[Manifestspace] The Skystones

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Manifestspace] The Skystones

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:28 pm

I thought I had made a topic about this before, but apparently I had not.

There are three metalic-gold coloured stones (called The Skystones) that fell from space over a thousand years ago. They landed in the Hikirian Pennsula and are in a straight line with 500 feet between each stone. The line passing through the stones points at Manifest. Each one is in the centre of a small crater.

They are five feet across and any ghosts, that approach witin 1,000 feet of any of the stones, is forced to manifest fully. Incorporeal undead are forced to stay outside the 1,000 zone.

Clerics of both Aluvan and Eanius have both built shrines nearby as each church thinks The Skystones are religious artefacts.

I'm wondering if the material that The Skystones is made from is related somehow to adamantine. I'm wondering if they melted and became spheres, while falling from space.

Has anyone got any theories about these things, where they came from and how to use them in a game?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Manifestspace] The Skystones

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:Has anyone got any theories about these things, where they came from and how to use them in a game?
I imagine civilized centers like the city of Manifest are going to spring up around these. Those that die while within the one-thousand foot radius have an opportunity to settle their affairs before venturing out past the zone and possibly on to their final reward. I also imagine some of these areas could become necropolises (necropli?). Perhaps the PCs need to venture to one of these necropolises to learn of the Skystones.

Maybe the skystones have more effects, working like Eberron Manifest Zones.

Maybe a few of the Skystones were used in ages past to create 'Skyforged', the Ghostwalk equivalent of the Warforged from Eberron. Alternately and/or used in addition used to as a component in the Ritual of Soulforging (perhaps reducing the Skill Check and/or number of successes by half) to allow the inclusion of Gearforged from Midgard in the setting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Has anyone got any theories about these things, where they came from and how to use them in a game?
I imagine civilized centers like the city of Manifest are going to spring up around these. Those that die while within the one-thousand foot radius have an opportunity to settle their affairs before venturing out past the zone and possibly on to their final reward. I also imagine some of these areas could become necropolises (necropli?). Perhaps the PCs need to venture to one of these necropolises to learn of the Skystones.
That's a great suggestion for how to use this sort of thing.

The canon did say that The Skystones have sat here for over a thousand years. I tend to assume that anything in D&D is stable, unless the canon suggests otherwise, so I would guess that if a small village was going to pop up, that it would have popped up already. (That's not how I expect other D&D fans to roll, but it's one of the things I use whenever I am trying to infer how things work from canon.)

However, this might make an excellent place for people travelling on the ghostwalk to camp, because of the protection from the undead.

I was wondering if The Skystones were somehow summoned down from the sky, by a spellcaster who was trying to protect ghosts on the ghostwalk. 1,000 years ago is the time when Manifest was established, so that suggests that The Skystones are some sort of "pre-historic" thing that was here before the elves discovered the Veil of Souls. So that disrupts my pet theory. I wonder if there might have been some sort of pre-historical version of the ghostwalk that was carried out by a long-lost civilisaiton that predated the elves.

Angel Tarragon wrote:Maybe the skystones have more effects, working like Eberron Manifest Zones.
That's a good way to infer information about how Manifest and the area around The Skystones might work. :)
Angel Tarragon wrote:Maybe a few of the Skystones were used in ages past to create 'Skyforged', the Ghostwalk equivalent of the Warforged from Eberron. Alternately and/or used in addition used to as a component in the Ritual of Soulforging (perhaps reducing the Skill Check and/or number of successes by half) to allow the inclusion of Gearforged from Midgard in the setting.
I don't think it's possible for people to break these things up and turn them into golems.

I think I'd personally be less likely to use warforged in the Ghostwalk campaign setting, as it's central them is connected to souls. But "soulforged" creatures are probably something that would make for their own topic.

Presumably you would be talking of a shellcraft manikin that was of such good quality that a ghost could be permanantly bound into it.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:I don't think it's possible for people to break these things up and turn them into golems.
Well, that's one way to go, and if you don't want to use it that's fine. Alternately, perhaps, these stones house one soul or a contained deity of immense power that has imparted its knowledge of eldritch lore that helped in the initial creation of golems in the world. I think the deity approach would be helpful in explaining, if necessary, how/why these Sky Stones have additional effects/powers.

Big Mac wrote:I think I'd personally be less likely to use warforged in the Ghostwalk campaign setting, as it's central them is connected to souls. But "soulforged" creatures are probably something that would make for their own topic.
Gearforged are essentially soulforged...the soul of the recipient of the process in the Ritual of Soulforging has the soul displaced from their biological body into an inorganic body.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:22 pm

I wonder if Sean K Rynolds or Monte Cook (whoever wrote that bit) based the Skystones on the Stone spheres of Costa Rica. :?

I wonder if the myths about the stone spheres of Costa Rica could be used as inspiration for myths about the Skystones. :)
Stone spheres of Costa Rica article at Wikipedia wrote:Numerous myths surround the stones, such as they came from Atlantis, or that they were made as such by nature. Some local legends state that the native inhabitants had access to a potion able to soften the rock. Limestone, for example, can be dissolved by acidic solutions obtained from plants. Research led by Joseph Davidovits of the Geopolymer Institute in France has been offered in support of this hypothesis.[15] However, most of the spheres were created from gabbro, an acid-resistant igneous rock.[16]

In the cosmogony of the Bribri, which is shared by the Cabecares and other American ancestral groups, the stone spheres are “Tara’s cannon balls”. Tara or Tlatchque, the god of thunder, used a giant blowpipe to shoot the balls at the Serkes, gods of winds and hurricanes, in order to drive them out of these lands.

It has been claimed that the spheres are perfect, or very near perfect in roundness, although some spheres are known to vary over 5 centimetres (2.0 in) in diameter. Also, the stones have been damaged and eroded over the years, and so it is impossible to know exactly their original shape. A review of the way that the stones were measured by Lothrop reveals that claims of precision are due to misinterpretations of the methods used in their measurement. Although Lothrop published tables of ball diameters with figures to three decimal places, these figures were actually averages of measurements taken with tapes that were nowhere near that precise.[17]

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:49 pm

If we are going to hold true to erosion, we need to consider that re-entry will damage anything that isn't an artifact.

Are these 'stones' artifacts?

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:42 am

It would suit my purposes in worldbuilding to make one such location turn into a hub for very tawdry and crass commerce.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:If we are going to hold true to erosion, we need to consider that re-entry will damage anything that isn't an artifact.

Are these 'stones' artifacts?
They probably count as artifacts, as nobody has destroyed them or dispelled the magical effect they create.

As for damage from re-entry, we know what we have now. It wouldn't be too hard to back-calculate if you really wanted to have heat cause damage to a larger object.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:27 pm

willpell wrote:It would suit my purposes in worldbuilding to make one such location turn into a hub for very tawdry and crass commerce.
The Skystones are all supposed to be together in one place, but you can do anything in your own homebrew, like having multiple Skystones across the world, I suppose.

Return to “Ghostwalk”