Psionics in Ghostwalk: Anyone tried it?

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Psionics in Ghostwalk: Anyone tried it?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:57 pm

A Ghostwalk fan, called Mark, asked if anyone had tried using psionics with Ghostwalk.

I've not thought about this before, but it's a good idea. My initial thoughts were that working out how ghosts, undead and Yuan-Ti would be the three most important areas to check.

I think the problem with this sort of thing is that both psionics and Ghostwalk are "optional rules", rather than core rules, and WotC didn't make a ton of support for tying various different optional rules products together. (It was mostly "Option A + Core", "Option B + Core", "Option C + Core", etc.) But it might be possible to infer how the different rules might fit together. :)

There are plenty of Psionic Rules in the SRD that could be trawled over: Having a super quick skim through those SRD pages, the things I see that might be worth looking at more are:
  • The duergar (psionic dwarves). I don't think they would be based in Manifest, but it should be possible to stick a duergar city under the ground on the Ghostwalk map.
  • The Eidoloncer is probably not a good fit for the psionic Classes (and Prestige Classes): It might need to be modified to create a new "Eidolonpsion" class,
  • Autohypnosis: This Skill might have some use for ghosts or against ghosts.
  • Ghost Attack: This Psionic Feat is probably going to be something a lot of PCs might want to take. It would be a real game-changer.
  • Shadow Body: This psionic power might get used by a ghost. You might need to make a call on what happens.
  • Ectoplasm: There are a lot of pages dealing with ectoplasm. That has an overlap with the Ectoplasm from Ghostwalk. Looking at that is a must. Either the Astral Ectoplasm needs a new name or you need to decide that both Ectoplasms are the same thing (in which case this becomes a fairly major thing).
  • Ghost Crystal Anchor: This probably wasn't designed to work against ghosts. You might need to rename it...or make it work against ghosts.
  • Psychoactive Skins: These might be useful to ghosts, as they are made of Ectoplasm.
  • Undead Psionic Creatures: This would be undead, rather than ghosts. This would be a fairly important thing to deal with.
There may be other things in the SRD that I missed.

There may also be some psionic rules that are not in the SRD that would fit well with Ghostwalk.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Mark Roberson
Kobold

Re: Psionics in Ghostwalk: Anyone tried it?

Post by Mark Roberson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the help.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Mark Roberson wrote:Thanks for all the help.
You're welcome Mark. And talking of "welcome", welcome to The Piazza. Thanks for coming over to reply to me here. You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic and say "hi" to the community at large, let them know what stuff you like (including psionics and Ghostwalk) and tell them anything else you want them to know.

Your choice to combine psionics with Ghostwalk was an interesting combo and I'm looking forward to seeing what you (and anyone else who is interested in this) can do with the Ghostwalk/psionics combo.

I certainly had not noticed the ectoplasm thing before. I am actually thinking now that it would be good to make ectoplasm one thing - not two - as I think that would create much more of a tie-in between ghosts and psionics. Ghostwalk rules say that ectoplasm vanishes after a while, but can be preserved, so that might actually feed back into some of the psionic rules. I think we could have an entire discussion just about ectoplasm. :)

Have you had any thoughts about where you are going to go next?

Are you using the Ghostwalk campaign setting? Do you need to find locations to insert new psionic races (like the duergar)?

Or do you have your own campaign setting that you want to insert both the Ghostwalk rules and psionics rules into?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Big Mac wrote:I certainly had not noticed the ectoplasm thing before. I am actually thinking now that it would be good to make ectoplasm one thing - not two - as I think that would create much more of a tie-in between ghosts and psionics. Ghostwalk rules say that ectoplasm vanishes after a while, but can be preserved, so that might actually feed back into some of the psionic rules. I think we could have an entire discussion just about ectoplasm. :)
I made a topic: What is ectoplasm and where can it be found?

Return to “Ghostwalk”