Well of Souls or Veil of Souls?

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Well of Souls or Veil of Souls?

Post by Havard » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:37 am

I've read some places that the City of Manifest is built on top of the Veil of Souls, while Wikipedia calls it the Well of Souls. Which is correct? If it is the Well of Souls, does it have any connection to Blackmoor's Well of Souls? Regardless, what is the Well/Veil of Souls in the Ghostwalk Setting?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Well of Souls or Veil of Souls?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:49 pm

I think it was Veil of Souls too. (I suppose they might use both terms in the book, but I doubt it.) I'll go have a dig through the book, to see if I can find it.

I don't know Blackmoor's Well of Souls. What's that?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:34 am

Page 9: "The city of Manifest is built over a place called the Veil of Souls—a supernatural door that separates the world of the living from the world of the dead. The Veil is the weakest point along the barrier between these two worlds, and there are substantive effects near it."

Page 112: "The gatehouse known as the Veil of Souls is actually a vast underground fortress, home to hundreds of Deathwarden dwarves. The Veil of Souls is shaped like a horseshoe, with the entrance on the inside of the curve. The back end of the curve is built into a huge stone wall, beyond which lies the land of the dead."

Page 113: "Once through the Moribund Hall, characters come to the Veil of Souls itself. Within a great stone arch, it seems as though the well-crafted dwarven walls simply give way to a natural rock passage filled with mist."

Page 111 has what is apparently an illustration of the Veil of Souls, making it look a bit like a Stargate between two enormous heavy doors, surrounded by medieval dwarven architecture.

There's only one mention in the book of a "Well of Souls," on the map of the Soulwaters on page 127. From the context, this seems to be the name given to the "other side" of the Veil of Souls; it's what the Veil is called by those who have passed through it. However, it isn't called that anywhere else in the book. There's a description on page 129:

"At the center of the isle is a cloud of thick mist 50 feet across and tall. Shining at the center of the mist cloud is an area of great light approximately 10 feet in diameter, primarily white but sometimes mixed with other colors, which shines day and night. The light illuminates the entire island but causes no harm to the eyes of sensitive creatures, nor does it harm undead in any way. From near the light pours a fast but shallow river ten feet wide that spills into the Soulwater. The light is a manifestation of the True Afterlife’s side of the Veil. A new arrival appears out of the light and normally wanders about until he stumbles out of the mist."

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:38 am

Big Mac wrote:I don't know Blackmoor's Well of Souls. What's that?
Here's a thread on Blackmoor's Well of Souls. Basically it's a volcano transformed into an artifact with the aid of the efreet. It's called the "Well of Souls" because hundreds of human souls had to be imprisoned in it to make it work.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:22 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Page 9: "The city of Manifest is built over a place called the Veil of Souls—a supernatural door that separates the world of the living from the world of the dead. The Veil is the weakest point along the barrier between these two worlds, and there are substantive effects near it."

Page 112: "The gatehouse known as the Veil of Souls is actually a vast underground fortress, home to hundreds of Deathwarden dwarves. The Veil of Souls is shaped like a horseshoe, with the entrance on the inside of the curve. The back end of the curve is built into a huge stone wall, beyond which lies the land of the dead."

Page 113: "Once through the Moribund Hall, characters come to the Veil of Souls itself. Within a great stone arch, it seems as though the well-crafted dwarven walls simply give way to a natural rock passage filled with mist."
Thanks Rip. I've updated the Wikipedia article for Ghostwalk. (I've also fixed the citation over there that had the old WotC URL and fixed an unusual artist name that people keep changing.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:17 pm

Thanks for the input guys! Haha, we can start a thread about using Ghostwalk in Blackmoor. Big Mac's post is really providing alot of great options for such a discussion to delve further into. I don't think using Ghostwalk in Blackmoor would be too difficult.

My main interest in starting this thread though was to learn more about the Veil of Souls and whether there were any similarities between it and the Well of Souls, especially given the Ghostwalk sources that (mistakenly?) used that term. I like Ripvanwormer's theory that the Well of Souls (in Ghostwalk) is the name used for the other side of the Veil of Souls though.

I wonder if there could be more than one Veil of Souls and whether the existence of such a doorway always creates a zone like with Manifest or not?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Havard wrote:Thanks for the input guys! Haha, we can start a thread about using Ghostwalk in Blackmoor. Big Mac's post is really providing alot of great options for such a discussion to delve further into. I don't think using Ghostwalk in Blackmoor would be too difficult.
MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Blackmoor related posts split into Using Ghostwalk in Blackmoor topic (with Havard's above comment quoted into other topic).
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Ghostwalk”