Unspoken rule for intellegent undead

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Unspoken rule for intellegent undead

Postby Big Mac » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:23 pm

I found an interesting exchange between a Ghostwalk fan and Sean K Reynolds over at Monty Cook's Okay Your Turn boards:

Fuzzy Necromancer said this:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:One thing about the spellcasting I just found a little bizzare. It says for create undead and create greater undead that "the ghost is not aware of the defilement of its body". This would imply that the ghost is not destroyed/sucked into the body/whatever when the spell is cast. The odd thing about this is that theoretically a high level evil cleric could cast create greater undead on a dead person and make them into an MM ghost while that person's ghostwalk ghost was stil around. You could even die, come back as an outsider ghost, and team up with your undead ghost. Weird.

And then Sean K Reynolds said this:
seankreynolds wrote:{This would imply that the ghost is not destroyed/sucked into the body/whatever when the spell is cast.}

Well, for mindless undead, this never was the case anyway.
For intelligent undead, it just means there's a (subtle, unspoken) special rule for the setting that means creating intelligent undead draws from the Negative Material Plane to create a new psyche, rather than corrupting the body's original psyche.

And considering how people in the setting view ownership of their own bodies, a ghost teaming up with his own undead corpse isn't too likely, unless you're a really sick freak. :) --
Sean K Reynolds
http://www.seankreynolds.com

Fuzzy Necromancer then said this:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:[nitpick]But the (undead)ghost doesn't use the person's body, being incorporeal. ;) :P [/nitpick]

I guess it just would feel weird to have to ghosts of the same person.

And another Ghostwalk fan, called Fontbone said this:
Fontbone wrote:
Quote:And considering how people in the setting view ownership of their own bodies, a ghost teaming up with his own undead corpse isn't too likely, unless you're a really sick freak.

Quote:I guess it just would feel weird to have to ghosts of the same person.

I don't know. There's something terribly cool to me about a necromancer dying and raising the undead ghost of his own corpse to do his bidding. ;) --
Fontbone
--
Calvin: Verbing weirds language.
Hobbes: Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding.

Now the "two ghosts" thing is not quite correct, because the sidebar on Page 8 of Ghostwalk says that the "Ghost" from the Monster Manual should rarely be used in the Ghostwalk campaign. They are "almost unheard of" and are referred to as "undead skulkers", "undead haunts" or "undead spirits" in the small number of (in character) books they are mentioned in.

But we have this rule where the Negative Material Plane is used to create new psyche's for intelligent undead. That's kind of interesting, because incorporeal or not, a ghost PC who does not look after their own dead body might end up fighting against an intelligent undead created from their body.

I guess the GM would take a copy of the PCs character sheet, apply some sort of undead template and then create an undead nemesis that knows everything that the PC knows.

As for a ghost necromancer raising own dead corpse as a ghost (or "undead skulker" to use one of the Ghostwalk terms) that seems a bit weird, but I suppose there could be some circumstances where a necromancer might "need" an undead and might only have their own dead body to hand.

One thing I do wonder, though, is what happens to a body that is used to create an incorporeal undead.

I'm thinking of this more from the point of view that, if a ghost PC or NPC has their body "hijacked" by an undead, and wants to be resurrected, they are going to "need" to get that body back if they want to be brought back to life. An incorporeal undead is presumably "removing" something from the body (or making it vanish into an incorporeal mist or somesuch).

There needs to be some sort of "repossession" ;) proceedure that PCs would need to attempt, if they are going to track down undead bearing stolen bodies.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Ghostwalk