Races of Ghostwalk

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Races of Ghostwalk

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 pm

There is no Character Creation section in the Ghostwalk book, to tell player's how the various races work if they are using the campaign setting, so I thought I would try to extrapolate from what is in other sections of the book.

Races of Ghostwalk: Monstrous Races of Ghostwalk:
  • Lizardfolk (Level Adjustment: +1 - Racial Hit Dice: 2)
  • Minotaurs (Level Adjustment: +2 - Racial Hit Dice: 6)
  • Orcs (Level Adjustment: +0 - Racial Hit Dice: 0)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Races of Ghostwalk

Post by willpell » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Yuan-Ti are a major presence in the setting, and I definitely think there's huge potential for fun intrigue in playing a Pureblood infiltrator.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 am

If you want minotaurs to be playable characters, they can't be ECL 8. I'd suggest adapting the ones in Dragonlance's campaign setting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm

willpell wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:35 pm
Yuan-Ti are a major presence in the setting, and I definitely think there's huge potential for fun intrigue in playing a Pureblood infiltrator.
I'm not so sure they would work as an option for player characters. :?

Broodguards have no advancement option, so they are probably not intended to be playable.

I'm looking for a Level Adjustment for the Tainted One, but can't find one. Is the Pureblood the version from the Monster Manual? (I've not got that far in my Monsters of Ghostwalk research yet.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:09 pm

willpell wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 am
If you want minotaurs to be playable characters, they can't be ECL 8.
Why can't they be ECL 8?
willpell wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 am
I'd suggest adapting the ones in Dragonlance's campaign setting.
Dragonlance does a great thing, on page 175 of Races of Ansalon, where they make a Thoradorian Minotaur Racial Class, that spreads out the 6 levels of Racial HD over 8 levels. That folds the LA of 2 into the class and allows people to start off with an ECL 1 Minotaur that has 1 HD and a few of the special abilities that Minotaurs have.

I don't know how the base Thoradorian Minotaur differs from the base non-DL Minotaur, but I've already been thinking of doing the same thing as those Racial Classes. (Sean K Reynolds has done something similar to that on his website, but not specifically for Ghostwalk.)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Yes, Pureblood is in the Monster Manual. Granted, it's ECL 8, which I just got done saying is bad, but they're in there. As for tainted ones (not so much broodguards probably), I haven't been able to find a 3.5 version, but the 3.0 was printed at least three times (one of the others is in Monsters of Faerun), so at the very least, I'm sure there's a web enhancement somewhere which converts them to the new rules and gives them a level adjustment.
Big Mac wrote: Why can't they be ECL 8?
It grossly limits the potential for advancement. You might be able to have one PC who holds his own like that, but in terms of treating them as a race in the setting...what, are you going to have a village of Minotaur commoners that all start at
28000 XP, with all their skill points in Intimidate or the three perception skills, needing 8000 XP to gain a single level in any actual class?
Dragonlance does a great thing, on page 175 of Races of Ansalon, where they make a Thoradorian Minotaur Racial Class, that spreads out the 6 levels of Racial HD over 8 levels. That folds the LA of 2 into the class and allows people to start off with an ECL 1 Minotaur that has 1 HD and a few of the special abilities that Minotaurs have.

I don't know how the base Thoradorian Minotaur differs from the base non-DL Minotaur, but I've already been thinking of doing the same thing as those Racial Classes. (Sean K Reynolds has done something similar to that on his website, but not specifically for Ghostwalk.)
You know that monster classes debuted in Savage Species, right? In fact, the Minotaur is the specific creature used to demonstrate the process of making one. They aren't exactly obscure, but they also don't really fix the problem. They allow you to start below your full ECL, but you still have no freedom to go outside the box which the Monster Manual put that creature into (and the levels where you don't get an HD are terrible).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 17, 2018 5:05 pm

willpell wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:32 pm
Yes, Pureblood is in the Monster Manual. Granted, it's ECL 8, which I just got done saying is bad, but they're in there. As for tainted ones (not so much broodguards probably), I haven't been able to find a 3.5 version, but the 3.0 was printed at least three times (one of the others is in Monsters of Faerun), so at the very least, I'm sure there's a web enhancement somewhere which converts them to the new rules and gives them a level adjustment.
I'll take a look at that.

I probably wouldn't want to use it myself, as I'm not into the evil character thing, but I've seen playable drow included in some products, so I'll have a think to see if it's something inside the scope of what I am trying to do.
Big Mac wrote: Why can't they be ECL 8?
It grossly limits the potential for advancement. You might be able to have one PC who holds his own like that, but in terms of treating them as a race in the setting...what, are you going to have a village of Minotaur commoners that all start at
28000 XP, with all their skill points in Intimidate or the three perception skills, needing 8000 XP to gain a single level in any actual class?

You know that monster classes debuted in Savage Species, right? In fact, the Minotaur is the specific creature used to demonstrate the process of making one. They aren't exactly obscure, but they also don't really fix the problem. They allow you to start below your full ECL, but you still have no freedom to go outside the box which the Monster Manual put that creature into (and the levels where you don't get an HD are terrible).
[/quote]

I'm afraid your complaints about how the ECL of the minotaur work is outside the scope of what I'm trying to do here. So I'm not going to engage you about this any more on this topic. But you might want to bring this sort of thing up in the 3rd Edition forum. I think that's a better place for you to propose a variant system that you think works better. :)

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 pm

willpell wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:32 pm
All the racial traits for the playable yuan-ti races are listed on pp. 190-191 of FR Serpent Kingdoms. That includes the broodguard, tainted one, and pureblood. The level adjustments for each race are +3, +3, and +2. FYI, the tables also break down the racial traits for asabis, firenewts, khaastas, lizard kings, ophidians, sarrukhs, trens, troglodytes, and pterafolk.

:mrgreen:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 am

Just what we need, playable Sarrukh. This is how things like Pun-Pun happen. XD

Return to “Ghostwalk”