serves, making equipment (other than weapons or armor) ghost touch increases the market price by 10%.
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:That sounds reasonable.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Do Kreel Monk PCs have to have tattoos?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Do Kreel Monk PCs have to have tattoos?

Question:
elementalawe wrote:Sean K., can I start as a PC human 1st level monk of the Kreel Order who does not have a tatoo or/and piercing anywhere whatsoever? The DandD 3.5 PHB has it printed that humans often have tatoos or/and piercings. In the beginning part of the races section of the DandD 3.5 PHB, it is printed that a player can choose to have a character who differs from the description given for most members of the race. Do you think that can mean the physical description?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Of course! There's nothing in the Kreel parts of Ghostwalk that says they have tattoos or piercings. The physical descriptions in the PH are for a "generic" D&D campaign; specific campaign worlds may have different suggestions for character appearances.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can ghost characters have blue ectoplasm or look like they a

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Can ghost characters have blue ectoplasm or look like they are 35 years old?

Question:
elementalawe wrote:Thanks for the replies. I want my PC human to be changed to an ectoplasm ghost at 35 yrs. of age and I want my PC to have a rich, bright blue color for the ectoplasm. Can I remain as an ectoplasm ghost with the Eidolon class forever so that I'm immortal? For that, is the 'flexible advancement' option used or is the 'no calling towards true death' option used?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:It depends on if the DM is using the "no Calling" variant or not.
If he is using that variant, then yes, your PC will not age as long as he remains a ghost.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can ghost characters stay the same age forever and be immort

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Can ghost characters stay the same age forever and be immortal?

Question:
elementalawe wrote:Thanks for the replies. I want my PC human to be changed to an ectoplasm ghost at 35 yrs. of age and I want my PC to have a rich, bright blue color for the ectoplasm. Can I remain as an ectoplasm ghost with the Eidolon class forever so that I'm immortal? For that, is the 'flexible advancement' option used or is the 'no calling towards true death' option used?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:It depends on if the DM is using the "no Calling" variant or not.
If he is using that variant, then yes, your PC will not age as long as he remains a ghost.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can PCs have an NPC class and Eidolon class levels, so that

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Can PCs have an NPC class and Eidolon class levels, so that they are more effective as ghosts than living people?

Question:
elementalawe wrote:Thanks for that last answer, Sean K. Is it correct for me to say that the Eidolon class is close to an NPC class in the sense that the Eidolon doesn't improve in physical and magical capabilities? Because I want my Eidolon ectoplasm human ghost PC to be mediocre in terms of the living and mediocre in terms of unnatural living or more powerful in terms of unnatural living, I hope the answer is yes.
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:The eidolon class isn't an NPC class ... instead, it focuses on ghost abilities. The eidoloncer class splits its focus between ghost abilities and spellcasting.

If you have about the same number of eidolon levels as your other class levels (like fighter5/eidolon5 or fighter2/rogue3/eidolon5), you're be "mediocre" in your mortal abilities and "mediocre" in your ghostly abilities compared to a "pure" mortal-class or ghost-class character.
2nd Question:
elementalawe wrote:If my PC is an Eidolon, that means I am an ectoplasm human ghost automatically? Also, if I just focus on my Eidolon ectoplasm ghost abilites, can I be a PC who is like a PC with levels in an NPC class? What I'm getting at is that the Eidolon class is not as powerful as levels in my Kreel monk class, so can I choose to not use my special monk abilites?
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Could a ghost use spellfire (when Ghostwalk is used in Forgo

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Could a ghost use spellfire (when Ghostwalk is used in Forgotten Realms)?

Question:
Zeathiel wrote:Just wondered if it would be possible for a ghost to wield spellfire....not sure if this topic has been covered. Ghosts have no constitution so perhaps one could use charisma?

Appreciate any help

Thanks
Response:
Emancipator33 wrote:I doubt a ghost would be "born" or created with spellfire, however the ghost of someone once living (which is what ghosts normally are, heh) can indeed weild spellfire. Any and all special abilities and such that are tied to Con, switch to Charisma.

So yes, a ghost can have spellfire, in that sense, though i dont think a ghost would be able to convert the spellfire to healing energies as a living person could.
-----------------"Hail to the King Baby!"
2nd Response:
Drakron wrote:No they cannot.

From the OGL.

"They have no Constitution scores and are therefore immune to any effect requiring a Fortitude save (unless it affects objects). undead spellcaster uses its Charisma modifier when making Concentration checks."

Ghosts cannot use spellfire because they dont have living body to store it and the same goes to all undead creatures.
3rd Response:
Emancipator33 wrote:Well, spellfire isint really ogl (like it matters) so they couldnt have predicted that.

However whos to say spellfire cant be stored in an etheral body?

If someone travels to the ethereal plane does the spellfire disssapate?

eh, two diff points of view. The only person that can really answer this is Sean.
4th Response:
Aelryinth wrote:Undead can most assuredly use spellfire.

In the second novel there's a demi lich under Zhentarim control sent against shandril...he uses spellfire, like he did in life.

==Aelryinth
5th Response:
Drakron wrote:I would sugest you read those parts again, he could not without drain it first from a spellfire wielder with indicated that Ed Greenwood did not wanted spellfire to be used by undead creatures.
6th Response:
Emancipator33 wrote:not to knock on old El but it doesnt matter what he wanted.

we're talking a rule, not flavor twist in a novel.

lets just wait for Aznar thul to answer.
7th Response:
Drakron wrote:Even in the etherial a creature retains its constitution score, they dont lose it and even in the etherial plane a living creature can die.

Ghosts however dont have constitution scores because they are undead, a ghost spellcaster uses his charisma score for its concentration checks instead of constitution score since they dont have one.

Spellfire may not be OGL but everything on FR still uses the core rules unless stated otherwise, that is why clerics, wizards, paladins and rangers class entries have extra rules since in FR they work diferently that in standart (Greyhawk) D&D.
8th Response:
Garen Thal wrote:Or, it might simply mean that the way spellfire operated for that particular character was off-kilter. Ed does what he wishes with his characters, and if that means that they occasionally do not follow the game rules, then so be it; the rules are the lens with which one views the Realms for Ed, not the paint with which the portrait is composed.

There is nothing- other than the lack of a Constitution score or the whims of Mystra- that could keep undead from being able to wield spellfire. There are no Fortitude saves at all necessary for a spellfire wielder, so an undead wielder won't be immune to any of the harmful effects of spellfire.

Any Constitution check required for a spellfire wielder without a Constitution score can be replaced with a Charisma check: if you can use your Charisma modifier instead of your Constitution modifier for Concentration checks, you can replace the one ability score for the other for any ability check.

The healing ability of spellfire wielders does not use spell levels as positive energy, so it works equally well on living and undead targets.

This leaves only the limit on absorbed spell levels to be settled. Normally, this is based on Constitution, but (obviously) this statistic is unavailable. This means that we either replace Constitution with Charisma (as normal for undead characters), that undead use a base Constitution score of 10 for this purpose, or that they simply can't use spellfire at all.

The rules themselves don't provide an answer for which is the "right way," but neither do they preclude any of the options.
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:And we've had other things come up in the game where an undead creature would use its Cha instead of Con. Barbarian rage is the first thing that comes to mind....
--
Sean K Reynolds

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Ghostwalk] Ghostwalk Q&A

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 am

Wow, this is quite impressive. Thank you for all of the research and effort that went into compiling this here. It's amazing!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Tim Baker wrote:Wow, this is quite impressive. Thank you for all of the research and effort that went into compiling this here. It's amazing!
You're welcome. :)

(Now you know why I was asking for help to get back onto the Sean K Reynolds Boards. ;) That was holding me up a bit.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Should monks retain their improved unarmed damage when using

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:21 pm
Should monks retain their improved unarmed damage when using the Corrupting Touch feat?

Question:
Sarlax wrote:On a second issue, should monks retain their improved unarmed damage when using the Corrupting Touch feat?

Sarlax
I just noticed this question had been missed (back in the day) and pinged Sean K Reynolds, who was kind enough to give me this reply:
Sean K Reynolds at the Facebook group for Ghostwalk wrote: Hmm.

If you asked me this question ten years ago, I probably would have said yes.

But since then, I've become a lot more hesitant about 3E/3.5-style touch attacks because it's just so easy to hit with them. But, if I recall correctly, monks from that era still lacked some of the wild options that a same-level fighter might have by using a magic weapon (like a +1 flaming shock longsword). Filtered through my current ideas about touch attacks in the game, I might pick a middle road and say that ghost monks using Corrupting Touch deal half their special monk damage, or use the regular (non-monk) unarmed damage, whichever is better.

I haven't run the math on this. If in play it seems that the ghost monk's damage inflicted is falling behind the fighter's damage, then the monk should probably get their full monk damage with these attacks.
So, you have two answers, depending on if you prefer the Sean K Reynolds from 10 years back, or present day Sean. :)

(I don't know 5e very well, but from the little I've seen about stacking and stuff, it feels like present day Sean K Reynolds has ideas that would work better for a 5e version of Ghostwalk.)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri May 11, 2018 9:40 pm

I love that we can get an answer to a question about a book published more than a decade ago. :) Living in modern times has its advantages.
Last edited by Tim Baker on Fri May 11, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 11, 2018 10:11 pm

I love that he thinks the Fighter sets the standard for what sort of damage output you should expect.

Return to “Ghostwalk”