Deathwarden dwarves - are they playable?

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Deathwarden dwarves - are they playable?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:07 am

The clan of dwarves that lives below the city of Manifest (in the Deathwarden caverns close to the Veil of Souls) are the Deathwarden dwarves.

These dwarves perform the ritual called the Harrowing, which prepares dead physical bodies for the passage across the Veil of Souls. The Deathwarden dwarves claim to have been given the task of guarding the Veil of Souls by Chaniud*. Nobody is able to walk into the Veil of Souls and come out again, but the Deathwarden dwarves pull carts into the Veil of Souls and seem to be able to get back out of the mists (although nobody has ever seen Deathwarden dwarves come back out of the Veil of Souls).

* = See Ghostwalk page 110 "The Deathwarden Dwarves"

I'm wondering how viable it would be to run Deathwarden dwarf PCs**. The race has some big secret about the Veil of Souls, and a way to get past the darkmantles that live in The Great Pilar Cave. We know from the art that some of the dwarves are alive and some are ghosts, and we know that they farm mushrooms in the Underdark and have enough food to live, but there is not much of a description of them, so they seem a bit like they were supposed to be a mysterious NPC group. But a Deathwarden dwarf is used as a sample ghost in the Ghost template, in the Monster chapter.

** = I've actually noticed that there is no section in Ghostwalk to show players how to play any specific races (either standard PHB races or non-standard ones from other books). Maybe that is something we could fix with topics for the other playable races found in the area. :?

Has anyone ever done anything to make the Deathwarden dwarves a bit more playable...or to explain how they seem to be able to get in and out of the Veil of Souls?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Deathwarden dwarves - are they playable?

Postby Havard » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:11 pm

Very interesting! I think it would be cool if Deathwarden could be a kind of Prestige Class (in 3E terms) accessible to many different dwarf races.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Deathwarden dwarves - are they playable?

Postby Big Mac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:05 am

Havard wrote:Very interesting! I think it would be cool if Deathwarden could be a kind of Prestige Class (in 3E terms) accessible to many different dwarf races.

That might be one way to do it, with dwarves chosen from other clans, in a similar way to the Night's Watch, from Game of Thrones. But I think they are supposed to be a clan that has been chosen to live on the very edge of the Veil of Souls.

Perhaps in an implimentation of Ghostwalk rules for inclusion in a different campaign setting, your way would work better.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Ghostwalk