[Ghostwalk] Ghostwalk Q&A

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can ghosts take levels in PrCs?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Can ghosts take levels in PrCs?

Question:
Frozen Yakman wrote:2) Can ghosts take levels in PrCs?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{2) Can ghosts take levels in PrCs?}

Normally ghosts can only take levels in the eidolon or eidoloncer classes. However, IIRC there's a variant that lets them take any class. If you use that variant, then they can take levels in any prestige class for which they qualify.--
Sean K Reynolds
http://www.seankreynolds.com
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

If a character dies and takes a level in the Eidoloncer clas

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:29 pm

If a character dies and takes a level in the Eidoloncer class, what happens to their familiar?

Question:
Rhoward wrote:Hi!

I have just got my copy of Ghostwalk, so I have only read a few pages but it looks really great! However, I have a few questions :

- One of my character is dead and he takes the Eidoloncer classe. Then, what about its (or his) familiar?

Perhaps my questions seems stupid but this is my first time with ghosts ^^

Thanks for any replies...

Rhoward
Response:
Wycen Adamantite wrote:- One of my character is dead and he takes the Eidoloncer classe. Then, what about its (or his) familiar?

Well, unless his familiar died as well, you have to figure out what to do. I suppose sense the ward makes you a ghost instead of move on to the afterlife, you could say your familiar still has a link with you. If you read farther you'll find that there are spells to deal with dead familiars and animal companions.
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{- One of my character is dead and he takes the Eidoloncer classe. Then, what about its (or his) familiar?}

Unless his familiar died, too, his familiar will follow his ghost around. That is, assuming you're within the Manifest Ward and are therefore manifested (solid). If you're an incorporeal ghost it probably does what a familiar normally does when its master dies.
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can a ghost ride a horse, without needing feats, magic items

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Can a ghost ride a horse, without needing feats, magic items or anything else?

Question:

I have just got my copy of Ghostwalk, so I have only read a few pages but it looks really great! However, I have a few questions :

- Can a Ghost ride a horse without feats, magic items or anything else?

Rhoward
Response:
Wycen Adamantite wrote:- Can a Ghost ride a horse without feats, magic items or anything else?

Hmm. If it's a ghost horse, yes. Otherwise it'd be hard, you'd have to manifest for a round and ride it, but just for as long as you manifest. Normally that's a round.
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{- Can a Ghost ride a horse without feats, magic items or anything else?}

If it is manifested, yes.
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can a ghost decide to walk through solid matter?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:33 pm

Can a ghost decide to walk through solid matter?

Question:

- Can a Ghost decide to pass through a solid matter like wall, earth or is it automatic (like walking on the floor for instance...).

Rhoward
Response:
Wycen Adamantite wrote:- Can a Ghost decide to pass through a solid matter like wall, earth or is it automatic (like walking on the floor for instance...).

I kinda think it's automatic.
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{- Can a Ghost decide to pass through a solid matter like wall, earth or is it automatic (like walking on the floor for instance...).}

If a ghost is manifested, it is solid and can't walk through walls or anything else solid. If it is not manifested, it is incorporeal and can do all of the stuff that incorporeals can do.
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

If flesh is solid matter, can a ghost walk through it?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:36 pm

If flesh is solid matter, can a ghost walk through it?

Question:

- Is flesh a solid matter, then can a Ghost pass through it?

Rhoward
Response:
Wycen Adamantite wrote:- Is flesh a solid matter, then can a Ghost pass through it?

A ghost should be able to pass through it like anything else.
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{- Is flesh a solid matter, then can a Ghost pass through it?}

See above.
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Does a ghost character get the Ghost template benefits plus

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Does a ghost character get the Ghost template benefits plus the incorporeal ones?

Question:

- Does a ghost character get the Ghost template benefits PLUS the incorporeal ones, or does he get only the last?

Rhoward
Response:
Wycen Adamantite wrote:- Does a ghost character get the Ghost template benefits PLUS the incorporeal ones, or does he get only the last?

Not quite sure what 2 things you are looking at. You get the template, and whatever else it mentions in the ghost classes. Check the side bar for extra details, (the side bar being on the bottom of some page in this case if I recall).
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{- Does a ghost character get the Ghost template benefits PLUS the incorporeal ones, or does he get only the last?}

The ghost template includes the incorporeal benefits as long as the ghost is not manifested.

I think you need to read more parts of the book, particularly where it talks about the Manifest Ward and its effects on ghosts
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How does a living person who crosses the Veil of Souls retur

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:04 pm

How does a living person who crosses the Veil of Souls return to the land of the living?

Question:
BotDX wrote:How does a living person who crosses the Veil of Souls return to the land of the living?
Response:
Wycen Adamantite wrote:Only if your DM allows you.
Response 2:
james wrote:With great difficulty.

There are the three artifacts which, if combined, can allow one to return to the land of the living without losing memories. Getting those would work.
--
james o'rance
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:My work is done here.
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Why did you name a medusa villain "Saag Paneer"?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Why did you name a medusa villain "Saag Paneer"?

Question:
Brael1 wrote:OK, Monte, Sean, why on earth did you name a medusa villain "Saag Paneer"? That's my favorite Indian dish, and now I won't be able to eat it without thinking about writhing snaky hair!!!!

PS - Monte, what's your favorite place for Indian food in the Seattle area? Personally, I haunt Mayuri in Redmond... My ghost would probably have the glutton characteristic and eat lots of spicy spinach dishes...
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Because I love the taste of saag paneer, but I always pay for it later ... it's dangerous.

Just like how Saag Paneer the medusa sorcerer makes herself lovely, but is very dangerous.--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

I'm guessing that psionic characters would take the Eidolonc

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:07 pm

I'm guessing that psionic characters would take the Eidoloncer class and substitute psionics for magic, but would a Psychic Warrior take the Eidoloncer or Eidoloncer class?

Question:
dungeonmastercal wrote:Ok...this is bugging me. It's fairly easy to decide where a psionicist would fall as a ghost. Take the Eidoloncer class and substitute psionics for magic. Easy. But which class (Eidolon or Eidoloncer) would a psychic warrior use?

Oh, wurra wurra wurra....
Response:
theBlackJaw wrote:They would be stuck in the same boat as the other spellcaster/combat combo classes.

They could take the standard ghost class and not get any more Power Points, or they could take the caster progresion and get their points but not their Bab.

Bards have a similar problem, as do Paladins and Ranger a bit.

Its really just up to the character to decide which class they want. And keep in mind that you can switch those out for normal classes when you become alive again.

If I was a Psych-Warrior I'd take the standard ghost class most levels with an ocasinal level of the caster... and change them all in when I was brought back to life.--BlackJaw
"May the Orc spit in your Pie!"

www.Pseudolife.com
Question 2:
dungeonmastercal wrote:Thanks. So you can multiclass in both the Eidolon and Eidoloncer classes, then?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Sure. A ghost fighter could multi into eidoloncer if he really wanted to, or a ghost wizard into eidolon. It's just not the best choice. But you can split the difference if that lets you do what you need to do.
--
Sean K Reynolds
Check out my two newest books, Anger of Angels and Path of the Magi
Question 3:
dungeonmastercal wrote:Ok, my bad. I meant can you multiclass with levels in both Eidolon and Eidoloncer?
Response 2:
james wrote:Sure, why not?

--
james o'rance
Response 3:
theBlackJaw wrote:It won't work as well as the orginal class, because you'll slow your progression in casting, but yah, it might be better for you depending on what character classes and powers you had before you died.--BlackJaw

www.Pseudolife.com
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Do Eidolons or Eidoloncers gain hit points for having high C

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Do Eidolons or Eidoloncers gain hit points for having high Constitution scores?

Question:
dungeonmastercal wrote:Also, as ghosts are not living, do Eidolons or Eidoloncers benefit from high CON scores for hitpoints? And what about psionic powers that use CON as their primary ability?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Ghosts in the Ghostwalk setting are just another kind of living creature. I don't think the template says they lose their Con, and thus they'd get their Con bonus to hp. But I can't check right now because I gotta catch a train.
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can you play a manifested ghost in the lands outside Manifes

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:10 pm

Can you play a manifested ghost in the lands outside Manifest or do you have to stay in the city?

Question:
dungeonmastercal wrote:I only got this book a week or so ago, and haven't had time to fully read it like I'd like to. Can you play a manifested ghost character in the lands outside Manifest, or do you have to stay within the city boundaries? Will leaving Manifest make cause you to become incorporeal?
Response:
theBlackJaw wrote:The area around the city of Manifest is also an area of "Full Manifesting" but ony for a few miles or so (maybe a dozen miles... can't remember) but beyond that you go all incorporial again. BUT there are options. There are some feats that let you manifest fully, but generaly they take a standard action to use and last for 1 round... (the same is also true for feats that let you become incorporial in a full manifestation zone) then there are some spells (I think), and lastly you could posses a big wooden humanoid form and use that as your body... you'll find it listed in the equipment section. I always thought that would be a fun way to play. It's called a Spellcraft Manikin, and its got some fun rules for it on page 44.--BlackJaw

www.Pseudolife.com
Response 2:
Guest wrote:Hi there,
as much as you can consider Ghost "floating" outside Manifest, I would consider an ECL modifier as a PC in incorporeal form is a powerful creature that can unbalance the game. Within Manifest and in corporeal form (bare in mind that with the appropriate feat you can become corporeal and you can not become incorporeal again unless you use magic) the ECL is 0.

M " . . . the single assumption which makes our existence viable -- that somebody is watching . . ."

-- Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Response 3:
Mordaith wrote:Take in the fact while incorperal.. with no feats... you can't affect anything... or damage anything.. save with spells... and all someone needs is a +1 weapon... or even the ghost touch enhancment.... and boom.. your pretty damn injured....

-Mordaith
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Why did you write the True Afterlife, the way you did?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Why did you write the True Afterlife, the way you did?

Question:
Montilo wrote:Okay so eons ago now, I got Ghostwalk. And I really liked it. But there seemed, at least to me, to be some pieces missing. The biggest one being, why in the heck was the afterlife like the way it was. I dunno, maybe it's my quazi-christian upbringing, but I always was in favor of "The Afterlife is Kewl" thing. It always bothered me.

So then much later (partly to test out my new High Speed Connection, cuz I really didn't have the money at the time) I bought the PDF of Chaositech. I loved it to say the least.

So after some false starts with a homebrew campaign using Chaositech, I decided to combine my Monte products, and thought about Chaositech in the Ghostwalk setting. And it oddly seemed like a perfect fit. Here is my theory on it.

Okay way back in the prehistory of the modern Ghostwalk, while the Ghostwalk world was being formed, the Galchutt decided that they did not like the turn reality was taking. So as it says in Chaositech they began to fight the other gods. One of the things the Galchutt were doing, was when people would die, they would quickly eat the souls of the dead, so nobody could come back from the dead, Raise Dead, or no Raise Dead (maybe they would replace the persons Soul with a Galchutt, so people would come back different and working for the enemy). The gods of the time (I'm assuming this is Pre-Orcus) were horrified at this, and changed reality to better protect the souls of the dead. Hense the door (or perhaps doors into the True Afterlife, I'm toying with there being more than just one, although they are WAY far apart from each other) to the True Afterlife, and Ghosts being the way they are. Because souls stay on the mortal plane, and then immediately crossover to the Afterlife via a direct link, the Galchutt have no chance to grab them. Also it explains for me why the True Afterlife isn't really awesomely kewl. Because the Gods made it quickly, and they made it for everybody. Also to keep the Galchutt from entering the True Afterlife, and feasting on a soul buffet the gods put in some safe guards. Namely to bar the Galchutt the Gods themselves were barred slightly from the True Afterlife, ergo they don't show up their glory and gather Armies to recreate the Afterlife in their own image. Plus they made it so if a persons body is tossed into the Afterlife with the Ectoplasmic soul, that Soul basically gets their body back on the otherside. A person with a body has more protection against the Galchutt eating their soul should they get in.

Which brings me to the Yuan Ti and why they specifically (because most other humanoid races it says, are able to enter the True Afterlife) are barred from the True Afterlife. I am thinking that in the prehistory, during the war with the Galchutt. There was an Atlantis like civilization that was destroyed utterly in the war. Some of these people sided with the Galchutt, seduced by the power of Chaositech... or simply taken over by it. The Heirs of the experimentation with Chaositech (because most of it has now fadded away) are the Yuan Ti. The process of creating more Yuan Ti, and their very means of reproduction, sounds like a touch of Chaositech to me... if only a small bit of it. So when creating the True Afterlife, the gods specifically banned those who sided with the Galchutt from the True Afterlife, so the Galchutt could not spread within the True Afterlife.

Anyhoo the Galchutt were defeated in the ancient War, but not destroyed, and now their time has come again, and the old Galchutt are beginning to stir. Basically a Yuan Ti in Coil, has been trying to decipher an ancient Tome of their people which has been studied and studied for Millenia. But where others have failed, he succeded. Guess what this "book" is actually a Chaositech item, tied to the Galchutt (perhaps that the Galchutt are now waking up, the book has actually allowed it'self to be read), and this Yuan Ti now has the ability to create Chaositech items. So slowly as the campaign progresses the mutant Yuan Ti are going to become even more Mutated, and have strange new weapons to fight with.

Lastly maybe Phaant either was corrupted by the Galchutt, or she will be, and her church will become a front to the new Chaos cults.

I dunno what do you think?CRACKERS DO MATTER!!!
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{The biggest one being, why in the heck was the afterlife like the way it was.}

I like your reasoning, and let me tell you why the True Afterlife is the way it is in the book. You might find it interesting, considering some of your conclusions.

To drift off-topic a bit, the answer to your question is:
* Monte and I were told the book would be 7 module units (MUs, each MU being 32 pages long). He would design four, I two, then he another.
* When we put a proposal together with a page breakdown, we forgot that extra MU at the end, and turned over a 6-MU proposal.
* Monte left WotC and the rearranged the schedule so I'd do 4 MUs and he'd do 2. When I saw that the proposal was originally for 7 MUs, RPG talked to the Brand team and was told that Brand received the 6 MU proposal and changed the product's spec sheet to reflect the "new" size (I guess the thinking was, "They say they can do it in 6 MUs, so we'll do it in 6 MUs").
* We finished designing Ghostwalk.
* A month later, Rich Baker (creative director for the project) asked me, "Was Ghostwalk originally 6 or 7 MUs?" I told him 7, which was changed to 6. He pointed at the sell-sheet, which apparently had _never_ been changed to 6! So this book had been written 6 MUs long, but had been solicited to distributors and retailers as a 7 MU book (and therefore at a certain price). Changing that now (5 months after the inital solicitation would be a real problem.
* So they took me off of another project (can't remember what right now, but it was something I wanted to work on) and had me write another MU for the book. Monte and I had felt that leaving the True Afterlife mysterious and up to individual DMs was the best option, but Rich talked me into putting together what it might look like, since there would be some people who would want to know what the "official" version was. So I wrote 16 pages on that, and 16 on additional encounter sites within the Undercity since there weren't any of those in the book other than Monte's included big adventures (FYI, those sites are Kinship of Vermin, Lair of the Crippled One, Lair of the Eyeless Lady, and Morbid Maze).

So that's why the True Afterlife is the way it is: added at the last minute, and not in a way that we really wanted, but had to do.--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Does the cost of Raise Dead go up from 500gp if you are usin

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Does the cost of Raise Dead go up from 500gp if you are using the 3.5 conversion rules?

Question:
Valvorik.e wrote:Is the cost of Raise Dead changed in Ghostwalk as well?

This would make the concept of "easy return for 500gp" outdated and have effects in the setting, no?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Doh, I forgot about that.

Well, if you're using the 3.5 rules to the letter, then GW should use the 5,000 gp cost for raise dead. However, I don't agree with that price increase, so....--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can the Flesh to Stone spell be used to kill a character wit

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Can the Flesh to Stone spell be used to kill a character without them turning into a ghost?

Question:
james wrote:I'm looking over spells for inclusion in a Ghostwalk campaign, and I noticed that the flesh to stone spell seems to be an affective way of "killing" a character without having it appear as a ghost:
The subject, along with all its carried gear, turns into a mindless, inert statue. If the statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities. The creature is not dead, but it does not seem to be alive either when viewed with spells such as deathwatch.
How would you handle this in a Ghostwalk campaign?--
james o'rance
Response:
Benoist Poire wrote:That seems pretty straightforward to me: in the case of a flesh to stone, the victim is not dead. Therefore, it is not "killed" but out of the game. So yes, you are right: this could be a nice way of taking out an opponent without having the risk of seeing it/him/her later come back as a ghost. But flesh to stone is not "really" permanent. There are spells and effects that can bring back the creature to "life"/flesh.

Now, if you destroy the statue, however, you destroy the mindless creature.

If you cast a reverse effect/dispell on its pieces, the creature then dies and could come back as a ghost, couldn't it? Perhaps numerous open scars would still appear on its body, or a piece of its face would have be displaced following a line/breach. Ugly but cool.
Note: This question didn't get an answer yet.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can you kill a character, wait for them to come back as a Gh

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Can you kill a character, wait for them to come back as a Ghostwalk-ghost raise their physical body as an undead, then use both Proper State to turn that undead into a Ghostwalk ghost and then cast True Resurrection turn the original Ghostwalk ghost and the second Ghostwalk ghost into two copies of the same character?

Question:
Exule wrote:okay, I posted this before but noone seems to know how to solve this problem, but come on, dosn't anyone know this? I'm sure I can make up some reason why this can't happen, why the GH spell Proper State couldn't be used with true rez spell to make millions of copys of PCs/NPCs, but I just would like a simple line. something I can refrence,from in my books or the Errata or what ever, that clearly says yes or no you can't do that.
I know I could just make the rule but I guess if I play a ghostwalk game I'd like to copy people like that for an army or something, could be fun, but as DM its hard to deal with. so is there a page or something that deals with this loophole in the ghostwalk books? maybe there are other spells like this out there that would make a body with out the need for the first one or that make trapped souls or what ever become alive again, if this spell Proper State can be used like this then are there other spells in a none ghostwalk book that could be used in game?

(the first post of this was something like this: the ghostwalk spell Proper State makes incorporeal undead turn into ghostwalk ghosts, I think their vertion of a ghost is an agmented human or humanoid outsider with incorporeal subtype, something like that, the ghostwalk book also says you can use a ghosts dead body to make an undead not affecting the ghost and that you can use Create Greater Undead like normal (except to make a ghost since now thats not really an undead) which can make incorporeal undead, so the steps to copy someone would be kill them, their ghost comes back, turn their body into an incorporeal undead, use proper state on the new undead making a second ghost, which is a copy of the first ghost, true rez both, repeat. I'm sure I could just rule the undead can't be made into a ghost but thats exacly how the spell works, doesn't say anything about needing the first ghost owner to be truely dead or anything)
Anyone else got any loopholes to the rules or a reply to solve this one?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{okay, I posted this before but noone seems to know how to solve this problem, but come on, dosn't anyone know this? I'm sure I can make up some reason why this can't happen, why the GH spell Proper State couldn't be used with true rez spell to make millions of copys of PCs/NPCs, but I just would like a simple line.}

Proper state turns the spirit of a dead person (an incorporeal undead creatures) into ... a slightly different kind of spirit of a dead person (an outsider with the incorporeal subtype).

True resurrection lets you raise from the dead a person even if you don't have their body.

Create greater undead lets you create an incorporeal undead from a person's corpse. (It is unclear if the corpse remains ... when creating corporeal dead clearly the body becomes the undead, but nothing in the undead-creating chain of spells says what happens if you create an incorporeal undead.)

{the ghostwalk book also says you can use a ghosts dead body to make an undead not affecting the ghost and that you can use Create Greater Undead like normal (except to make a ghost since now thats not really an undead)}

No ... create greater undead creates an undead creature, not a Ghostwalk ghost.

{which can make incorporeal undead, so the steps to copy someone would be kill them, their ghost comes back, turn their body into an incorporeal undead, use proper state on the new undead making a second ghost, which is a copy of the first ghost, true rez both, repeat.}

If you're willing to kill someone, wait for them to come back as a ghost, cast an 8th-level spell on the body (create greater undead), cast a 4th-level spell on the undead (proper state) to turn it into a ghost, then cast a 9th-level spell on each ghost (true resurrection) ... I wouldn't call that a loophole, it would work just fine.

But there are easier ways to build an army. Create greater undead costs 50 gp per HD of the target creature. True resurrection costs 25,000 gp each. So if you're kooky enough to spend 25,000+ gp per copy of a person, yes, you can make an army, it's just dumb to do so.

No loophole, just a valid (if expensive and not worth the cost) combination of spells.Check out Handmade Soaps For GAMERS, created by my girlfriend Willow!
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How much does Orcus feature in Ghostwalk?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:19 pm

How much does Orcus feature in Ghostwalk?

Question:
Nighttfall wrote:So Shawn, answer me this: Are the rumors true that Orcus IS a god in this campaign setting or not? Darkness comes where Nightfall goes.
Sage and Evangalist of the Scarred Lands
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Uh, who are you talking to?
Seriously, though, yes, Orcus is the primary evil deity in this book. Monte & I wanted an evil deity of undead, and while we thought about creating yet another undeath deity, we thought it would be cooler to use Orcus, as he's well-known, already is concerned with undeath, and there's a precedent for characters worshipping Orcus in D&D.--
Sean K Reynolds
Response:
Nighttfall wrote:Sean,
My bad. But at least on the plus side, I didn't call you Seamus. ;) In any case thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! for using Orcus. My short life is complete. ;)Darkness comes where Nightfall goes.
2nd Question:
Nighttfall wrote:So I'm curious Sean. How much detail is there on old Horn face in this book? I mean is like "Hey Orcus is the god of Undeath here and that's it!" or do we get to meet some influential people associated with Orcus? Darkness comes where Nightfall goes.
2nd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Well, he's written up as a god. Some of the included adventurers have clerics of Orcus in them. There's a writeup of the country that his avatar took over (the avatar has since been killed, but the place is now a land of undead where he is the main deity). What do you mean by "influential people"? Other demons?--
Sean K Reynolds
2nd Response:
Nightfall wrote:Well like clerics that serve him, maybe unique demons. But if you already have that much written, I'm cool with that. :) Darkness comes where Nightfall goes.
3rd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:It does also have a new type of demon, the artaaglith, which is your typical goat- or ram-headed demon. Since they serve Orcus, they have clerical powers over undead.
And if you want writeups of other unique demons, check out the Characters section of my site ... everyone and everything that's cited as a follower or servant of "a powerful demon" or a "god of undeath" is referring to Orcus in the Ghostwalk campaign. :)--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

What does the [Shaper] tag in the Ectoplasm feat mean?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:22 pm

What does the [Shaper] tag in the Ectoplasm feat mean?

Question:
DrazenEvic wrote:Question
In Wizards site there is a feat from Ghostwalk:
Ectoplasm [Ghost, Shaper]
You can create ectoplasm, a gooey physical manifestation of base supernatural spiritual energy.

What is the meaning of Shaper? Maybe it is referring to Psion Shaper? If so is the case can this feat be taken as psions bonus feat (psion version from Mr. Cordells Mindscapes)?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Ghost powers are broken down into categories. Shapers are those who create ectoplasm and build stuff with it. Corruptors are those who learn to attack living flesh with a touch. Dominators are those who learn how to possess other creatures. And so on. The [Shaper] tag on the feat is just like the [Item Creation] tag ... it helps you identify what category a feat belongs to when you look at its listing. It doesn't have anything to do with psionics, though someone who uses psi in their game could probably tweak these things so they work together (Ghostwalk, like most core books, is written assuming you don't have the Psionics Handbook, so cross-linking like this isn't addressed).
--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Could I put a gladiatorial arena into Manifest without it wr

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Could I put a gladiatorial arena into Manifest without it wrecking the coolness of Ghostwalk?

Question:
Merganser86 wrote:Hey, all.
I'm going to buy GhostWalk when it's available in these parts, sure. The problem is that, while I think it sounds really cool (and I really want to have a moment where a nefarious NPC grins at the heroes and says, "Gonna take you on the Ghost Walk, boy,") I have no idea if it would fit into my next campaign at all. I'm running a Gladiator campaign, similar (I guess) to the one they write about in DRAGON all the time. I was planning to incorporate a "touring" segment of the campaign where the heroes travel around to different arenas and have side adventures while there.
Think that I could put a Gladiatorial Arena into Manifest without wrecking the coolness of Ghostwalk?
-LZph33r +h3 5killz. ph33r +h3m w1+h gr34+ ph33r, l35+ +h3y r0x0rz y0ur b0x0rz.
(Be afraid of those with superior talents, such as myself. You should fear them greatly, or else they may bedevil you.)
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Certainly! I could see ghosts battling each other, too, or perhaps legendary gladiators possessing fresh (and willing) recruits to fight their old nemeses one more time....--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Could you suggest a place in Forgotten Realms to put Manifes

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Could you suggest a place in Forgotten Realms to put Manifest?

Question:
Keldir Skirnir wrote:So can you suggest where a good location in the Realms for this Manifesto?John Remington
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:It's in the book. :)
Basically, any coastal place that has an island somewhat nearby.--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Would Combine Turning from the Ghostwalk Web Enhancement be

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Would Combine Turning from the Ghostwalk Web Enhancement be too powerful if used outside the setting?

Question:
CapnZapp wrote:This question concerns the divine feat Combine Turning from the Ghostwalk Web Enhancement.
This feat essentially lets you use up additional uses of turning to get +4 to any one attempt (+4 to both turning check and turning damage rolls) with no stacking limits. It has no particular prerequisites.
My question is simple (not having the book): would this feat be appropriate for regular D&D play?
It sure would make it easier to select the Path of the Turner.
But in a "normal" (non-ghostwalk) campaign perhaps it is too powerful to combine all your daily turning uses into one really powerful attempt?
In a undead-heavy campaign (with all those ghosts...) I can see doing this leaves the cleric naked for the rest of the day, but in a normal campaign it is not that common to have more than one really dangerous undead encounter a day. I can foresee the party cleric to concentrate his turning to a few really powerful attempts to ensure success when he bothers turning at all.
Also, sometimes the adventure assumes certain undead to be non-turnable (perhaps a friendly NPC ghost) for characters of the adventure's intended level. This feat would bypass such calculations.
Do Sean or Monte or the rest of you have any thoughts on this? Could I snatch this feat for my own game as-is, or does it needs toning down? Or is it totally dependant on Ghostwalk and should not be used "out of context"?
Thanks,
Karl-Henrik
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:I think it's fine for a non-GW campaign (I balanced it and all GW stuff against core). Remember that even if you get ten clerics to combine their powers with this feat, that +40 is still going to net you a maximum of "cleric's level +4" on the turning table, so you won't have an army of acolytes turning vampires and liches and such (thank you, core designers, for building that limitation into the system!).--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Is it intentional that the nightmare side effect of the Corr

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Is it intentional that the nightmare side effect of the Corrupt Arcane Studies feat does not affect sorcerers?

Question:
Unferth wrote:Is it intentional that the nightmare side effect of the Corrupt Arcane Studies feat does not affect sorcerers?
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:No, that's not intentional. Sorcerers that have the nightmares would not recover their previously-spent slots for 24 hours. Noted for WotC errata.--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Why was the True Afterlife built up as a mystery, but then e

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Why was the True Afterlife built up as a mystery, but then explained in a huge section?

Question:
Zero wrote:I have to chime in my vote on the "really like Chostwalk" side, but one thing did seem odd to me....

the first half of the book builds up the realms of the dead as a very mysterious place about which no one knows the answers... then in the middle of the thing there is a huge section telling all about what the realm of the dead is and looks like, the things it contains, and how things happen there.

I know that its something some people would want, but it really seems to defeat the purpose of making it mysterious to then give the DM the answer.

Also, a problem which plagues every single "all in one" book is that if the player wants to buy the book for the classes, feats, spells and general background knowledge they are also getting their hands on EVERYTHING else. This is a problem I've had with Wheel of Time, Call of Cthulhu, and many others, but it seems most pronounced in Ghost walk; bits of hidden agendas are reveiled all through the book, not just in a section near the back to be avoided.

All in all a great book Sean, you and Monte should be proud (and happy it finally got released).
Zero
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:{the first half of the book builds up the realms of the dead as a very mysterious place about which no one knows the answers... then in the middle of the thing there is a huge section telling all about what the realm of the dead is and looks like, the things it contains, and how things happen there.
I know that its something some people would want, but it really seems to defeat the purpose of making it mysterious to then give the DM the answer.}

I agree, and there's a reason why it's there. It's another chapter in the story of weird things involving the book.

Originally, the book was supposed to be 7 module units (an MU is 32 pages, so 7 is 224 pages). Monte was going to do 4 MUs, I was going to do 2, and then he'd work on another project and then come back to do one more MU for the book. However, when he and I put together our proposal for GW, we forgot about that "extra" MU, and did a rough page breakdown based on a 6 MU book.

When the brand team saw the 6 MU version, they apparently said, "Cool, we'll just make it 6 MUs then" and told R&D that the (oh, I can't remember the official name, but it's a form they have that lists the page count, softback/hardback, SRP, and so on for the book) form would be updated to reflect it being a 6 MU book.

When Monte announced he was leaving WotC, things shifted around a bit: they changed the design schedule so that I'd do 4 MUs and Monte would do 2. So that's what we did. We finished our stuff.

About a month after my design turnover (which, because it was longer that Monte's part, was after Monte finished his turnover) Rich called me into his office and asked if Ghostwalk was originally a 7 MU book made into 6 or a 6 MU book made into 5. I told him it was the former. He frowned and said that the brand team had just told him that Ghostwalk is supposed to be a 7 MU book! Apparently someone over there forgot to update the appropriate form, and nobody in brand remembered saying that the book was going to change from 7 MU to 6 MU. So suddenly this mean we were short 1 MU.

The initial answer was that Stan!, who was going to be the developer on the book, would just write 1 MU of material while he developed it. After an examination of the manuscript, Stan! pointed out that he'd need his month of development time for development, and he wouldn't be able to write the 1 MU in that time and still do a decent job of developing it.

So they pulled me off of Races of Faerun (for which I originally was going to do either 1.5 MUs or 2 MUs, and ended up doing only .5 or 1) to write more material for Ghostwalk. One of the things the book needed were more encounter sites in the undercities, so 16 pages of it went to that (Kinship of Vermin, Lair of the Crippled One, Lair of the Eyeless Lady, and Morbid Maze). One thing Monte and I talked about in the pre-design phase was adventuring beyond the Veil, but discarded it because we thought it would ruin the mystery. In the emergency need for that material, Rich and I decided that is what we would cover. I'm not really happy with how it turned out, and to me it feels tacked-on. At one point I offered to write more adventure sites, but Rich felt the material was good enough and didn't want to stress me out any more about deadlines for the book, so we went with it.

{Also, a problem which plagues every single "all in one" book is that if the player wants to buy the book for the classes, feats, spells and general background knowledge they are also getting their hands on EVERYTHING else. This is a problem I've had with Wheel of Time, Call of Cthulhu, and many others, but it seems most pronounced in Ghost walk; bits of hidden agendas are reveiled all through the book, not just in a section near the back to be avoided.}

True, DMs would be best served making handouts of the feats, classes, spells, and skills from this book, rather than having their players buy it.

{All in all a great book Sean, you and Monte should be proud (and happy it finally got released).}

Thanks, and we are. :)--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Why did it take so long for Ghostwalk to get published?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Why did it take so long for Ghostwalk to get published?

Question:
Terrainosaur wrote:I knew publishing was slow, but you got it done and they had it edited over a year ago?!Mitch
www.Terrainosaur.com
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Yes, it was originally scheduled for a Gen Con 2002 release, but they delayed and then canceled (and then uncanceled) it because Hasbro is very focused on "new" worlds that can easily be made into TV shows or movies, and they didn't feel that was the case with GW.--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Will there be a future Web Enhancement with a map of the cou

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Will there be a future Web Enhancement with a map of the countries and environment around Manifest?

Question:
DoctorEvil65 wrote:Sean, I just got Ghostwalk yesterday in the mail from Amazon.com, and so far I really like everything I've read...enough so that I'm considering a total overhaul of my current campaign just to fit it in.

I've already gone over the web enhancement that is posted, and I'm wondering if there are any plans for future web enhancements for GW?

Specifically, I was hoping that there was a map for the countries and environment around Manifest that are described in the book. Or player handouts that could be printed out that describe the Eidolon and Eidoloncer classes and apppicable Ghost feats.
Response:
Zero wrote:Yeah, I'm reading my copy and really hoping that WotC would do the maps you mentioned that they left out into a web enhancement.. wouldn't cost them anything as they are already made up.
Zero
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:The map is going to be posted; it's just a matter of time (they're trying to find out if the map was drawn and lost or just not drawn ... in the latter case it'll just take a little longer as they'll have to use my original map to draw a professional map).

As far as the handouts go, AFAIK they don't have any plans to post such a thing.--
Sean K Reynolds
2nd Response:
Kadh2000 wrote:Yeah, I found all these wonderful references to where X was on the map and how town Y was not on the map...then I went looking for the map and no map. I hope this is coming soon.***
"Cry woe, destruction, ruin, loss, decay;
The worst is Kadh, and Kadh will have his day!"
3rd Response:
DoctorEvil65 wrote:I have some good news and some bad news
The good news...WotC have created a Ghostwalk map gallery :)
http://www.wizards.com/default.a.../20030627a
The bad news, it doesn't seem to have the missing maps :(
2nd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Yeah, when we heard that a map was missing, they sent me all map files they had on hand for the book and asked if any of those were the missing map. The answer was no, so they started a more exhaustive search for a finished version of the missing map. I don't have any updates at this time (the web team and R&D are both gearing up for Gen Con at this time, so they're busy!).--
Sean K Reynolds
Note: This map was eventually put into the 2nd Web Enhancement for Ghostwalk. Before that came out, Sean K Reynolds posted his sketch map, so that fans could use that while he was waiting.

You can find links to both the original map and the professionally drawn version in my Sean K. Reynold's sketch map found topic. (I also have some notes in that topic about the changes that the professional cartographer made and some additional locations and marks on Sean's original map, as Sean's map is very interesting, from a design point-of-view.)
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Is something missing from the Monstrous Vampire template?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Is something missing from the Monstrous Vampire template?

Question:
Caerin wrote:Got the book for my birthday, and I'm really, really enjoying it.
One question- Is there something missing from the Monstrous Vampire template? I see the general "Creating a Monstrous Vampire" intro paragraph, without specifics, immediately followed by an example, but not how to actually apply the template to a creature...
Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:See the last sentence of the first paragraph under the "Creating a Monstrous Vampire" section. :)--
Sean K Reynolds
2nd Question:
Caerin wrote:It's the "and as noted below" that's throwing me off. ^^;
2nd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Hmm, I don't have the book in front of me, but my text turnover says "and as noted above," which refers to changing undead type. If it says "below" in the book, ah, well.... --
Sean K Reynolds
3rd Question:
Caerin wrote:"It [the creature] uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except as noted in the vampire template in the Monster Manual and as noted below" (then goes to the example). I was just wondering if anything changed beyond the appearance differences in the general description, like the creation of spawn. Thanks, though. ^_^
3rd Answer:
seankreynolds wrote:Nope, it's supposed to work exactly like the MM monster template, except that it can be used on monsters other than humanoids.--
Sean K Reynolds
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ghostwalk”